Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

55 Plate 2.2 Diesel Issues

shoney

hi all, i normally post on auris club but my dads avensis has brought me here.

my father has a 55reg 2.2 150bhp diesel and recently its been smoking a little and missing with loss of power. last night when on his way home from work it really struggled, so he gave the AA a call they ran it on there scanner but i didnt show any faults, but the AA man recons a injector is on its way out!

Has anyone had this problem or could it be anything else as we know its a big bill for the injectors as ive had mine changed on my auris.

cheers

Dan

How many miles, what colour smoke?

my father has a 55reg 2.2 150bhp diesel and recently its been smoking a little and missing with loss of power. last night when on his way home from work it really struggled, so he gave the AA a call they ran it on there scanner but i didnt show any faults, but the AA man recons a injector is on its way out!

Has anyone had this problem or could it be anything else as we know its a big bill for the injectors as ive had mine changed on my auris.

cheers

Dan

hi Dan

for sure good performance of the engine is subject to good injection and an equal portion of diesel injected into each cylinder as FOG !!! the same diesel portion in FOG state has been initially designed with correspondent portion of an air. in case your injectors have started to inject more diesel -- this is called an over fueling effect leading to hammer noise and loss of power finally. you should evaluate your total millage to consider when injector will need repair/changing .you must be 100% sure is is injector/s to safe your pocket from a wrong jobs. cheers/Igor

Hiya it's done 90,000 and it's black smoke

Hiya it's done 90,000 and it's black smoke

you ve replied yr question by yr self

black smoke, loss of power..... any warning lights? VSC & TRC can = EGR valve

If it’s the EGR sticking the power loss can be intermittent and clears with a cloud of soot, if its constant with black smoke it sounds like Igor and the AA have it as an injector/s.

If it was me, i would call someone like P Atkins in Mansfield and see if they can test the injectors, if not it’s a trip to Mr T for all 4 to be replaced. If the injectors are the original's 90k is a normal distance for maintenance work.

cheers

Dan

Hi Dan,

Injectors are very expensive on all modern oil burners! I would aslo take a look at the EGR valve and see if that could do with a clean. There is a pinned section that many have done on the forum that shows how to do it. Also I'd have a look at the powerenhancer wed site and read about people who have had problems with injectors and used a tin of BG244 and they were okay after the treatment. Not saying this will deff sort out the problem, but its something to think about :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

If it’s the EGR sticking the power loss can be intermittent and clears with a cloud of soot, if its constant with black smoke it sounds like Igor and the AA have it as an injector/s.

If it was me, i would call someone like P Atkins in Mansfield and see if they can test the injectors, if not it’s a trip to Mr T for all 4 to be replaced. If the injectors are the original's 90k is a normal distance for maintenance work.

Ha i used to work opposite Atkins on Hermitage Lane, definitely diesel guru's they always had a racing truck in there probably a BP one as it was bright green

Ha i used to work opposite Atkins on Hermitage Lane, definitely diesel guru's they always had a racing truck in there probably a BP one as it was bright green

I, something like this beasty sk_race_truck_1.jpg

I used to sell them stuff many years ago when i worked for Wurth,IIRC they had clean hands and wore white lab coats!

Hi

I had this same problem two years ago coming back from the south of France, I thought I was heading for a recovery truck to get back but the car struggled on, I refilled with diesel and a couple of miles later the smoke cleared and the power returned, must have just been a bad fill.

I, something like this beasty sk_race_truck_1.jpg

I used to sell them stuff many years ago when i worked for Wurth,IIRC they had clean hands and wore white lab coats!

yes they did i only got to go over there once when i was working at GKN autoparts then Partco when it got taken over by em

Cheers guys, where gonna look at the EGR in the morning.

He got let down today by a mobile mechanic who had a accident!!

I had a set of injectors changed on my auris 2.0 d4d last year, luckily I had warranty as it was well over £1000 damage

Cheers guys, where gonna look at the EGR in the morning.

He got let down today by a mobile mechanic who had a accident!!

I had a set of injectors changed on my auris 2.0 d4d last year, luckily I had warranty as it was well over £1000 damage

EGR is easy 2 bolts and 2 nuts on on the valve, 2 screws on the pipe, be careful you dont drop the studs at the pipe they are just a little awkward to get out, not difficult though. i have had mine off every 10000 miles and they do get clogged up especially on the engine side where the valve actually mounts on the manifold, i havent changed a gasket yet so just be careful and they'll be fine, unless you absolutely have to have new ones that is. Apart from that you'll need a 12mm socket if i remember correctly.

Thanks for all your comments, we found the problem, injector number 3 is sat to high, unsure why. He's thinking of getting rid of it now!

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links