Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Aygo (2005-2014) Water Leaks Please Read

grahamthegasman

My car has been back to Toyota twice to fix leaks into the front and rear foot wells, under warranty. The repairs have been successful - so far. The dealer told me that they had fitted modified seals and all would be well - time will tell.

For cars out of warranty it's DIY or expensive garage repairs. A hose test to identify where the leaks are and buy new seals and silicon sealant. Easier said than done if you don't have the necessary hands-on ability.

There's a lot of info in the following:

http://www.toyotaownersclub.com/forums/topic/116983-leaks-database/

http://www.peugeotforums.com/forums/general-top-tips-57/how-stop-your-107-leaking-18056/

Further Update.

Please find copy of my reply to Toyota for your information:

FAO Sophie Maynard
Customer Relations
Dear Sophie,
Let me first of all apologise for delay in responding to your reply, I dare say you were not expecting any further correspondence.

This is just a short note to confirm receipt of your attachment, the contents, to be frank, came as no surprise.

For your information, I have subsequently trolled the Internet only to confirm that the leaking issue(s) with the Aygo are notorious and to some degree continues to dog the model, highlighting again that it is a design/ production fault and is not age related as has been suggested. I must express again my incredulity that a major, if not the world's largest car manufacturer, cannot design,/produce a vehicle that cannot stop the ingress of water and then having the statistics to confirm the issue, having the audacity to ignore the obvious.
For my own part I have simply made it my business, albeit with regret, to add my experience, without embellishment, to the every increasing number of dissatisfied Aygo owners on the Toyota Forums, the Jaguar Forums among others and while I'm realistic to realise that Toyota will not loose sleep over my simple representations, I would humbly suggest my comments coupled with the many others, will combine to drive another nail in the coffin of Toyota's reputation for reliability.

Regards,

• 5 weeks later...

Hi there new member from surrey purchased 08 plate Aygo for my daughter platinum model only to find today a 1inch deep puddle of water

in the passengers front footwell and very wet on drivers side also,does anyone no if toyota are prepared to carry out work free of charge this appears

to be poor workmanship at best im so disappointed not just damp but 1 inch of water.

Any advice would be welcome

Regards

Paul

There's plenty of info on leak sources and how to fix them - see following:

http://www.toyotaown...leaks-database/

http://www.peugeotfo...-leaking-18056/

If you are no longer able to get the repairs done under warranty, then DIY is the only option if you don't want to pay a dealer or other garage lots of money. Finding and fixing the leaks can take a long time and hourly rates are high.

A hose test should reveal the source of the leak, then you can order the seals and fit them yourself. In some cases, refitting the old seal with a suitable sealant may do the job.

Hi,

If the Service Book confirms that the car has been serviced by Toyota Dealers you just might just be able to embarrass them into doing something about it.

Other than that, suggest you start going down the DIY route or if feeling flush, get the Dealer to fix it at presumably some horrendous cost!

Remember to contradict your acquaintances when they mention Toyota's legendary reputation for build quality ( That's assuming you're not attempting to sell the car to one of them! lol)

Just spoke to toyota and they say that i will have to stump up £600-£700 for repairs for my leak problem ie footwell 1 inch of water

drivers side boot carpet soaked.

As been said previously, buy some mastic, take the rear lights off, the high level brake light off apply mastic..........if feeling brave take the rear bumper off, mastic the two vents

Inside boot put grommets on every obvious hole also mastic the loom grommet and the rear wiper vent....................

If that don't work consider selling the car to someone still daft enough to believe in Toyota's soiled reputation for build quality!

Just spoke to toyota and they say that i will have to stump up £600-£700 for repairs for my leak problem ie footwell 1 inch of water

drivers side boot carpet soaked.

Use a hose pipe test to identify where the leak is coming from; probably best to have two people doing it (one on the inside leak spotting). Then replace the leaking seal or seals. Some of the seals have been modified - you can purchase through your local Toyota dealer or from an eBay dealer or similar.

There's plenty of information on the Aygo site and elsewhere. Fitting new seals is not difficult. It can be beneficial to apply the "belt & braces" approach and use liberal amounts of silicone sealant. Take your time over it and make sure you get it right first time. My car was done under warranty by Toyota and needed two visits - even Toyota can't get it right first time!!

just try this:

Pull off front door plastics, just 3 screws and the door shut cover.

Then see is either of the foam parts blocking holes up in the door are loose.

I had non closed cell foam where the Speakers where this had come off all together but water had gotten through the foam anyway.

Failing that, and if you do have the semi solid closed cell foam pods just make sure there stuck down well, mine had been stuck on with what looked like a black blutack that had gone brittle and cracked off. i went and got me some Black Sikaflex and stick them down again.

Water leak gone !! should you need closed cell foam speaker things there £5 for both sides from Toyota

i personally dont like the use of silicone or mastic on the rear lights for the simple reason you will have to remove the lights in the future to replace blown bulbs,

i fixed our rear light leak and then found out about the extended warranty till the car is 5yrs old for water leaks and water pump,my cure for the water ingress in

the boot was to remove both rear lights and to clean the area where the seals touch the body work i then gave the seals a clean then a generous amount of

vaseline on the seal this then filled in any gaps where you can have leaks you can also remove the lights easily for bulb replacement,or my other idea that i haven't tried

yet is to mark on the bodywork the contact area for the seal and then using some draught excluder stick some onto the body (make sure the join is at the bottom)

and when you put your lights back on the seals will be compressed more and should seal properly

This was a method I used to trace water leaks in the boot, remove plastic and carpet trim, mark all suspect areas with kids chalk, then next time it rains or use a hose, wherever the chalk has washed away that's the area of your leak.

IMG_1557.jpg

Note this black grommet above the shock absorber tower, I added this grommet , from the factory it has a round bit of black tape over the hole, this peels off over time as water and road dirt are pressurized by the road wheel spinning in the arch.

IMG_1550.jpg

yeah using chalk or talc are both good methods for leak finding as water can leak in from absolutely anywhere.

for example

the boot in my A class had water in it and i couldn't find the leak so i took it back to mercedes

under warranty for them to look at it and eventually they found it ,it was the plastic inserts (nuts) for the

number plate in the tailgate was the culprit as 1 of the screws was too long and had put a hole in the

plastic insert and the water was running down the threads and dripping into the car.

Hi, I have just joined after surfing the net to see if others were having problems with the inside of their Aygos looking like swimming pools. I have a 2005 Sport which I love but when it rains, both front footwells just fill up with water - the boot and rear wells are OK. I have had both front door seals replaced (at considerable expense) but I'm still getting wet feet - I can see that this is obviously a widespread problem with this model but has anyone any other ideas. The leaks are causing the car to condensate badly as well, so I have to spend 10 mins drying the windscreen before I set off.

Any help or advice would be gratefully received.

Hi, I have just joined after surfing the net to see if others were having problems with the inside of their Aygos looking like swimming pools. I have a 2005 Sport which I love but when it rains, both front footwells just fill up with water - the boot and rear wells are OK. I have had both front door seals replaced (at considerable expense) but I'm still getting wet feet - I can see that this is obviously a widespread problem with this model but has anyone any other ideas. The leaks are causing the car to condensate badly as well, so I have to spend 10 mins drying the windscreen before I set off.

Any help or advice would be gratefully received.

Im saying mate, get them front door cards off i bet you have foam speaker backs that have either come off or just leaking

Seems to be luck of the draw with Aygo's, my Sport as been bone dry since I resealed the upper rear brake light. As to the screen getting condensation on it, they all do it and in the winter can freeze on the inside as well, although If you have a leak that will make the condensation worse.

If you've done the doors seals on yours, next it's the plastic membrane on the inside of the doors , then up the back, resealed vents behind bumper and light seals.

Been there as well, (see my other posts on runaway accelerator when braking and starting Actuator gearbox issues) MMT and mine has only got 30k on the clock 2008 Aygo Blue MMT. Got water in the boot and thought I had solved it by sealant around rear brake in roof. Now not so sure and next stop rear vents and light clusters. Grommet post was interesting above suspension, I will be checking this out!!!!!!!!

• 1 month later...

Hi everyone, another annoyed Toyota Aygo owner here.... I discovered recently that my 07 plate Aygo which I bought just over three years ago as a Toyota approved used car has some serious leaks. I took it in to Toyota who had a look and confirmed that it is leaking from three different places which will cost £450 to rectify. The car also leaked around the aerial base soon after I bought it and was fixed by the dealership under warranty.

Toyota are flat refusing to help and keep repeating that it is out of warranty. I keep quoting the sale of goods act at them and the fact that goods purchased have to be fit for purpose (i.e. not leak), be of satisfactory quality (which if it was, it wouldn't leak and it is well documented that this is a known problem for this model) and last for a reasonable amount of time (i.e. longer than 3 years before it starts to slowly rust away due to leaks).

Needless to say, I will NOT be buying another Toyota!

Hi everyone, another annoyed Toyota Aygo owner here.... I discovered recently that my 07 plate Aygo which I bought just over three years ago as a Toyota approved used car has some serious leaks. I took it in to Toyota who had a look and confirmed that it is leaking from three different places which will cost £450 to rectify. The car also leaked around the aerial base soon after I bought it and was fixed by the dealership under warranty.

Toyota are flat refusing to help and keep repeating that it is out of warranty. I keep quoting the sale of goods act at them and the fact that goods purchased have to be fit for purpose (i.e. not leak), be of satisfactory quality (which if it was, it wouldn't leak and it is well documented that this is a known problem for this model) and last for a reasonable amount of time (i.e. longer than 3 years before it starts to slowly rust away due to leaks).

Needless to say, I will NOT be buying another Toyota!

Have to say I feel your pain but maybe a little harsh at Toyota in general, the Aygo was never penned in Japan at its design centre, it's not even sold in Japan, it has a high French contact which I feel is the root of its problems.

I'm sure if you sold your Aygo tomorrow and bought an iQ or Yaris you would have little or no problems with the product or the brand.

It still has a Toyota Badge on it, I'm afraid I don't really care where it was designed or made!

I bought a Toyota thinking it would be a good, safe investment and a car that would last me for years. Three years on, I'm having to consider how I can get rid it (and I have a conscience so I'm not keen on selling it privately knowing the problems it has).

Have you discovered the cause of the leak ?

There are many posts outlining quick and economical cures.

My High level brake leaked over this last few weeks ( Can't think why... )

It soaked the boot, filled the spare wheel area with a three inch puddle.

I took out the spare pulled up the drainage plugs and dried it out, I then took the carpet indoors to dry out.

I removed the two screws and cleaned off the seal on the brake light then I added some sealant around the seal and replaced it.

All this weekends storms did nothing to cause it to leak again.

Repair cost £ 3.50

Time: 30 minutes

Result :lol:

• Like 2

"it has a high French contact which I feel is the root of its problems."

Using that logic, then the French built Yaris with lots of French and E.U. parts must be of a similar poor standard.

Wherever they are designed/built then surely Toyota have put their name to it and it has to confirm to their allegedly high quality control standards? A leaking car is not high quality.

• Like 1

I agree that goods should be of satisfactory quality but time / age is also a contributory factor in the equation.

If there is an audit trail of complaints you may stand a chance, if not the odds on a free repair are slight.