Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Stereo Problem

jumanji

Hi,

I have a TOYOTA COROLLA T3 VVT-I 1598cc and when I got in this morning and started the car the CD started playing but it sounded distorted, then the volume went right down to about level 3 and eventually stopped making a sound and all I could see on the display was the time. After a few minutes the time then dis-appeared. So it looks like there is no power going to the stereo what so ever. My cigarette lighter and everything else is fine.

Can someone tell me if the fuse has gone or is this more of a serious problem with the actual stereo?

Many thanks,

It's unlikely to be the fuse, but it is worth checking it out.

A loose connection is more likely.

You'll have to pull the centre console out but it maybe your only option.

If the stereo has gone then I'd go to a breakers yard and get one from there shouldn't take more than 30 minutes to change the stereo (assuming you've never done it before) much less if you have.

I'm assuming you have an E12.

Thanks for that, I have a few questions ...

How easy is it to check the connections, or in other words taking the centre console out?

Secondly what is an E12?

This is an E12

uxKDc.jpg

This is an E11

4ebddce2.jpg

The centre console is easy to remove, once it is out, you will be able to see the bolts holding in the stereo and it's surround, you will need a long neck, magnetised screwdriver (or socket, 10mm if memory serves me) to undo the bottom bolts of the stereo. Then carefully pull the unit out.

Hope that helps

I think the problem is either the stereo it's self or there's a break in the connection from the aerial to the stereo. I would try pulling the stereo out, checking the aerial connection at the stereo and the connector plug of the aerial it's self. Try wriggling the connection whilst trying to pick up a station. Also I would try using a length of copper wire as an aerial off the connection on the roof and to the back of the stereo just to rule out an aerial problem.

I think the problem is either the stereo it's self or there's a break in the connection from the aerial to the stereo. I would try pulling the stereo out, checking the aerial connection at the stereo and the connector plug of the aerial it's self. Try wriggling the connection whilst trying to pick up a station. Also I would try using a length of copper wire as an aerial off the connection on the roof and to the back of the stereo just to rule out an aerial problem.

I doubt it's the aerial Adam he was listening to a CD when it started to go wonky.

I doubt it's the aerial Adam he was listening to a CD when it started to go wonky.

Lol i'v posted this in the wrong thread.

Here is an update on my situation ...

I started the car this morning and was turning on the air con and then rolled the windows down (as they were wet on the outside) and the stereo came on and seems fine!?!

What does this indicate?

Weird huh ... I was actually looking for a more scientific answer ;-)

@ compress'rolla

All seems to be fine now, which is odd! I have no idea what happened, but my theory is either the Battery was having a problem or the connections were loose?

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links