Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Yellow spanner light

Urban 1780

Hi,

I recently visited a Toyota garage to put my Urban Crusier in for a full service (59 plate). The car was returned and within a day the Yellow spanner light came on and flashed constantly. I took it back and they reset the timer, which worked for 2 days i have been back 4 times and each time it has been reset. The light comes once once you have been driving for a bit, there is no rhyme or reason as to when the light decides to come on, but it stays on until you turn the engine off. The garage does not know the fault and its frustrating as the light is quite distracting especially if your drving in the dark it catches your eye. I wondered if a connector pin has been damaged if they changeda fuse? Any suggestions??? The car is still under warrenty.

Thanks

Have you tried resetting yourself it is on page 347 0n the Urban cruiser owners manual.This happened to my Daughters 1.4D Yaris after she had it serviced a few years ago, and I reset it myself.

If that does not work keep taking in back while it is under warranty and let them sort it.

I have had my 59U/c has had its 1yr & 2ndyr service with no problems.

Regards

David

Have you tried resetting yourself it is on page 347 0n the Urban cruiser owners manual.This happened to my Daughters 1.4D Yaris after she had it serviced a few years ago, and I reset it myself.

If that does not work keep taking in back while it is under warranty and let them sort it.

I have had my 59U/c has had its 1yr & 2ndyr service with no problems.

Regards

David

Hi David

No i have not tried that. Super thanks will give it a go.

Thanks very much

Hi Mandy, The yellow spanner flashing means that you have had an Oil change.The garage should have reset it when you had it serviced,I think it is a Date/Miles between service indicator and the garage has not reset it properly (although you say you,ve been back to the garage). if you look on page 420 of the Manual it explains it there.

HTH Regards Clare

Hi,

I recently visited a Toyota garage to put my Urban Crusier in for a full service (59 plate). The car was returned and within a day the Yellow spanner light came on and flashed constantly. I took it back and they reset the timer, which worked for 2 days i have been back 4 times and each time it has been reset. The light comes once once you have been driving for a bit, there is no rhyme or reason as to when the light decides to come on, but it stays on until you turn the engine off. The garage does not know the fault and its frustrating as the light is quite distracting especially if your drving in the dark it catches your eye. I wondered if a connector pin has been damaged if they changeda fuse? Any suggestions??? The car is still under warrenty.

Thanks

Leave the car with the dealer till its fixed. :)

Hi, I apologise that I cannot give you the full details as I am away from work for two weeks( I work for Toyota) there is a technical service bulletin from Toyota regarding this issue of the spanner light not resetting. Return to your dealer asap and point out the fact that there is a bulletin for them to follow.

Hi Devon

I took the car back to the Toyota garage and they contacted the manufacturer for advise they carried out the following steps

Changed oil (again)

changed oil filter (again)

updated the EUC

Cleaned the petrol cap.

So far so good i have not had the light come on again, fingers crossed.

Thanks for your help.

heres the fault......the oil was too far up the dipstick....had lots of these type of faults when they are serviced else were...theirs a min and max sensor on the sump..

and you cant determin the time or date when resetting the service light its just push and hold a button till the dashes on the mileometer vanish....

• 3 weeks later...

So the Toyota dealership over filled the oil?

I was thinking along the same lines as Claire, that there may be a time and distance reset procudure?

as i said YOU CANT CHANGE THE DATE OR MILEAGE THE SPANNER COMES ON!!!!! it has two presets...1 year or 10,000 miles what ever comes first.......

just in case people still dont get the drift...

you do 10,000 miles in 2 months the light will come on

you do 1000 miles in a year the light will come on

YOU CANT CHANGE THIS........

and yes they have put too much oil in!! .2 above the mark and the spanner light commes on....

i am a licenced tec,diagnostic tec and mot tester for a main dealer and have been for many years....

So even with your diagnostics you can't alter the mileage or time adjustments? To say 5k miles and 6months.

Or have you not been shown how to do this yet?

:-)

Why do some super techy guys over fill the oil?

Do they like to see the spanner flash?

mate you CANT DO IT regardless of what diagnostic tester you use....toyota standards are 10k or 1 year as i have said!! not before and not after..as for not being shown it/how to do it im one course away from being a master tec(which i do not want to do)

it doesnt flash straight away and it only takes a small amount of oil over to do this

Why don't you want to the the master tech course? It's another step on the ladder, and who knows you could even become a service manager :-)

As regards the service reset, when you reset it, does it reset both time and distance at the same time, of can you set them individualy?

What diagnostic software are you using?

Just a point, Ive just had mine in for 2 year service, Last service was at 9400 miles (spanner came on) 1 year later to the exact date only done 14000 miles but the spanner came on. So it is a time and mileage defined senario.

Regards Clare

Do you mean 1,400 miles? as if you meant 14,000 miles it should have come in around the 10,000 mile mark or 365 days mark?

But may come on a few miles or days sooner, just to let you know in advance?

• 2 years later...

We also have a problem with the yellow spanner light coming on. Our yellow spanner light comes on very occasionally and remains on for the journey until the engine is turned off, then may be okay for another week or so. The car works perfectly okay otherwise.

After several visits to the garage, they now want to replace the short block, turbo and vacuum pump costing us thousands as we are out of warranty. This doesn't make sense logically - has anyone had a similar problem & positive outcome?

We also have a problem with the yellow spanner light coming on. Our yellow spanner light comes on very occasionally and remains on for the journey until the engine is turned off, then may be okay for another week or so. The car works perfectly okay otherwise.

After several visits to the garage, they now want to replace the short block, turbo and vacuum pump costing us thousands as we are out of warranty. This doesn't make sense logically - has anyone had a similar problem & positive outcome?

This issue is a known fault that can affect any Toyota with the 1.4d4d 6speed tranmission from 2009 onwards and is subject to a Technical service bulletin ref EG-0017T-0411 this bulletin details a comprehensive repair procedure which your dealer seems to have followed.

There is a warranty extension in place as detailed in warranty bulletin WB596, ask your dealer to submit a Prior approval "PARF" to he Toyota warranty department. Toyota should agree to cover the whole repair costs.

If your dealer is not forthcoming contact Toyota customer relations @ customer.relations@tgb.toyota.co.uk

Hello, .. ' just joined and very interested to see above problem, as I have rising oil level on my '59 plate 6 speed 1.4TD Urban Cruiser and been back to local Toy dealer who said similar: that turbo/short block etc might need replacing if it continues which it has. They last changed the oil about 600 miles ago and now the spanner light has returned and yes the oil level is about 12mm above the full pimple on the dipstick.

As a sometime diesel mechanic myself over the last 40 yrs with Ford &Perkins agricultural engines, surely the diesel ingress can only come from the injection pump/timing case seal?

So if this is a known problem will Toyota really stump-up the repair bill on a 5 yr old car? (only 40,000 on the clock)

Hello, .. ' just joined and very interested to see above problem, as I have rising oil level on my '59 plate 6 speed 1.4TD Urban Cruiser and been back to local Toy dealer who said similar: that turbo/short block etc might need replacing if it continues which it has. They last changed the oil about 600 miles ago and now the spanner light has returned and yes the oil level is about 12mm above the full pimple on the dipstick.

As a sometime diesel mechanic myself over the last 40 yrs with Ford &Perkins agricultural engines, surely the diesel ingress can only come from the injection pump/timing case seal?

So if this is a known problem will Toyota really stump-up the repair bill on a 5 yr old car? (only 40,000 on the clock)

There are series of issues that the Toyota service bulletin fixes:

Faulty seals in turbo, causes oil to build up in intercooler, usually notice oil level dropping

Faulty seals on vacuum pump, causes oil to build up in intercooler, usually notice oil level dropping

Faulty injectors, causes poor fuel combustion and bore washing, raises oil level

Faulty EGR causes soot build up damaging piston rings, allowing fuel to pass into oil, raises oil level

Faulty DPF or CCo catalyst, car keeps trying to regenerate by adding fuel which passes into oil , raising oil level

If the turbo,vacuum pump & engine block are pre a certain modification point then they are automatically replaced after the operation of the injectors, EGR & DPF are checked if faulty they are also replaced.

Once all the required repairs are indentified by your dealer they will have submit a Prior approval to Toyota to gain permission to carry out the repair for which there is a warranty extension in place subject to provable service history using the correct spec/grades of engine oil.

Thanks Lee, that's really helpful. I'll be contacting my dealer tomorrow.

Ours has also come on for the first few seconds after engine start

Ours has also come on for the first few seconds after engine start

It should come on as the car starts, so long as it goes off and stays off or doesn't flash you are fine.

It stayed on for a couple of seconds then went out and stayed out. Didn't use to

The spanner light will come on with the ignition and go off within a few seconds of starting if it:

Comes on and stays on - service counter has exceeded 9300 miles from 0 or since reset, service soon

Flashes on start up or whilst driving - check oil level