Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Rav4 Engine Swap Info?

Chicken Drumstick

Hoping you can help me out.

I'm new to the Rav4 World, well in truth I don't actually have one at all, nor a Toyota of any shape. But I'm interested in them.

I believe I'm right in thinking the first Gen Rav4 uses the same engines as the Celica's do? I've done some reading up on Rav4World.com, but was hoping to get more of a UK perspective.

If I bought a tidy/sound 3 door UK spec Rav4.1 3 door manual, how easy is it to swap a 2.0 litre engine from a Celica GT into it?

I was thinking a 2.0 litre engine from a 94-99 model UK spec Celica, as I believe these are rated at 168hp (3S-GE engine???).

Is there a list of required parts or a conversion guide anywhere?

Is it a direct swap or does it require any custom fabrication?

Will I need to change the ECU, and if so, is it simply plug and play, or does it also require custom work?

thank you.

We have the Man for you right here on the Rav4 section, Bothy (BothwellBuyer) will no doubt see your post and give you a comprehensive Yeh or Neh. Absolute Genius on the 4.1 he is!!!!!!

Welcome Matt to TOC ( to use a pun)

Regards Clare

Bothys RAV4.1 Guided Missiles do indeed have the engines from a Celica installed (I think they started out life in the Celica GT4 in fact - lovely car, I had the '89 GT4 :drool: )

Thanks for the replies. I have a feeling I may have watched a vid of the Rav4 you mention on YouTube earlier.

A turbo Rav does sound appealing, but probably over kill for what I had in mind. Think a n.a. 2.0 with 170'ish HP would be more than enough to be usable daily.

Is it a Celica or an MR2? The RAV uses the 3FSE engine.

OK

You have the choice of a 3SGTE from a Celica GT$ or a MR" GT turbo ... and either engine will basically need a donor car as you will need the ecu; wiring harness; sensors and so on. This will give you a stock 240hp+ depending on which version you choose. The MR2 is more cheaply available as younger folk than I crash them through hedges and being a rear engine car, you can recover all the bits you need.

Celica - probably much the same but not that common. The 3SGTE uses the same block as the 3SFE fitted in the RAV so not so much needed on the modifications as such. (Understatement)

The SGE (Beams engine I think) was running as you say around the 168hp... compared to the 127bhp of the 3SFE.

However you will still need the wiring harness and ecu to do the engine swap. Again, it will fit to the gearbox but you should consider an uprated clutch.

Are you doing it yersel?

Wahtever - either engine will rwquire a bit of work. The 3SGTE conversion is more work but to be honest, in owning 2 RAVs with the turbo conversion, I don't understand anyone messing with the SGE.

All the engines are 1998cc - the turbo version is just so much more fun with just so many more mods you can do - that engine can be taken up to 670bhp !!!

My number1 RAV is on Youtube running at Crail doing the 1/4 miles. Hopefully I'll get back up there this year but also start hill-climbs too.

Ask if you want any more info. Number1 RAV I have owned from new, and have spent a fair bit on all the mods... you don't put almost 400bhp into a car made for 127bhp and expect it to start and stop when you want using the original kit :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Thanks for the info. I'm sure it must have been you're Rav I saw on YouTube.

Yeah I'll be doing the work myself. But I've messed about with a with cars in the past, I just like to know what I might be letting myself in for.

I do agree the turbo motor would be more fun and faster, but I'm not looking for outright pace. Just an enhancement compared to stock.

I suppose a bit of background on me would help here. Essentially I've got a proper off roader and a weekend fast car. What the Rav would be for is a 4 seater daily driver, but ok on fuel and more interesting than just a diesel Golf.

I like the idea of AWD and I like that it's small. But 30mpg+ on 95 RON would certainly be better on the wallet than 20-23mpg on superunleaded.

I was reading Wikipedia earlier and it seems to suggest that in Japan the 3S-GE with 177hp was actually available in the Rav4.1, but it doesn't give anymore info.

Not sure how heavy a Rav4 is (1200kg??), but I'd have thought 170-200hp with a revvy 2.0 n/a and 30+mpg would be quite a nifty vehicle day in day out. Usable performance and quick enough to scare a hot hatch or two.

Did you do your swaps yourself? I'm guessing the engine mounts all line up and no welding is required?

When you say uprated clutch, can you recommend one?

Thanks for your help.

30+ MPG would be a nice result. I got typically 25 MPG on my RAV4.2 with the standard 2.0 VVTi (150BHP) engine.

30mpg is optimistic I think. More like 25 as Hoovie says.

The 3SGE may have been fitted to the early RAVs for some other contry but I'm not so sure as the conversion to 3SGE has been done in South America and USA I think.

The swaps were done from research and passion of mine and carried out by a local Jap car tuning shop who are fanatical about what they do. No welding was needed on the mounts - the only change like that was the position of the clutch master cylinder on the bulkhead and swapping the location of the alternator.

The weight of a 3 door petrol 4.1 is 1685kg. I've stripped a lot of weight out of the car and now my own weight is the biggest removeable factor !! (Aside of the engine/transmission unit). :lol: :lol:

I use Shell vpower with both cars. Dunno how the 3SGE would like the cheaper muck.

30+ MPG would be a nice result. I got typically 25 MPG on my RAV4.2 with the standard 2.0 VVTi (150BHP) engine.

Maybe I was being optimistic, but Parkers list the 4.1 3dr @ 30mpg. I kinda assumed the same engine with a tad more power would be able to achieve very similar mpg when you aren't caning it.

http://www.parkers.co.uk/cars/reviews/facts-and-figures/toyota/rav4/estate-1994/18766/

30mpg is optimistic I think. More like 25 as Hoovie says.

The 3SGE may have been fitted to the early RAVs for some other contry but I'm not so sure as the conversion to 3SGE has been done in South America and USA I think.

The swaps were done from research and passion of mine and carried out by a local Jap car tuning shop who are fanatical about what they do. No welding was needed on the mounts - the only change like that was the position of the clutch master cylinder on the bulkhead and swapping the location of the alternator.

The weight of a 3 door petrol 4.1 is 1685kg. I've stripped a lot of weight out of the car and now my own weight is the biggest removeable factor !! (Aside of the engine/transmission unit). :lol: :lol:

I use shell vpower with both cars. Dunno how the 3SGE would like the cheaper muck.

Thanks for the info. I assume the stock 2.0 Celica GT/MR2 is tuned to run on 95 RON, without a knock sensor or remap I'm not there would really be much benefit running superunleaded.

However on a turbo, or a tuned turbo I'd also want the extra protection from knock offered by the higher octane fuel.

Is the 3dr Rav4.1 really that heavy?? :eek: That's 200kg's more than a 5 door Freelander and about 650kg's more than a Jimny.

The Parkers link above says 1200kg, although I'm not always sure of Parkers accuracy.

Carfolio also lists the 3dr at 1150kg: http://www.carfolio.com/specifications/models/car/?car=28523

Is the 3dr Rav4.1 really that heavy??

Only when Bothy's got his wallet with him :lol:

Is the 3dr Rav4.1 really that heavy?? :eek: That's 200kg's more than a 5 door Freelander and about 650kg's more than a Jimny.

The Parkers link above says 1200kg, although I'm not always sure of Parkers accuracy.

Carfolio also lists the 3dr at 1150kg: http://www.carfolio..../car/?car=28523

Maybe those sites quoted Kerb Weight and Bothy quoted GVW?

These are the values from the RAV4.2 5 Door ....

Kerb weight total maximum (kg / lb) 1560 / 3439.80 1520 / 3351.60 1640 / 3616.20 1650 / 3638.25

Gross vehicle weight total (kg / lb) 2110 / 4652.55 2070 / 4564.35 2190 / 4828.95 2190 / 4828.95

so around 500Kg between kerb and GVW typically

I looked something up in the Haynes USA manual..... empty, the car is more like 1200kg or less. I'll take the bathroom scales out for number 1 tomorrow

• 2 years later...

I need to know what kinda engine I could put in an 01 rav 4 2 wheel drive automatic. The engine is blown.

Hi John and a warm welcome to the club.

Think you will find that members on here will be more responsive if you say hello first and and make your post seem as asking for help and less of a demand IMHO.

All the best with this and again welcome

Del

• 5 years later...

Hey guys

Is anyone still reading this thread?

Just bought my self a lovely 1994 3door auto and was wondering if I could get some answers to a few questions I got regarding a refresh that I m trying to carry on it:

1. I cannot find the owner's manual online.. does such a thing exist?

2. I cannot find anywhere small plastic bits like the window seals, antenna, central console pockets, air vents etc.. anyone selling online?

3. There is a up/down button just under the handbrake right next to the coin case that due to symbol fade, I have no idea what it does! Any help? :)

4. Was thinking of swapping the engine with a newer unit. The idea is to make it a bit more lively, quiet and economical, so what I have in mind is something in the line of 1.6l/150bhp/150lbft, without having anything specific in mind. Maybe something out of a 2010 Corolla lets say. Newer engines seem to be much more torquey, free revving and economical. What are the views on this?

• 3 months later...

We have a 1997 toyota rav 4 sport. 2.4L

Need to know what other vehicles would have the same motor  

• 1 year later...

Hello! I have a 96 3 door with a 3s-FE. After a day of 4wding I want more power! 

I am aware I can put a turbo motor in however in my country that requires a certification which is hard to get and costly! So id prefer to just do a quick swap with something that just bolts up. 

So my question is what is the best NA engine I can swap into my auto rav? And should I keep the current healthy gearbox or the one that comes with whatever engine I choose 

Thanks for any input!!

• 2 months later...

Hi all im patrick from uk looking for bit of advice ive had 2 ravs now mk1 and mk2 mk1 was absolutely fantastic car 3 door fairly nippy 4x4 excelent fun lil car clutch went on her poor old girl just didnt have the time to fix her up again so sold it on then i bought my mk2 off of my mother in law body work and interior are like brand new the problrm im having is the dreaded 2.0l d4d i bought it cheap as a non runner big mistake turns out the oil strainer had blocked up and starved it of oil killed it so i rebuilt it and same thing happened so i bought a new block 1cdftv 2.0l d4d with new oil ways etcdid the same thing so rebuilt yhat one snd then turbo went onit limped it home maybe 2 3 mile and knackered it again so my question is is thrre a diesel engine out there i can straight swap with a lil more power ie 2.2 or something for pulling and towing thats really good reliable engine. Thanks fir your time 

Patrick.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links