Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Was The Tailgate Replaced On This Corolla?

henke

Hi,

I am looking to buy a 98-99 H/B Corolla 1.3.

Seen this car on the net and am thinking of going looking at it on Monday.

I enquired to see if there was any damage on the car and they admitted there was a dent on the front right wing. This really wouldn't bother me if the car was clean and at the right price of course.

After looking at the pics again I am wondering does anyone think the rear tailgate was replaced? Which could indicate the car was hit from behind.

The reason I suspect this is because you can see a VVTi Badge on the tailgate and I was of the opinion that the VVTi car are 1.4 and came out in 2000 with the newer headlights? This car has the older bug eye headlights and is a 1.3 which I didn't think were VVTi? So just thinking perhaps the tailgate was replaced and taken from an 00/01 Corolla.

Just a thought I was having or maybe someone could tell me if I am right or wrong?

Cheers.

Your correct on the engine, that Badge was probably just stuck on by someone. I cant recall every seeing a Rolla at this age with that Badge.

• Like 1

Your correct on the engine, that badge was probably just stuck on by someone. I cant recall every seeing a Rolla at this age with that badge.

I agree with you, the first VVTi engine came on the E11 Facelift model. I had one of the last E11 models with a 1332 engine with a 'V' registration.

Just as a thought has the engine been changed to a 1.4. Well worth looking at the engine to see.

• Like 1

Your correct on the engine, that badge was probably just stuck on by someone. I cant recall every seeing a Rolla at this age with that badge.

I agree with you, the first VVTi engine came on the E11 Facelift model. I had one of the last E11 models with a 1332 engine with a 'V' registration.

Just as a thought has the engine been changed to a 1.4. Well worth looking at the engine to see.

i doubt the engines been changed to a vvti one as, AFAIK the bug eye and facelift have different engine chassis mounts and completely different wiring looms - so highly doubtful someone went to all the time/expense to swop it all over.

also none of the facelifts came with "vvti" badges from factory, so whats probably happened, as stated, is a ill informed owner has stuck it on

• Like 1

Thanks for the replies. The add says engine size is 1332cc so pretty sure it is a 1.3 and not one of the newer VVTi 1.4 engines. Why someone would bother to stick a Badge on the car I don't know. :unsure:

I guess a close inspection of hinges etc would give away if it was a replacement boot lid anyway.

Thanks for the replies. The add says engine size is 1332cc so pretty sure it is a 1.3 and not one of the newer VVTi 1.4 engines. Why someone would bother to stick a badge on the car I don't know. :unsure:

I guess a close inspection of hinges etc would give away if it was a replacement boot lid anyway.

Same reason people stick 16v badges on 8v saxo vtrs more than likely :rolleyes:

• Like 1

I stuck a vvti Badge on the back of mine, so I'd presume the seller of the car has done the same.