Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Mot Mot Mot!

Not before time, but won't affect Mr and Miss Chav and Chavette coz they don't bother with the likes of Insurance and MOT's :rolleyes:

Kingo :thumbsup:

True, true. It's a shame they can't do something to stop cars working if they don't get their vehicles (pronounced the American way, as in, Veh-Hiccles) 'legal.' As in, if Insurance, Tax, and MOT -if required- are not 'detected' and are not in date, then the vehicle will not be going anywhere and the appropriate authorites are notified. It's sad, but I can see it going that way one day, when George Jetson is jetting around of course. :wheelchair:

Wow, I just read through that listing of MOT tests, unbelievable. This in unheard of in the US. Here, there is no federal testing of motor vehicles in effect. Each state has the right to test or not test vehicles registered there as they see fit. Of the 50 states, only 17 require annual or biannual safety inspections. Most states require periodic emissions testing only in highly populated urban areas. States such as Arkansas and Alabama have no safety or emissions testing whatsoever.

Here in Louisiana, I have to get a new inspection sticker every year. Here's how it works: I go to the testing center, they drive the car 25 feet into the garage, and if the brakes stop the car, it passes the brake test. They check all external lights in the mirrors, honk the horn and check the wiper function. Then they plug a cable into the OBDII port from their computer and run a test. They also remove the fuel filler cap and perform a quick vacuum check. If there are no error codes, I hand the man $18 and he scrapes off the old sticker and applies the new one. That's the entire safety and emissions test. In and out in 5 minutes!

Of course we still have our share of idiots who drive rusted out hulks with no insurance and expired safety stickers!

In the UK the test is not difficult in anyway. YET.

These small changes were just to appease Eurocrats & delay the big changes that we can not bring in.

Jan 2010 changes to needing 'class 7' tests for some vehicles like 110 Defenders just never happened.

http://www.ukmot.co.uk

http://www.nidirect.gov.uk/your-mot-certificate

45 minutes and you attend a Private Garage and have your vehicle checked that it meets a Minimum safety standard

£54 but can be less. Car is over 3 years old before first test.

15 minutes to fix anything minor & a part retest within 24 hours on some items or a retest on bigger fail problems.

Some places charge half fee others waive this charge. Usually depends if the Test Station does the remedial work or yo take it away to have it done.

Cars from before 2001 do not really even have problems in meeting Emission standars, cars after 2006 have no excuse for not meeting them.

Just present a safe vehicle.

**you can still get 'Daytime Only' MOT's in the UK** (thankfully)

Tyre pressure monitors will not be getting checked on vehicles untill they are 3 years old, so that is after Jan 2015.

By then expect to be on Euro 7 engines and then we will be getting plugged into a ECU.

New cars in the UK from Nov 2012 must be fitted with Tyre Pressure Monitors.

Now just a few extra things light Malfunction Warning lights, Brakes & brake systems, Basic checks for corrosion, steering/suspension/tyres/wipers/horn/speedo/seat belts/towbars/wiring/lights/emissions with a wand up the exhaust a few other things and you are good to go.

A car that has had even basic maintance or at least been checked over before a test flies through.

Northern Ireland which is still Britain has its own test & fees done in Government test stations,

Funnilly it should take t least 30 minutes but you can be through in 15 minutes.

Motor Bikes even quicker.

What Europe will or want to bring in will really put Vehicles off the road and stop any form of Customisation & Modifications.

Thankfully we just for now got this little tweeks to the current MOT system.

Rest easy. Rule Britania.

When the Machine can plug into the car & then tells the Standard Manufacturers Specification from the factory,

Weight, Body, wheels/tyres, body work, power/emissions & accepted standard for age, then we are all stuffed running cars that are older.

It can not effect cars before that that can not be plugged in.

Euro 6 engines will start to change that & by Euro 7 times you can expect your Twin Air & electric motor to need to perform as it left the factory.

That can not come before 2015 & if the test is done at 2 years old the first cars being done that way will be in 2017.

*If your vehicle is not standard spec still then VOSA/DVLA can know if your insurance does not cover the vehicle if you do not have insurance for a non standard vehicle.

Even the real mileage of the vehicle will be known so no Cheap Insurance for 4000 miles a year, because they will never know.

(same as now, but they will know automatically through the inspection)

European & Scandinavian Governments can not believe how lax the UK is to testing & insurance,

they have wanted the UK to be stricter for decades now.

Pilot Schemes are being done on Motor Cycle test stations now and were being done 3 years ago..

Bike on a hysraulic table, Computer logged in for test, fixed web cam & portable cam on & tester carries out test.

Anything out of the ordinary, Performance exhaust type thing the VOSA person on the other end can be alerted and give an opinion or check a database.

(i had a bike that ended up getting tested during part of the Pilot Scheme and it was failed on Modified Braking system untill Yamaha provided a spec sheet to show it was a Limited Edition basic spec grey import. Yamaha Tricker that had 2 front caliper mounts on the fork legs but only had a single front disc.)

1984 is coming maybe in 2017

george

• Like 1

Thanks George... :thumbsup:

Wow, I just read through that listing of MOT tests, unbelievable. This in unheard of in the US. Here, there is no federal testing of motor vehicles in effect. Each state has the right to test or not test vehicles registered there as they see fit. Of the 50 states, only 17 require annual or biannual safety inspections. Most states require periodic emissions testing only in highly populated urban areas. States such as Arkansas and Alabama have no safety or emissions testing whatsoever.

Here in Louisiana, I have to get a new inspection sticker every year. Here's how it works: I go to the testing center, they drive the car 25 feet into the garage, and if the brakes stop the car, it passes the brake test. They check all external lights in the mirrors, honk the horn and check the wiper function. Then they plug a cable into the OBDII port from their computer and run a test. They also remove the fuel filler cap and perform a quick vacuum check. If there are no error codes, I hand the man $18 and he scrapes off the old sticker and applies the new one. That's the entire safety and emissions test. In and out in 5 minutes!

Of course we still have our share of idiots who drive rusted out hulks with no insurance and expired safety stickers!

Hey James, good to hear from the other side of the pond. Sounds like an easier test than what our lovely government are planning for us lot in the UK. Here, it feels like they want as many people off the road and using public transport, which by the way is totally crap and not prepared to take that many extra people. It can't even cope with the amount of people who use it now. Trains in particular, you pay for a ticket, you expect a seat -very expensive too- but usually ticket buyers have to stand up for the duration of the journey. Very poor deal. Same the world over though, except maybe in Canada, from my brief experience with the public transport system in British Columbia.

As usual, all our governments are trying to screw us to the ground. Also, those who choose to flaunt the system either get away with it completely, year in, year out, or they get let off lightly -in my opinion. Still, you can't shoot everyone can you?

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links