Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Aygo (2005-2014) Water Leaks Please Read

grahamthegasman

From earlier posts in this topic, Toyota extended the warranty for water leaks to five years. Depending when your Aygo was first registered, you may still be covered by this extension. You will need to approach your Toyota dealer to enquire about this. 

If you're outside of the warranty extension, a successful approach to Toyota as regards goodwill repairs will depend on whether your car has a Toyota service history. Note that goodwill is often a contribution towards the cost of repairs, and may not be the full cost. Any repair agreed under goodwill will need to be done via a Toyota dealer. Contact details - https://www.toyota.co.uk/contact-us

• 2 weeks later...

I've had the exact same problem with my 2013 model. The boot, rear seats, footwells and carpets were soaked. With the amount of water that had come in the car started to get mouldy inside. 

I spoke with Toyota Swindon about the problem to which they said to bring the car in 4 days later. 2 days went past and they called to say they had replaced some seals and sorted out the high level brake light and the car is bone dry.

Only time will tell when I pick up the car to see if the problem has gone. Very good customer service at this branch in Swindon and we'll recommended.

16 minutes ago, K3nty said:

I've had the exact same problem with my 2013 model. The boot, rear seats, footwells and carpets were soaked. With the amount of water that had come in the car started to get mouldy inside. 

I spoke with Toyota Swindon about the problem to which they said to bring the car in 4 days later. 2 days went past and they called to say they had replaced some seals and sorted out the high level brake light and the car is bone dry.

Only time will tell when I pick up the car to see if the problem has gone. Very good customer service at this branch in Swindon and we'll recommended.

It's a shame that the old shape aygo's leak.

Thank goodness that toyota has a 5 years warranty

Fingers crossed it's fixed.

• 6 months later...

That old chestnut raised its head again today ! Water in the boot after a big downpour ,turned out to be a quick fix👍🏻 Rubber bump stops that keep the tailgate glass tensioned would spin freely by hand ...so sealed then with engine gasket 😎

DFF66D28-8239-4C88-AEE6-4C6D308FD20D.jpeg

C8AF26B4-9FF6-4CFF-9576-8A4726C72D08.jpeg

8C02B1A2-84F6-4BF0-A06D-1A4107D8D85D.jpeg

• Like 1

I haven't read through this thread, so if this tip has been posted before then apologies. A quick fix I have done in the past to seal leaky door seals (not on the Aygo) is to get some self adhesive draft excluder - the stuff you put round doors at home. Run it along the outside of the car seal so that it contacts the door when closed. It stops leaks. You can get it from the pound shop in enough quantity to do the job. 

Hi,

Interesting read.......... had the same issues this was the remedy, follow all videos!  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NwU_JsSfviA

• 1 month later...

Hi All

Im a newbie this site , just bought my wife a aygo platinum 2008.  Like the car so far but she reported that water was gathering in the boot near side.  Had a good look at all the related posts on this site which were very helpful.  

So I followed all the tips:  took out and put silicone sealer on the rear light cluster, made no differed water still coming in.  Took out the third break light and plastered that with silicone sealer, made no difference water still coming in.  Even took off the nut that holds the nearside glass boot lid to the body of the car, plastered that with silicone sealer and it made no difference, water still coming in.  So, im stood staring at the open hatchback scratching my head when I noticed the circular small black rubber stop that you can only see with the glass hatchback door open (level with the light cluster) which spins around freely if you try and turn it.  Took it out, put some silicone sealer around it and hey presto no more leak, even after putting it through the car wash.  Result, I don't think I've seen that on the post so Im sure it will be helpful to someone.

• 7 months later...

Hi I have a 2007 aygo which I’ve noticed has some water staining to the headliner any ideas on where this an occurr from

It's either from the high level brake light or radio aerial

As above, water ingress from the high-level brake light or aerial.

Suggest the only remedy is to get them out and apply silicone gunge around them in an effort to keep the water out!

All the best.

B

On 9/30/2018 at 9:14 PM, mrcrimps said:

Hi All

Im a newbie this site , just bought my wife a aygo platinum 2008.  Like the car so far but she reported that water was gathering in the boot near side.  Had a good look at all the related posts on this site which were very helpful.  

So I followed all the tips:  took out and put silicone sealer on the rear light cluster, made no differed water still coming in.  Took out the third break light and plastered that with silicone sealer, made no difference water still coming in.  Even took off the nut that holds the nearside glass boot lid to the body of the car, plastered that with silicone sealer and it made no difference, water still coming in.  So, im stood staring at the open hatchback scratching my head when I noticed the circular small black rubber stop that you can only see with the glass hatchback door open (level with the light cluster) which spins around freely if you try and turn it.  Took it out, put some silicone sealer around it and hey presto no more leak, even after putting it through the car wash.  Result, I don't think I've seen that on the post so Im sure it will be helpful to someone.

I did put that in my post (3 posts up )with photos could have saved you a good few hours ....anyway glad you have a dry boot now .

The fix for most of these Aygo's is:

1: Replace the high level brake light, its modified

2: Replace those two bump stops under the tailgate glass

3: Replace the bulb holders at the back of the rear lamps

Once you have done those modifications, it cures 95% of leaks

Is this issue present in AYGOs from 2016? Just want to know if it's worth notifying the dealer before I collect tomorrow.

12 minutes ago, iiNNeX said:

Is this issue present in AYGOs from 2016? Just want to know if it's worth notifying the dealer before I collect tomorrow.

No - the second generation Aygo (mid-2014 onwards) doesn't have any history of water leaks.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

Yes, my 2012 Aygo leaks. We replaced the rear horizontal light seals and silicones it in a couple of years ago. Now my back seat is wet through and it is starting to get mouldy. 

I have just rung the Toyota garage where I bought it and they want £89 just to check it over. 

any ideas how much it would cost to get this seen to in a regular garage? 
thanks  

40 minutes ago, georgiasmum said:

Yes, my 2012 Aygo leaks. We replaced the rear horizontal light seals and silicones it in a couple of years ago. Now my back seat is wet through and it is starting to get mouldy. 

I have just rung the Toyota garage where I bought it and they want £89 just to check it over. 

any ideas how much it would cost to get this seen to in a regular garage? 
thanks  

any garage will want a couple of hours labour or more...best bet is buy a tube of sealer and watch some youtube vids then tackle it yourself or get a friend to help  , none of it is particularly hard to do

16 minutes ago, steveo3002 said:

any garage will want a couple of hours labour or more...best bet is buy a tube of sealer and watch some youtube vids then tackle it yourself or get a friend to help  , none of it is particularly hard to do

Thanks. I figured as much. I have always had to have the air conditioning on else it’s steams up terribly. Never took it back when it was under warranty and i should have done. Any ideas about how to dry it out? Thanks 

most likely soaked under the carpets ....ideally they need lifting a bit , got mine up a bit at the moment with newspapers stuffed under it 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hi. I'm trying to fix a leaking 2007 Aygo, the rear footwells are soaked (right side more than left). I don't have a wet boot or roof - should I be looking at the door seals first? They look OK visually but a YouTube video posted on here says it may still be causing the problem. It's my first car and a newbie to trying to do repairs. 

5 hours ago, eddie7612 said:

Hi. I'm trying to fix a leaking 2007 Aygo, the rear footwells are soaked (right side more than left). I don't have a wet boot or roof - should I be looking at the door seals first? They look OK visually but a YouTube video posted on here says it may still be causing the problem. It's my first car and a newbie to trying to do repairs. 

Door seals are prone to failure, they are not cheap. Another area is the high level brake light seal and bump stops on the rear glass/tailgate. Sometimes it's the high level brake light that is the cause, the water gets into the boot, but with braking, the water overflows into the rear footwells, so just be aware of that 

Having a closer look it does appear it is the door seals, there is water underneath them and a trail leading from the outside along the door frame under the seal and into the floor. Is the only fix a new seal? Is there any way to repair a seal with sealant?

The boot seems OK, bit damp but I'm assuming this is condensation from the puddles in the footwells.

6 minutes ago, eddie7612 said:

Is there any way to repair a seal with sealant?

Not really, the seals are modified to prevent ingress

Another one on the same topic I'm afraid. My wife's 2012 Aygo Fire has the usual wet boot. I've sealed the third brake light and thought I'd fixed it but out driving today in the rain and there's water in the boot again. The water seems to be in the centre of the boot at the rear, just below the door lock. This leads me to think it could be the boot seal. Has anyone else any experience of this, only leaking when moving?

Tia.

Will

3 hours ago, wildwill said:

Another one on the same topic I'm afraid. My wife's 2012 Aygo Fire has the usual wet boot. I've sealed the third brake light and thought I'd fixed it but out driving today in the rain and there's water in the boot again. The water seems to be in the centre of the boot at the rear, just below the door lock. This leads me to think it could be the boot seal. Has anyone else any experience of this, only leaking when moving?

Tia.

Will

seal the boot flaps(bumper off ) and both rear lights , and the rubber buffers the tailgate sits on  

16 hours ago, steveo3002 said:

seal the boot flaps(bumper off ) and both rear lights , and the rubber buffers the tailgate sits on  

Thanks for that Steve, I'll do all that. Just an update, I went out this morning after rain and looked in the boot from the rear seat and there's water lying along the bottom of the boot seal, where the boot lock is. The seal itself was bone dry apart from the bottom edge. I'm now tempted to order a boot seal and try it. Any recommendations for who to buy a seal from?