Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Should I Remove Diy Car-Kit Before Warranty Work

Andrew Taylor

Hi,

I've got a 2006 Avensis Estate, bought approved used 6 months ago. It's got a full three year warranty (one year approved-used, two additional years paid for at point of purchase). Last week I fitted an ipod/handsfree car kit. Installation was straight forward and I've successfully used both the car and the car kit every day for a week.

Today when pulling away from the petrol station the ABS / TRC OFF / VSC lights remained illuminated. I pulled in, stopped the car, off then on, lights did not clear. The ABS appears to be working, the TRC won't toggle, I was unable to ascertain the status of the VSC. Seen as I have a substantial warranty package, I've no problem taking it to the dealer, however, should I first remove the car kit?

To me the two items are unrelated, I used the supplied cd-changer harness to plug in to the back of the head-unit, I didn't touch the wiring loom or the fusebox. The car also drove fine for a few hundred miles since the install.

I'm worried about getting in to an argument about the cause of the fault, I know nothing about cars and I'd feel uncomfortable trying to argue with the dealer should they try and reject the warranty claim.

Any advice/ thoughts?

Thanks

Andrew

I don't see why you should, when the code is read you will get an idea of the issue. Unless it specifically relates to what you have done you should have no worries.

If it were mine I would remove any mods I'd made. In my experience garages and warranty companies will use any excuse as a get-out.

leave it in...they wont even question the ipod kit they prob wont even notice it..

also they will just plug in the tester and read the code

I'd leave it in to mate. I've got a after market phone kit plus other gizzmo's and I've never taken mine out, never thought of it tbh and Mr T wont even give it a second thought :thumbsup:

A wide range of advice there so thanks to all who replied; I was erring on the site of caution, but, I'm also habitually lazy. I bought an ODB reader just to check what code was coming back. I thought if I got something really obvious I would leave the kit in, if I thought it was going to be a difficult one, I'd take the kit out.

Got a result of "No error codes".

This started me thinking the the warning lights were trying to indicate a common fault, rather than indicating that one of these components had failed. I did some research and it turn out if you have two brake lights out the car will indicate with this combination of warning lights. Sure enough, two brake lights out.

Three things I've learned

1) Rear lightbulbs on an Avensis estate are a pain in the hoop unless you've got seriously disfigured hands (luckily after an hour at it I now have disfigured hands so next time should be a breeze)

2) The service departments I've spoken two at two different dealer groups must have come across this a million times and were still going to take £50 fee charge from me so I need to find a better one.

3) The toyota warranty I spent so much money on could lead to more problems than it's worth. If the engine blows up I'm probably alright, but, as I have to pay a diagnosis charge to the dealer before the warranty claim can be made, I'm better off with a warranty direct warranty. The same rules apply but it's massively cheaper, and, I can use any VAT registered garage rather than paying Mr T's rates.

Thanks again all, and, if you get combo of VSC / TRC-OFF / ABS - check you haven't blown two rear brake light bulbs.

Andrew

• Like 1

Sorted :thumbsup:

Its a pain when the ABS / TRC OFF / VSC light up on vehicles that dont have a self check system, it causes worries for no reason when its just a bulb. £50 to be told that as well would make you sick, that code reader is paid for :yahoo: