Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Avensis Tourer D4D Tr - Mpg!

T17-TOY

Right 68.6 miles at 65MPH (Speedo not Sat Nav) on the cruise and here you go! It will do good figures, it took me 20 mins longer than normal though, the car isnt as good on fuel as my Passat for outside lane usage.

P1000622.jpg

Just to prove its real ;)

P1000623.jpg

Well, you must admit that, although you had to watch half the world pass you (probably even a Mini or two), you achieved seriously good mpg.

At least you have a choice now - drive fast or drive economically...

Having had four Passats in a row, prior to this Avensis, I must say that I love the Passat, but I just couldn't afford to keep he last one (the first one that wasn't a company car), due to it being worth less than the settlement figure. The Avensis, on the other hand, came with a five year warranty and the promise of good fuel economy, in a fair-sized car. Although I miss the Passat, I do really like this Avensis, as well.

I agree about the fuel economy at higher speeds though; the Passat is built for the Autobahn, so I'd expect it to some extent.

Right 68.6 miles at 65MPH (Speedo not Sat Nav) on the cruise and here you go! It will do good figures, it took me 20 mins longer than normal though, the car isnt as good on fuel as my Passat for outside lane usage.

P1000622.jpg

Just to prove its real ;)

P1000623.jpg

Well, you must admit that, although you had to watch half the world pass you (probably even a Mini or two), you achieved seriously good mpg.

Having had four Passats in a row, prior to this Avensis, I must say that I love the Passat, but I just couldn't afford to keep he last one (the first one that wasn't a company car), due to it being worth less than the settlement figure. The Avensis, on the other hand, came with a five year warranty and the promise of good fuel economy, in a fair-sized car. Although I miss the Passat, I do really like this Avensis, as well.

I agree about the fuel economy at higher speeds though; the Passat is built for the Autobahn, so I'd expect it to some extent.

Strange, I can't see the images even though I am logged in...what was the figure...must be some setting on work internet connection :censor:

Anyhow if I am going for economy I would NOT use cruise (not that you get it on a petrol TR!)as it is far too ken to hold speed on hills. Probably fine if journey is dead flat but if hilly you are better off losing a little speed on hills and gaining on descent in my experience.

I loved my 97® Passat to but t'was an expensive beast to run. In 12 months I needed 2 CV joints, turbo cat, cambelt change, MAF sensor and front suspension bush set. Almost crippled me financially! Next was was a 94(M) Carina E 1.6 and in 3 years that needed.........oil change every 9k (actually to be fair it also needed a lambda sensor).

My point is still that Total Cost of Ownership is about a LOT more than what you pay at the pump. I love the way modern CR diesels drivebut I'll be damned if I'm going to pay for one! :lol:

Tim

58 MPG Tim :yahoo:

There is no way i am/would subscribe to extreme hypermiling, i am not that bothered, i'm happy to drive sensibly and thats enough for me, plus the boredom just kills me. Driving should be fun :lol: And when you do 45,000 miles a year not using cruise is sadomasochistic in my opinion :crybaby: my leg/foot would fall off :lol:

As i work as fleet consultant i have some knowledge of the whole life costs of vehicles, good job my cars are company wagons, so its tax and private fuel all the way :yahoo:

I would like to add my experience with the 2.0D4D '56 Avensis Hatch over the past 14 months, approx 12k miles so far

Prior to this car I drove a Focus 06 1.8tdci Hatch over 20k miles

Generally mixed driving, but regularly do a 350 mile roundtrip every fortnight up and down the M1

Since, most of my miles are motorway, the average mpg (all quoted are calculated) is above the stated average; roughly 55mpg which is better than the Focus over the same route which would get approx 51mpg. But in the Avensis I cruise at 70mph (where poss) and Focus I would try and use my right foot to stay around the 60mph mark

Two reasons I would believe this to be the case, 1) Avensis is a more aerodynamic shape with smaller frontal area and 2) the sixth gear and cruise control helps, at 70mph in the Avensis, its about 2000rpm whereas in the Focus it was 2300rpm

In the Avensis I have done the same route both at 60mph and 70mph using cruise where there were no roadworks and at 60mph ~ 63mpg, 70mph ~ 58mpg

For me though, I am happy with the loss in mpg at 70mph, I feel more comfortable at that speed rather than 60mph esp since the engine does feel a bit laboured when on steep hills, ~ 2000rpm seems like the sweet spot for the motor

FYI, I use fuelly.com, but haven't updated for a while hence the figure is slightly above what I believe the current figure to be since I've had the car

Hope this provides some insight - but at the end of the day it does depend on how you drive the car ie using the brakes as little as possible when coming to a stop, while leaving the car in gear. But I must stress that I don't go over the top and not use Air Con ever or switch the engine off when I come to a stop while driving - my aim is to maintain the car, mechanically according to the schedule. Oh and touchwood so far, nothing has gone wrong or needed changing, current mileage 88k

Sorry for the essay just trying to cover all bases

the Avensis is bigger & heavier than an Octavia.

It's not mate, the PD140 Elegance Octavia is heavier than the Avensis T27 2/0 D4D, 45KG heavier :-) Skoda have access to all the latest Engines and my 1.8TSi engine appeared on the Superb before it did on the A3 and Golf / Jetta / Passat.

It's not mate, the PD140 Elegance Octavia is heavier than the Avensis T27 2/0 D4D, 45KG heavier :-) Skoda have access to all the latest Engines and my 1.8TSi engine appeared on the Superb before it did on the A3 and Golf / Jetta / Passat.

Where are you getting your values from?

Where are you getting your values from?

http://www.parkers.co.uk/cars/reviews/facts-and-figures/toyota/avensis/saloon-2009/53414/

http://www.parkers.co.uk/cars/reviews/facts-and-figures/skoda/octavia/hatchback-2004/28247/

I cant agree with that, when you look at this All the Octavia's 1350Kg would seem a more likely figure as its more constant for the Diesels. 170kg difference would seem about right, these new Avensis's are real tanks. The Skoda looks lightweight by comparison.

kerb weight of a 2.0 TDI 140 Octavia Estate is 1335Kg http://www.skoda.co.uk/gbr/newcars/octaviaestate/performance/Pages/default.aspx (even the 4x4 DSG which should be the heaviest combo is 1445Kg)

kerb weight of a 2.0 D4D Avensis Tourer is 1510Kg

I guess there's lot's of variables, and Parkers seems to have a few figures up in the air, but the PD140 of the OP's Vintage was different from the 2009 facelift model in a number of different ways. Little things like no spare wheel, the PD140 was a heavy lump mated with a 6 speed box. I have had a PD140 Elegance with a DSG and looking back through my old fuelly records it was hitting around 43-44mpg as average, but I never drive with economy in mind. My old T27 2.0 D4D was averaging about the same.

Strangely though, my current big old Superb, with it's custom remapped 1.8TSi Petrol Engine is doing 42.9 on a run (Brim to Brim) punt's out over 210BHP and over 360NM of Torque.

The New 2.0 CR Elegance Octavia Hatch is quoted on the Skoda site as having a 1320KG Kerb Weight and the Toyota Brochure for the T27 of the op's Vintage is quoting 1490kg, from the skoda archive / briskoda / skoda brochure for a 2006 Elegance 2.0 PD140 Elegance Saloon 6sp manual has a Kerb weight of 1465kg.

Newer Octy's are lighter, because of some of the factors mentioned above (Lighter materials / lighter engine / no spare wheel etc), so I put my hands up to say quoting parkers was wrong, so I was wrong, but the actual weight of the Octy in question is much closer to the T27 Avensis.

Having owned an Octy PD140 DSG (2007 model, pre facelift) I'm certain that was around 1500KG Kerbweight with the DSG (I Have the brochure at home so will check)

On another note, I still have a Brodit Pro clip phone mount for a T27 and a virtually new K&N Panel filter for the same 2.0D4D engine going cheap :) :)

Strangely though, my current big old Superb, with it's custom remapped 1.8TSi Petrol Engine is doing 42.9 on a run (Brim to Brim) punt's out over 210BHP and over 360NM of Torque.

This would be utopia if Mr T could build one, its always been a great engine over the years good on fuel, very driveable with the turbo torque and tuneable if required :yes: .

Nice all rounder the Superb :thumbsup:

This would be utopia if Mr T could build one, its always been a great engine over the years good on fuel, very driveable with the turbo torque and tuneable if required :yes: .

Nice all rounder the Superb :thumbsup:

It's a fallacy to say that VAG hold Skoda back to previous generation technology, they have dictated that the next model Superb will be smaller because it's stealing sales away from Passat's and A4's. Even my Mid range SE Plus is massivley specced as stock, Alacantara Upholstery / Twindoor boot system / Full Electric seats / Columbus SatNav / Premium bluetooth / interior ambient lighting, illuminated door handles / leccy folding mirrors / 4 plane lumbar support (Goes up and down as well as out and in, we are not all the same size after all) and the list goes on.

I sometimes think that Toyota invests so much in Hybrid technology at the expense of further development of it's diesels and petrols. I liked plenty of things about my T27 when I had it, apart from the build quality, it's not indicative of Toyota as a whole, but mine was not assembled, it was thrown together from a distance and between DPF issues (I don't drive in town, just thrashed it up and down the motorway to work) Park brake failures and rattles / squeaks it's put me off for life.

The facelift looks good though, big improvement in the looks from the front, now they need to stick a Light Pressure turbo on the 1.8 petrol, that would be nice.

On my 2.0 D4D I did get slightly better MPG once I popped the K&N in (again checking Brim to Brim and using fuelly), looking at the standard filter, it was a wonder any air made it in at all :)

The Avensis was a fantastic motorway plodder though, comfortable and stable, mine was just plagued by faults. I'm thinking about looking for an 03 on MR2 to replace my current MX-5, which would be nice :)

They do hold engines back, if you bought a Superb 2.0 Tdi 170PS it would produce 149 CO2, an Audi A4 2.0 Tdi has 177PS and 120 CO2. A 1.8T Superb produces 160PS with 169 CO2, an A4 1.8T has 170PS and produces 134 CO2.

The platforms appear before the equivalent VW/Audi but not the power units, this would be the reason used for the much higher price.

• Like 1

Came down from Chester to Hampton ( top of M3 ) yesterday evening in busy rush hour traffic: M56, M6, M40, M25 etc. Couldn't do more than an indicated 80. Most of the way to Birmingham was at 65/ 70mph. Trip computer showed 70.3mpg when I got home which means better than real 60mpg based on tank to tank calculations. Yes in an old non-DPF 2.0 D4D.

Came down from Chester to Hampton ( top of M3 ) yesterday evening in busy rush hour traffic: M56, M6, M40, M25 etc. Couldn't do more than an indicated 80. Most of the way to Birmingham was at 65/ 70mph. Trip computer showed 70.3mpg when I got home which means better than real 60mpg based on tank to tank calculations. Yes in an old non-DPF 2.0 D4D.

Very good mpg mate :thumbsup:

my T180 over last 30,000miles has done average of 46.8mpg majority motorway but also small roads and farm tracks. If you drive too low on the revs the EGR valve cokes up too quick. Use the cruise control to accelorate and keep steady at 1800 revs seems the best compromise.

Interested to hear about K & N Tunit I was wondering about these units as I do 30,000 year. Any gems of advise?

my T180 over last 30,000miles has done average of 46.8mpg majority motorway but also small roads and farm tracks. If you drive too low on the revs the EGR valve cokes up too quick. Use the cruise control to accelorate and keep steady at 1800 revs seems the best compromise.

Interested to hear about K & N Tunit I was wondering about these units as I do 30,000 year. Any gems of advise?

I run a K&N air and Tunit box on my T-180. I have gained 12mpg (On a 300 mile trip) on the Motorway @70mph with the cruise on! Expensive at £485 a go! But used you can pick them up for £130-£160 ish off Fleabay...

I've got a 2.0 d4d estate with 208000 on clock. In last 4 years have covered 100000 miles economy has been very consistant. Weekly drive is 420 miles in 3 days on motorways plus short trips on cold engine as kids taxi. Try to have light right foot, computer says 64mpg but actaul is 58. On daily motorway cruise it works out to be in the 70s but cold engine round hilly town is scarely low. Engine has started to drink a wee bit of oil (1l/2000 miles) but other then this it's great. Read a great article on fuel economy, obvious right foot, plus good oil and don't overfil, keep tyre pressures 1 above recommended and don't lug around unecessary weight. Cars haven't really got much more economical in te last 10 years, not since te big jump when diesels used common rail.

• 7 months later...

P1000622.jpg

Just to prove its real wink.gif

P1000623.jpg

Hi how do u get the MPG to show up .on my dash it shows KM,/100KM or km/km theirs no mpg im averaging around 17.1 which i think is about 48mpg on motorway at 80mph.

I have had my 2008 2.2 D4D for two weeks now. 112000 on the clock and returning 50.3mpg. I'm very please with 50mpg and 150hp. I think I'm going to enjoy my Avensis...

I have a 2011 2.2 and my son has a 2009 2.00 both TR estates, on a recent trip across northern France over 400 autoroute miles travelling at about 85mph both cars fully laden with my car having 5 adults and luggage and my sons having 3 adulty one child and luggage my car returned 44.6 mpg and my sons 47.8 mpg this was brim to brim not trip comp miles. The computer on mine was showing just over 48 mpg and my sons was just over 53 mpg both optimistic.

• 6 months later...

Interesting. I've only been getting 49 on my 2.0D 2010. On my old Avensis (2.0 - 2004) I got 60 on a long run - maybe I need to reset and try again.

Does yours use any oil?