Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Auris Ev Mode Speed Limit

DemBones

I was led to believe that the EV mode worked up to 31mph, just like with the Prius, though my Auris disengages "due to excessive speed" just above 20mph. Is this a problem with specification details or a software problem with the electronics. Any one else had this problem?

If it's anything like the gen3 Prius (which it's based on) then the EV mode is temperature and/or load dependent. If the car is cold (more importantly the HV battery) then EV mode will kick out at 20 mph. If the HV Battery is warm(er) then it will run upto 31 mph. I think the temperature is based on both the internal Battery and ambient temperature.

You will find EV will run upto 31 mph in summer or after a longer run in winter. But if the car/HV Battery gets too hot then EV will disengage for that reason too. EV upto 31 mph is allowable in a very small window, though you don't really want to make too much use of it anyhow. It's more a gimmick to show off to your friends or for moving the car out of your garage and onto the drive without using any fuel. It won't allow you to pop to the shops a mile down the road though.

I was led to believe that the EV mode worked up to 31mph, just like with the Prius, though my Auris disengages "due to excessive speed" just above 20mph. Is this a problem with specification details or a software problem with the electronics. Any one else had this problem?

It's not a problem, it's normal. As GC says it depends on many factors but from cold EV mode will disengage at around 19-20 MPH. Once the ICE is up to normal running temperature EV will extend to higher speeds.

• Like 1

It's not a problem, it's normal. As GC says it depends on many factors but from cold EV mode will disengage at around 19-20 MPH. Once the ICE is up to normal running temperature EV will extend to higher speeds.

What WALLY led you to believe that EV mode worked up to 31mph on an Auris ??

Listen to Ashpole, we've been there and done it, your performance is normal,check out our FUELLY stats.

Just bear in mind that the latest Prius is produced with HSD Gen 3 technology, the Aruis was adapted to accomadate Gen 3, so it hasn't so far equalled it, but is very close.

Rumours of an Aruis HSD Mk2 abound for 2021 - that's really worth keeping a tack on.

Just bear in mind that the latest Prius is produced with HSD Gen 3 technology, the Aruis was adapted to accomadate Gen 3, so it hasn't so far equalled it, but is very close.

My understanding was that the hybrid system/powertrain of the Auris HSD is virtually (99.9%) identical to the gen3 Prius but has been modified to allow it to be squeezed into the existing non hybrid Auris chassis. The engine is the same, the specs are vitually identical - differences being different drag factors, different dash displays, possibly different suspension set up etc.

In fact the Lexus CT200 is the one which differs from the gen3 but in that it is probably 99.6% identical :) One of the main differences is a voltage boost in 'Power' mode to allow a higher increase in power.

I can't see any practical value in using EV as the drain on the Battery will cause the engine to come on for longer next time around. Or am I missing something here.

• Like 1

No you're not. In fact that is the main reason against using EV mode. The electricity used from the Battery has to be put back and usually that comes from the engine running - using extra fuel.

The Prius is best left to its own devises and it will sort out the most economical mix of ev and petrol to get the best performance and economy. Start over-riding it using the EV mode and you will often end up using more fuel in the process. EV is best left for showing off to mates or in carparks and the odd time in town when you know the traffic light sequences or just before heading down a hill you're aware of etc.

I can't see any practical value in using EV as the drain on the battery will cause the engine to come on for longer next time around. Or am I missing something here.

It's handy for getting the car out of the garage onto the drive or some reason why you want to keep noise to a minimum but most of the time I let the Auris work out what's best. Sometimes it won't fire up the ICE, for example when moving a half mile between M&S and Costco car parks in Milton Keynes it doesn't use the ICE - I could force it into EV mode but it decides on its own to use it.

I'm interested in the figures mentioned in this thread for the speeds at which the EV cuts out. Are they really as low as that on the Auris and Gen 3?

I have a Gen2 and was on EV quite happily on part of my commute yesterday at an indicated 48 for a half mile or so, flat road, on cruise, and that seems to be about the cut off speed on mine. It's always done that, not just one day in one place.

Obviously you can get momentary EV at pretty much any speed, but this is persistent EV.

I'm interested in the figures mentioned in this thread for the speeds at which the EV cuts out. Are they really as low as that on the Auris and Gen 3?

I have a Gen2 and was on EV quite happily on part of my commute yesterday at an indicated 48 for a half mile or so, flat road, on cruise, and that seems to be about the cut off speed on mine. It's always done that, not just one day in one place.

Obviously you can get momentary EV at pretty much any speed, but this is persistent EV.

Yeah you're right Bibsy. We're on about the EV mode (or milkfloat mode as I call it) where you can lock the car into EV and it will accelerate quicker in electric only than it normally would but the speed is locked as described above. In 'normal' mode with careful use of the accelerator you can coax the Prius upto higher speeds without using the engine. Also if cruising a flat road at 40 mph the car will automatically switch the engine off and run on electric as required. I've had it running at 60+ mph without the engine but with a very very lightfoot, it seems to be a sliding scale. Also, to confuse the issue further, when over 45 mph the Prius is always 'running' the engine even if the diagram is off BUT when the engine is running like this it is actually just spinning but using no fuel. The same applies if you go down a long hill, when you get to the bottom the HV Battery is showing full and the engine will be revving at about 3k revs but is actually just burning off the excess power stored in the HV Battery and is using no fuel.

The hybrid (hsd - Toyotas version) is quite interesting and very well thought out, just a little hard to explain all it's foibles. It is also totally seamless to drive though.

Neither the gen2 or the gen3 will use EV with cruise control.

They are designed not to.

However, both will travel on cruise control at up to 70mph on a slight downhill run using the electric motor only.

If you try pushing the ev button whilst on cruise control one or the other will not work.

I think some refer to the high speed EV-like mode as warp stealth warpstealth link.

Fantastic link Timberwolf, thanks. Best explanation I've ever seen of warp stealth mode as well as how to get it. :thumbsup:

Re the use of EV button. There's another time the EV button can be used in a Gen 3 (and probably a Gen 2) to save petrol: in the situation where the car is stationary and there is a reasonable SOC (3 bars or more) but the engine is cold and cabin temperature has not reached the climate control level. At that point the HSD will normally run the ICE to provide heat. Zero distance travelled and petrol being burned. Not good news for the MPG. If I can live with the cold, I turn off the heater and press EV. That prevents the ICE from starting up.

If the ICE is already running and the car refuses to engage EV, I press the START button to stop the whole HSD. (Remember, the car is stationary!) Then I press the START button again with my foot on the main brake pedal to restart the HSD. (I call this a reboot - it's like performing a hard reboot on a PC.) As soon as the Ready message comes up on the display, I press EV. This time the car will accept EV and will prevent the ICE from starting up.

Once on the move again, I can turn off the EV mode or the car will automatically do it when I reach about 20 MPH. When the ICE fires up, this time it's providing forward momentum plus (usually) some charge to the hybrid Battery. So I am getting some miles for my gallon. I can also turn the climate control on again - I might as well get some heat while the engine is turning.

That's one way I have found to creatively use EV to help increase MPG - by manually stopping the ICE from running in a situation where it would otherwise be very inefficient.

I was glad to see your question because having only had my Auris HSD for a few weeks I was wondering exactly the same thing!!! I was thinking there was a fault with my car, but at least I now know it's normal!!!