Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Charliefarlies Guide To The Toyota 2Ad Diesel Engine And Its Issues.

CharlieFarlie

Thank you for that Parts King. Really appreciate any replies to my question. Will they also have any info regarding an engine change if a particular car has had this carried out

If it was carried out under warranty at a UK dealer it will be on the system

. A Toyota dealer should also be able to call up the maintenance history if it's on Toyota's system - not all dealers seem to enter onto this though (Arnold Clark don't seem to, at least around Glasgow).

Any Toyota dealer can check service history for you, AS LONG as the history was carried out in the Toyota network, we cannot see Fred in the shed services :mellow:

Arnold Clark are not exactly "Fred in the Shed" - over 200 dealerships. If they do enter the work that they do into the Toyota system it doesn't show up under MyToyota whereas the work done on my car by Inchcape & Vantage does.

Some of the larger "Groups" run their own computer systems. 95% of dealers use a Kerridge based system called V8. Any work carried out at a dealer that uses V8 will automatically be uploaded to TGB every night and will show on Toyota's intranet for dealers the next day in the VIA (vehicle information area) and also on "my Toyota" . Systems outside of the V8 network, often take longer to upload, and sometimes due to outages and errors, might never be uploaded at all. In general the vast majority of service history is recorded

That's fantastic info parts king. really appreciated. I'm assuming then that Toyota GB would have the info on any warranty work might be easier to call them as our local dealership have a habit of not returning calls.

Thanks again

Tried that they weren't very helpful unfortunately in fact denied that there was ever an issue. Saying that, it was the person who was showing us the car. I Was assuming that if an engine is changed then the number would have to be changed on DVLAS database but that doesn't show up on HPI check. I've really got my heart set on a T180 but my budget doesn't stretch to the later version unfortunately

You are probably going to hate me fore saying this, but think long and hard before you go for a T180. They seem particularly prone to the issues discussed on this thread (not scientifically, but that is my perception), and when things go wrong they can be expensive to repair. Bear in mind that the early engines were 'repaired' (with varying degrees of success) rather than getting the 3/4 engine from Toyota. If you do decide to get one, worth ensuring you establish that your chosen vehicle has had the latter.

Tried that they weren't very helpful unfortunately in fact denied that there was ever an issue. Saying that, it was the person who was showing us the car. I Was assuming that if an engine is changed then the number would have to be changed on DVLAS database but that doesn't show up on HPI check. I've really got my heart set on a T180 but my budget doesn't stretch to the later version unfortunately

You are probably going to hate me fore saying this, but think long and hard before you go for a T180. They seem particularly prone to the issues discussed on this thread (not scientifically, but that is my perception), and when things go wrong they can be expensive to repair. Bear in mind that the early engines were 'repaired' (with varying degrees of success) rather than getting the 3/4 engine from Toyota. If you do decide to get one, worth ensuring you establish that your chosen vehicle has had the latter.

Thank for the info

When you say later cars do you mean after a certain time I.e 2007+? Also is it only the T180 that were affected or all the 2.2 models.

Really strange as the prices are quite strong for the Rav T180. I think if I find something that's a later 2008 model am I correct in assuming they would be covered in the extended warranty. In the mean time I will continue looking and hopefully if I find one that's had the engine changed and everything adds up I'll be happy.

Thank for the info

When you say later cars do you mean after a certain time I.e 2007+? Also is it only the T180 that were affected or all the 2.2 models.

Really strange as the prices are quite strong for the Rav T180. I think if I find something that's a later 2008 model am I correct in assuming they would be covered in the extended warranty. In the mean time I will continue looking and hopefully if I find one that's had the engine changed and everything adds up I'll be happy.

It's not so much the age of the car, but rather when the issue was identified. I think the belief early on was that the engines could be rebuilt in the dealers, but it's my perception that quite a number of these failed again, so Toyota moved to fitting a rebuilt engine. The improved parts fitted with the engine vary from car to car from what I recall reading. For instance, I know some improvements were made to EGR valve design and the pipework for the differential pressure sensor. The decision on whether these were fitted was down to evidence of an issue (which makes me think it's feasible a few extra issues may lurk down the line for some engines).

I've driven Toyotas for years and would no hesitation in recommending any of the others, but I'm not sure the price commanded match the risk profile in the case of the T180.

I've only had Toyotas and currently have a 2003 D4-D I wouldn't move from toyota no matter what. Not sure if it still applies when we bought our Rav it had. 2 yrs remains on its warranty when that finished we bought an extended warranty for another 2 years not sure how the warranty system works think will try and get some info on that

I've only had Toyotas and currently have a 2003 D4-D I wouldn't move from toyota no matter what. Not sure if it still applies when we bought our Rav it had. 2 yrs remains on its warranty when that finished we bought an extended warranty for another 2 years not sure how the warranty system works think will try and get some info on that

Thank for the info

It was all 2.2s & not just those fitted in RAVs (indeed 2.0s of the same engine family were also involved). As far as you are concerned (& clipped from the bit at the start of this thread):

��RAV4 with 2AD (Prod. Date: Jul 2005 to Dec 2008)

Age / Mileage Covered

These guidelines cover vehicles up to 7 years old and 111,846 miles (180,000 km), whichever the sooner. This is conditional on there being a retail customer complaint and the vehicle having been reasonably maintained".

So basically most 2007 cars are already out of the goodwill warranty that was instituted & 2008 cars have at max only a little over a year left.

To be fair the best guestimates put the nos. affected at under 5% but you can't predict which 5% ... It's that sword of Damocles hanging over them & the cost of repair outside warranty (Toyota won't supply the exchange engines for retail sale so it's either find a salvaged engine or a brand new one plus fitting & possibly new clutch & DMF whilst it is all out) that makes them hard to recommend as a buy now.

Thank you for that. I'm only getting the info from this thread if I hadn't come across this I was none the wiser.Our 2.0 D4-D has been a fantastic car apart from normal wear and tear it's never let us down, hence why we wanted another Rav. I know Toyota used to offer extended warranties for cars up to 10 years old providing they were serviced by Toyota at least once a year Because when the warranty expired on ours we had a letter from Toyota asking if we wanted to extend it on our current car. I wonder if they still are selling these might be worth contacting Toyota to see if they still offer those.

Thank you again for your reply.

Thank you for that. I'm only getting the info from this thread if I hadn't come across this I was none the wiser.Our 2.0 D4-D has been a fantastic car apart from normal wear and tear it's never let us down, hence why we wanted another Rav. I know Toyota used to offer extended warranties for cars up to 10 years old providing they were serviced by Toyota at least once a year Because when the warranty expired on ours we had a letter from Toyota asking if we wanted to extend it on our current car. I wonder if they still are selling these might be worth contacting Toyota to see if they still offer those.

Thank you again for your reply.

Thank you frosty balls ur a star!!

So I'm assuming if I could find something with a good toyota history might be worth going down that route. I'm after something 2007+

Thank you again

the extended warranty isn't going to be cheap though - reckon on £500 per year but best to get exact figures on the specific car that you are looking at.

I think it's a bit of a gamble I've got my heart set on a diesel due to the high mileage we do. If I do buy the warranty and it was to go wrong it'll pay for itself as replacing the engine would cost a lot more then at the same time if I don need it for anything else it should be ok hopefully

Thank you for you reply

Having an extended manufacturers warranty on a car is well worth the money in my view. Especially with these oil burners.

That's what I'm thinking of doing if I can't find a Rav that's had the engine replaced. The only thing I'm unsure of is can you still buy the warranty say for example I buy a 2007 model which is approaching 7 years and is under the 100K mileage limit or is the extended warranty option only available when the original 3 year warranty expired. I will hopefully give Toyota a ring on Monday to clarify this.

Thank you for your reply

• 2 months later...

Somebody correct me if I'm wrong, (as I'm sure you will) but it seems the bottom line with the 2ad engines is the EGR valve,..everything comes back to this rascal, although there are others factors that dont help...fuel/oil quality.

Not every owner of a 2AD/150 which is non dpf are mechanically minded, fair enough, and just flirt supermarket diesel in, end of.

If owners were to have the EGR valve thoroughly cleaned every 10k miles approx, (there is a good how to on here), and also use quality diesel, with fully syn engine oil changed regularly, it would help massively.

I have 07 1AD, admittedely not affected as much, but I do all of the above and it runs like a swiss watch, but when I first cleaned out the EGR, I was shocked at the amount soot/crud call it what you like in there, almost blocking the path to the manifold, needless to say I do regular now, and fingers crossed as they say.

Seems the problem is caused by excessive carbon build up in the piston chambers and cylinder head, which then results in the cylinder head getting damaged. No one seems to know what modifications were made by Toyota for the replacement engine. Perhaps the replacement engine is basically the same, but a modified EGR and inlet is fitted and possibly the upgraded SCV valve (Suction Control Valve) which again is another main problem with this engine. The latest engine control software is also upgraded, which makes the engine run smoother with less carbon build up.

Perhaps this is the reason why Auris owners with replacement engines state that the engine is much quieter and smoother?

Hi All,

Quite new to this forum, I recently noticed that I had been losing coolant from the expansion cap on our late 2007 Rav 4 with 79,000 miles on the
clock, then after a little Googling discovered the head gasket issue discussed here.

I thought that it might be helpful to others in a similar situation to share my experiences with the local Toyota dealer to me.

I booked the car into the Toyota dealership for diagnosis, on collection the service manager explained that the head gasket had gone,
& work would soon be required to fix it and that a new gasket was not an option, the only course of action was a new engine as a cost of £3900, I enquired
about a new engine under the extended 7 year warranty but he explained it was highly unlikely that Toyota would cover this as it had no Toyota service history and also the car
was 2 weeks past the 7 year deadline, the car has a good non Toyota service history & I explained this to him. After much pleading from me he agreed to
contact Toyota & request a warranty claim, I was surprised that the next day he contacted me and gave me the good news that we would be getting a new
engine under warranty..

We now have the car back and all is fine, except there is a relatively loud ticking noise that is only audible at very light throttle opening and at
low revs (under 2000), I’m sure it never made this noise before, has anyone here experienced anything like this? Should I run the new engine in?

Thanks….

If you're not sure about the noise, go back to the dealer who did the warranty repair. It may well be prudent to be careful with the engine for the first 1000 miles or so.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi!

I´m a new member here, but i have been a member in fintoys.net club here in Finland for 3,5years.

I have 2008 Corolla Verso 2AD-FHV and i have some problems with it now.

Has anyone any ideas for this problem in below:

Car is running nice and not spend too much fuel, but the starting when temperature goes under -0 celsius. I't just cranks and cranks but doesn't start. Only way i can get it started is to heat the commonrail pump with heatblower about 15-30mins. Then it starts nice and works fine, OR yesterday car started nice, i drove it about 1,5km and check engine light lighted up and motor takes only 1500rpm, about 45sec and it stalls and lids VCS and TRC lights. Techstream says P0093 large fuel leak and VSC/TRC says P1271? Engine ECU.

Car has new valeo startmotor, new original glow plugs. Now i changed SCV from another pump, but no help what so ever. Fuelfilter is changed in 1/15 too, but no help. I have examined car with Techstream and all values seems to be fine, injectors correct values are -1,1 0,8 0,5 -0,2 so they are ok.

These problems have bee over a month, next i will try another Fuel temperature sensor in the commonrail pump if it helps. Or any ideas for this? Anyone have this problem too?

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links