Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Gen 2 Steering Wheel Lights Too Dim

ph47mf

As the title says, either the bulbs in the steering wheel are on the way out or it's dimmer than the rest of the green lights on the dash on standard, what's yours like?

If it's standard like that then I suppose changing them won't make a difference and I won't bother.

P.S. this side of the forum is a bit dead isn't it, probably a good thing especially for potential hybrid owners.

This is standard, I've always assumed it's because it would be distracting to see them in your peripheral vision while turning the wheel. But yes, on mine (2008) you can only really tell that they're on by looking directly at them.

They are dim and as the reply above says, it's probably to keep your attention on the road. The buttons are shaped so after a period of time you know where everything is. I work away and only get to drive the car occasionally but I've got the location of the buttons figured out, admittedly I sometimes change the radio station instead of the volume!! :)

that's good to know, thank you. As when I bought the car, it was 5 years old already, I cannot tell whether some of things are ageing or just standard.

P.S. this side of the forum is a bit dead isn't it, probably a good thing especially for potential hybrid owners.

I think this is busy for this sub-forum! :P

For the record, they are very dim on the gen3 as well.

For the record, they are very dim on the gen3 as well.

Are they supposed to be lit on the Gen3 ?

I can't say I've noticed TBH.

Are they supposed to be lit on the Gen3 ?

I can't say I've noticed TBH.

They are very, very dim but if you sit in pitch darkness and turn the side lights on and off you can see a difference in the steering wheel controls.

I liked with the Gen 3 I had for the day that the steering wheel buttons when touched illuminated a mimic display on the dashboard. I also noticed that you didn't have to press the button enough for it to actually perform it's function, just a slight touch bought up the display. So I suppose that means it's not so important that they're illuminated.