Do Not Sell My Personal Information

T-180 Heater Working Erratically.

auf_wiedersehen_pet

My wife's T-180 heater seems to have a mind of its own. Regardless of the settings it will blow cold. It will only blow hot on very rare occasions before it will swap to cold again.

Any ideas before I spend a fortune at the garage?

Regards

Rob

Have you checked the coolant level?

• Like 1

Yeh check coolant level , when my first head gasket went it only blew cold air when there was no water in the expansion tank , but drove perfeclty , the second time it went only the 2 central heater units blew hot air as i believe that there was loads of oil in the pipes causing a blockage

• Like 1

Yeh check coolant level , when my first head gasket went it only blew cold air when there was no water in the expansion tank , but drove perfeclty , the second time it went only the 2 central heater units blew hot air as i believe that there was loads of oil in the pipes causing a blockage

Brilliant. Topped it up and just nipped out - I could do toast on it now.

Thank you to both of you.

Brilliant. Topped it up and just nipped out - I could do toast on it now.

Thank you to both of you.

Am I missing something here? How many miles on the clock? How low was the coolant?

• Like 1

Am I missing something here? How many miles on the clock? How low was the coolant?

92k on an 07 - needed a litre! It's my wife's so I only have myself to blame as she would never check it.

92k on an 07 - needed a litre! It's my wife's so I only have myself to blame as she would never check it.

If you are topping up the coolant and you've had a rebuild on the engine is there a leak from the water pump at all? You sure that you've not got another head on the way out?Or have I mis read the post and you've not had a new engine fitted?

• Like 1

I don't see any mention by the OP of a new engine or gasket?

It does sound like his wife's car may have the hg problem.

(in case the OP doesn't know for that issue Toyota have extended the warranty to 7 years/112k miles thereby saving you about £6k)

• Like 1

(in case the OP doesn't know for that issue Toyota have extended the warranty to 7 years/112k miles thereby saving you about £6k)

Thats what I thought my mate! :thumbsup:

I looked at the thread and saw the reply from Irishjay and mixed that one up with the OP! My thought was "Am I missing something?" as this sounds like a head gasket thats gone to me and was wondering if he knew about the 7 year/112k extended warranty as you said! Well lets see what he comes up with in a hope that another person can benifit from Toyota's extended good will :thumbsup:

This is the TSB (Toyota Service Bull) for the chap who started this thread!... http://www.toyotaown...attach_id=10737

• Like 1

If you are topping up the coolant and you've had a rebuild on the engine is there a leak from the water pump at all? You sure that you've not got another head on the way out?Or have I mis read the post and you've not had a new engine fitted?

Engine is original and not rebuilt. No obvious leak from the water pump. I'm really hoping it's not a head gasket because my own Discovery is in the garage having, yes you've guessed it, a head gasket!

I'm guessing that OP is original poster? That's great to find that Toyota have extended the cover - I never new that. Many thanks.

Well lets see what he comes up with in a hope that another person can benifit from Toyota's extended good will :thumbsup:

This is the TSB for the chap who started this thread!... http://www.toyotaownersclub.com/forums/index.php?app=core&module=attach&section=attach&attach_id=10737

Fingers crossed. We also have three years warranty from the company we bought it from. What's TSB?

Thanks very much to all of you.

• Like 1

Engine is original and not rebuilt. No obvious leak from the water pump. I'm really hoping it's not a head gasket because my own Discovery is in the garage having, yes you've guessed it, a head gasket!

I'm guessing that OP is original poster? That's great to find that Toyota have extended the cover - I never new that. Many thanks.

Well lets see what he comes up with in a hope that another person can benifit from Toyota's extended good will :thumbsup:

This is the TSB for the chap who started this thread!... http://www.toyotaown...attach_id=10737

Fingers crossed. We also have three years warranty from the company we bought it from. What's TSB?

Thanks very much to all of you.

If you take a look at the TSB it will tell you what is covered under the good will extended warranty put in place by Toyota for the Known faults with the 2AD engine. If I were you I'd take this car down to your Toyota main dealer and have a coolant pressure test done and not bother with the other warranty as Toyota will pick up the bill (If found to be a defective head) for something in the region of £6,500! The head gaskets can NOT be changed on these and has to have a new 3/4 engine fitted.

Have you got any white splatter marks on the black engine cover or has the pink coolant got a black tinge to it at all?

PM me if you need any help as I've had 2!...... Yes 2 new engines in my T-180 due to this issue. I have also helped (As others have 0n here) 2 other forum members get new engines from Mr T :thumbsup:

• Like 1

I'd take this car down to your Toyota main dealer and have a coolant pressure test done and not bother with the other warranty as Toyota will pick up the bill (If found to be a defective head) for something in the region of £6,500! The head gaskets can NOT be changed on these and has to have a new 3/4 engine fitted.

Have you got any white splatter marks on the black engine cover or has the pink coolant got a black tinge to it at all?

PM me if you need any help as I've had 2! Yes 2 new engines in my T-180 due to this issue. I have also helped (As others have 0n here) 2 other forum members get new engines from Mr T :thumbsup:

Wow! I'm going to get it booked in straight away.

The engine has a few white splatter marks but they are from where I overfilled it the other evening, nothing was there before. I can't see the coolant colour but will check it tomorrow.

It's worrying that you've had two engines, is this a frequent problem with T180s?

Thanks again for your help.

I'd take this car down to your Toyota main dealer and have a coolant pressure test done and not bother with the other warranty as Toyota will pick up the bill (If found to be a defective head) for something in the region of £6,500! The head gaskets can NOT be changed on these and has to have a new 3/4 engine fitted.

PM me if you need any help as I've had 2! Yes 2 new engines in my T-180 due to this issue. I have also helped (As others have 0n here) 2 other forum members get new engines from Mr T :thumbsup:

Wow! I'm going to get it booked in straight away.

The engine has a few white splatter marks but they are from where I overfilled it the other evening, nothing was there before. I can't see the coolant colour but will check it tomorrow.

It's worrying that you've had two engines, is this a frequent problem with T180s?

Thanks again for your help.

The new engines have mod pistons plus other tweaks that should stop the issue that I and many others have had with this Polish built power unit. I thought that my 2nd engine was on its way out so bought my own chemical sniff test (As I'd taken it back twice to Mr T) and it appears that my head gasket is okay. I think you'll find that quite a lot of owners have had new engines! What % only Toyota knows the answer to that. With the fact that you are having to top up the coolant it must mean its going somewhere! So a wise call to hot foot it to the dealer :thumbsup:

The pressure test I had done was FOC and I would print out the TSB if they confirm its the head and want to charge you! As some dealers (As other members have said) said they wern't aware of the TSB!!! Which is a load of :!Removed!:

Good luck with it mate :thumbsup:

• Like 1

The pressure test I had done was FOC and I would print out the TSB if they confirm its the head and want to charge you! As some dealers (As other members have said) said they wern't aware of the TSB!!! Which is a load of :!Removed!:

Before I wade in, what's a TSB?

Before I wade in, what's a TSB?

TSB = Technical Service Bulletin

It is the term that people use to describe technical memo's that are sent from HQ to dealers typically informing them of remedial work that needs to be done to cars. In this case this Toyota TSB relates to possible failure of HG in a particular engine and the Ts&Cs under which Toyota UK will foot the bill for the dealer to carrying out necessary work Many car companies have their own names for this but I am sure that people in service dept. will understand you.

Good luck

Tim

• Like 1

In this case this Toyota TSB relates to possible failure of HG in a particular engine and the Ts&Cs under which Toyota UK will foot the bill for the dealer to carrying out necessary work Many car companies have their own names for this but I am sure that people in service dept. will understand you.

Good luck

Tim

Brilliant. Many thanks. Been to Toyota this PM and they have confirmed via a sniffer that the head gasket has gone. The head honcho smiled in a slightly embarrassed way when I quote the details of the TSB. :yahoo: I've got to email a scan of the service book tomorrow so they can clam. A Very Big Fingers Crossed!

A very big thanks again for all of the stunning replies. I'm on numerous (Land Rover) forums and rarely get replies anywhere near as good as this thread. :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

The car was owned by the TSB Bank until 78,000. The printout of maintainance for 69,600 miles says....

R&R Turbocharger DEF Grrc2301

R&R Exhaust Gas Recirculator Valve DEF Grrc2301

R&R Head Gasket DEF Grrc2301

What does R&R mean?

Now thats what I call a result mate! and you get a new £6,500 engine from Mr T... I thought when I 1st read this that it was the head gasket and the Welsh boy was right! And so was me mate Scott! Happy days mate :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

• Like 1

The car was owned by the TSB Bank until 78,000. The printout of maintainance for 69,600 miles says....

What does R&R mean?

I would have thought R&R means ..... Remove and Replace.

Pete.

• Like 1

ec

What does R&R mean?

Review & Rectifie Defective???..... Does this mean that the car has already had a head done on it? Or checked?:unsure:

• Like 1

or Remove & Replace?

Could be that an all!... But whatever it is it looks like they knew about something going on here.

• Like 1

RESULT! RESULT! RESULT!

Approved and booked in for all work next Thursday and Friday.

A MASSIVE THANKS to all of you for your help. Without your help, I'd have a knackered car which would finish up on eBay because I can't afford £6.5k to repair it.

You are all stars.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

RESULT! RESULT! RESULT!

Approved and booked in for all work next Thursday and Friday.

A MASSIVE THANKS to all of you for your help. Without your help, I'd have a knackered car which would finish up on eBay because I can't afford £6.5k to repair it.

You are all stars.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Whey hay!!!!!!... Glad that I could be of help to you with my fello members! :fireman: :fireman: :fireman: :fireman: :fireman:

• 4 months later...

Glad you got your wifes car sorted, is everything okay now?

I think I have the same problem, I was driving the other evening and the heater wouldnt blow any warm air out I tried it on all tempratures even HI and still nothing just cold air..

Mine is the Avensis T180 on an 07 plate with 82k on the clock..

On the way back it did work a little but did notice the temp gauge rise a little above the middle..

Should i check anything before getting it into my local dealer?

Also can anyone recommend a dealer to use that knows about this issue in the Leeds / Bradford area?

Cheers

Alex