Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Aygo Electrical Problem

Deb J 1004

Since August 2011 I have been running my 05 plate Aygo without Power Steering as it failed and I was unwilling to Shell out have the ECU replaced (the suggested solution @ £500+) given that I was thinking of shortly trading it in. Obviously not got round to that yet :rolleyes:

Since then, I have been experiencing problems with the Battery discharging when the car has been left standing for slightly more than overnight. I had the original car Battery replace in August just after the PS failed and had to have the new Battery replaced 6 weeks ago when starting became sluggish - suppose linked to the colder weather kicking in.

Left the car for 5 days over the New Year while away and came back to a totally dead battery. Not exactly freezing cold weather (although somewhat damp!!), but certainly not to be expected of a battery that is only 6 weeks old. There was a click and a whirring sound, but not even a tired old attempt to turn the engine over. Jump started okay though and has been starting last couple of days. Battery supplier has tested it again today (running at 73%) and suggested I must have a short circuit somewhere that is draining it - pointed me in the direction of the local Toyota Service Centre.

Could this be linked to the fact that the PS has failed? Loath to pay Toyota prices so am thinking of getting some diagnostics done at a local garage. Any advice please? I really don't want to throw any more money at it and maybe it's time to cut my losses, but I don't need the hassle of stressing every morning that it won't start. Gone out and bought some jump leads today thought just in case!

Since August 2011 I have been running my 05 plate Aygo without Power Steering as it failed and I was unwilling to shell out have the ECU replaced (the suggested solution @ £500+) given that I was thinking of shortly trading it in. Obviously not got round to that yet :rolleyes:

Since then, I have been experiencing problems with the battery discharging when the car has been left standing for slightly more than overnight. I had the original car battery replace in August just after the PS failed and had to have the new battery replaced 6 weeks ago when starting became sluggish - suppose linked to the colder weather kicking in.

Left the car for 5 days over the New Year while away and came back to a totally dead battery. Not exactly freezing cold weather (although somewhat damp!!), but certainly not to be expected of a battery that is only 6 weeks old. There was a click and a whirring sound, but not even a tired old attempt to turn the engine over. Jump started okay though and has been starting last couple of days. Battery supplier has tested it again today (running at 73%) and suggested I must have a short circuit somewhere that is draining it - pointed me in the direction of the local Toyota Service Centre.

Could this be linked to the fact that the PS has failed? Loath to pay Toyota prices so am thinking of getting some diagnostics done at a local garage. Any advice please? I really don't want to throw any more money at it and maybe it's time to cut my losses, but I don't need the hassle of stressing every morning that it won't start. Gone out and bought some jump leads today thought just in case!

Have you had a mechanic check the electric motor of (or the switch controlling) the power-steering pump? That might be a cause of a problem which might lose you PAS and discharge your Battery. If everything else in the car is working normally, then it mightn't be the ECU which is giving you the problem.

Since August 2011 I have been running my 05 plate Aygo without Power Steering as it failed and I was unwilling to shell out have the ECU replaced (the suggested solution @ £500+) given that I was thinking of shortly trading it in. Obviously not got round to that yet :rolleyes:

Since then, I have been experiencing problems with the battery discharging when the car has been left standing for slightly more than overnight. I had the original car battery replace in August just after the PS failed and had to have the new battery replaced 6 weeks ago when starting became sluggish - suppose linked to the colder weather kicking in.

Have you had a mechanic check the electric motor of (or the switch controlling) the power-steering pump? That might be a cause of a problem which might lose you PAS and discharge your Battery. If everything else in the car is working normally, then it mightn't be the ECU which is giving you the problem.

The Aygo does not have a power steering pump!....It is an electrically assisted power steering using an electric motor....No pump or fluid!

If the motor has failed the steering will be very heavy to turn, although not impossible, but quite noticeable....Driving without power assist for over 4 months, must have built up your arm muscles!

Have you had the fuse checked on the power steering motor?

I would not expect to have to change an ECU to cure a power steering fault......although there might be a Toyota Tech out there that would confirm that?

The Aygo does not have a power steering pump!....It is an electrically assisted power steering using an electric motor....No pump or fluid!

If the motor has failed the steering will be very heavy to turn, although not impossible, but quite noticeable....Driving without power assist for over 4 months, must have built up your arm muscles!

Have you had the fuse checked on the power steering motor?

I would not expect to have to change an ECU to cure a power steering fault......although there might be a Toyota Tech out there that would confirm that?

I thought that the Aygo has an electro-hydraulic system whereby an electric motor powers an hydraulic pump which powers the steering rack.

In a traditional PAS, the hydraulic pump is powered directly from the engine, but it has been found that an electro-hydraulic system such as found in the Aygo is more energy efficient.

Oops, I just read that the Aygo has fully electric power steering rather than an electro-hydraulic system.

On the internet, you never know when your fiercest forum opponent is just a cat sleeping on top of a computer keyboard.

Oops, I just read that the Aygo has fully electric power steering rather than an electro-hydraulic system.

On the internet, you never know when your fiercest forum opponent is just a cat sleeping on top of a computer keyboard.

Miowwwww! :lol: (My roar is worse than my bite)

The electric motor assisted power steering has been steadily introduced on most small hatchbacks over the last 10 years or so in an effort to save manufacturing costs and weight

It has the advantage that it can be weighted to give more feedback as speed increases (FIAT actually made the steering lighter using a CITY switch for use at low parking speeds around town)

Great systems till they go wrong!

Thanks both for the advice so far....Red Yaris....used to have one of those...wish I still did :crybaby: Arm muscles, neck muscles....looking like Stallone, and I'm a woman!

I have it booked in on Tuesday for some Diagnostics at a local garage. Hopefully that will pick up any fault with the PS pump? Praying not looking at full ECU replacement as I really don't think I'll bother, especially as I've now developed a rattle when accelerating......tappets, exhaust, who knows :rolleyes: Have checked the CD rack and my earrings - not to blame.

Toyota techs are MORE than welcome to comment here please.....

Currently on eBay is......

An Aygo / C1 / 107 power steering ECU for £145.00 on its own or......

A full power steering column (with ECU) for £175.00.

Perhaps worth buying to save your arms?

The ECU is a couple of bolts to remove & plug the new one in.

Where it is though, I don't know! The picture of the full set shows it connected very

close to the steering column, so I bet it it just above your feet, under the dashboard.

An hour's labour?

£200.00 total?

Ian.