Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Ohhhh Bother.. Oil Burning Again ..

CharlieFarlie

Today I have had to add a litre of oil to the engine .. This is the second time I have had to do this in the last two thousand miles ..... Engine has now done 7 thousand miles since be changed ...... Very disappointed to put it mildly !! Engine has been run reasonably steadily and for the first 4 thousand miles was using no oil at all now its off again..

I was hoping when I topped it up last time I was mistaken so said nothing despite My thinking something is not right.. I will ring the Dealers tomorrow and see what they have to say...................

Charlie.

What oil is in it Charlie? It should be fully synthetic and if so then stop worrying. The pistons/rings will take up to 10k to bed.

That is disappointing Charlie. Be interesting to see what the Dealers/Toyota have to say.

Would think Anchs is right, plus you have been up and down to the Midlands quite a bit? Then for your own peace of mind you can take it back to the Main dealer to see what he comes up with.

Regards Clare

What oil is in it Charlie? It should be fully synthetic and if so then stop worrying. The pistons/rings will take up to 10k to bed.

Castrol GTX Magnatec 5w30 fully synthetic.. You may remember My asking if it was suitable on here ? The engine burnt No oil for the first 4 K miles or so and during the last 3 K miles its taken 2 litres.. How can it be that it burns none then starts burning after around 4 thousand miles ??

Charlie.

Castrol GTX Magnatec 5w30 fully synthetic.. You may remember My asking if it was suitable on here ?

From the info I have (which might not be completely up to date), for you model year, Toyota were only specifying and oil with an API CF grade, which that Magnatec meets.

Later they are specifying either ACEA B1 or API CF for non DPF engines.

They specify ACEA C2 for DPF engines from about the end of 2008 onwards. Presumably to help prevent killing the DPF.

From end 08 onwards C2 can also be used in the non DPF engines where fuel sulphur content is less than 50ppm (which it is in the UK). Otherwise ACEA B1 / API CF is OK in those too.

Toyota don't appear to have there own oil spec, like other manufacturers, which is good in a way - they are saying their engine will work with a wider range of oils perhaps, but it makes you wonder doesn't it?......................

Now what should be in your engine? I would think what you've got in will not make a whole heap of beans difference, but should a C2 grade now be strictly speaking specified? :unsure:

I'm neglecting to mention viscosity here, but 5W30 is fine, as is a range of others.

• Like 1

Today I have had to add a litre of oil to the engine .. This is the second time I have had to do this in the last two thousand miles ..... Engine has now done 7 thousand miles since be changed ...... Very disappointed to put it mildly !! Engine has been run reasonably steadily and for the first 4 thousand miles was using no oil at all now its off again..

I was hoping when I topped it up last time I was mistaken so said nothing despite My thinking something is not right.. I will ring the Dealers tomorrow and see what they have to say...................

Charlie.

What a BUMMER !

I had previously noticed Petes post about subsequent failures :ermm:

I did hear on a reliable grapevine that Toyota will soon revert to rebuilding the AD series engines at the dealerships as opposed to fitting the 3/4 engine as these have also got some degree of failure rate.

It seems to me that the "problems" have not been solved by whatever the modifications have been fitted to them and the poor fuel theory may well hold water but then again who knows as Mistermena for one uses Shell diesel & BG244 and is on his second AD engine :unsure:.

Regards ... Pete.

I realise in past Years that engines could and often would burn oil until the running in period and often beyond . Especially diesel engine which used to take far longer to run in and also take lots of miles before optimum fuel economy would be reached..

But I thought with these modern engines built to extremely fine tolerances this this is now not always the case..

Many now say there is no need to run engines in at all and just drive normally. I chose to do just this but My style of driving in this car is very steady and I never ever let an engine labour !! So with 7000+ miles it should be fine.. As said above during that first 4 to 4500 miles The engine used no oil at all. This I checked and checked very often as being a pedantic Person I check tyres for condition and pressure ( Cold ) I check the oil and coolant and even the wipers front and rear each and every time I do My long journeys.. So I really do know that No oil was used during those first few thousand miles and now its burning again...

I will call the Dealers tomorrow and explain what is going on if only to cover By backside.. I have carried out a close inspection around and under the engine looking for any leaks.. There are none !!

Charlie.

My dad gets a new Honda CRV every 6-12 months and it's quite normal for these to need filling every few thousand miles until they bed in.

Charlie.

check if suction manifold is oily inside after compressor -- may be the issue is with turbo seals.

i still doubt the rings are guilty. Regards/Igor

Some engines might use a little oil when `bedding in` and shouldn`t be excessive but in this case theres obviously something wrong.... an engine doesn`t run for 4k miles without using oil and then suddenly start without being a reason.

Charlie.

check if suction manifold is oily inside after compressor -- may be the issue is with turbo seals.

Surely if turbo seals were gone it would be smoking ?? It isn't...

Charlie.

Charlie.

Charlie.

not always vissible -- it depends on the leak amount thru seals; air filter condition; injection condition; condition of valves stem seals (!).

you'd consider all possible variants as easy to check without surgeon penetrating.

regards/igor

My 4:2 has used nothing in 8k miles using 5w40 oil......using 5w30 I was topping up....give 5w40 a try just as an experiment if you like. But my thoughts on toyotas engines problems is look else where, untill BMW sort things out.

Toyota these days have nothing but exploding engines across the world. Just Google "Toyota engine failure" if you think I'm talking poo.

It's core engine problems your basic bread and butter that's failing..

Respect to them trying to sort it out with extended wartanty. But looks like even Toyota have given up by bringing in BMW.

BMW saved the freelander! The BMW td4 engine is like jesus.

AMEN!!

Charlie.

Charlie.

not always vissible -- it depends on the leak amount thru seals; air filter condition; injection condition; condition of valves stem seals (!).

you'd consider all possible variants as easy to check without surgeon penetrating.

regards/igor

Injectors are new or 7000 miles old .. Valve stem seals ? Well the engine is new or 7000 miles .. I would see a brief puff of smoke on start up when the car has been stood overnight as when valve seals go its common for the oil to seep past them when stood for elongated periods and the burn off when the engine is started. I get no smoke visible.... Air filter is 2000 miles old and is spotlessly clean ..

Injectors are new or 7000 miles old .. Valve stem seals ? Well the engine is new or 7000 miles .. I would see a brief puff of smoke on start up when the car has been stood overnight as when valve seals go its common for the oil to seep past them when stood for elongated periods and the burn off when the engine is started. I get no smoke visible.... Air filter is 2000 miles old and is spotlessly clean ..

check with suction manifold to exclude this link from the chain. besides in case MrT has installed new engine -- they had to do that giving you 1 year warranty' hadn't they ?? you're entitle to arise a claim having all payment confirmation + engine installation report. rgrds/Igor

Oil consumption is not easy to monitor or to explain. It can vary quite widely under different conditions so just sit tight and I'm sure it will settle to a reasonable amount.

Igor

Mate Yes of course its under warranty no worries there !!

Don I appreciate what You are saying but given the history with these blooming engines I will register what is going on with the Dealer tomorrow...

If I was going into Toyota for the first time with an oil consumption issue I would not be accepting that oil is burnt under varying conditions.....

I like this car very much but doubt if I can go through the procedure again and remain confident in the car for the future.. If and its a big if it requires another engine swap I will drop the car like a stone NO question .....

Charlie.

All these 4.3 oil burners keep useing oil.

Of all the issues i've had with my 4.2,its never used any oil,always at the same place on the dipstick :D

And yes,that is one place i can check that the oil HAS been changed at service....cause its almost clear just after the service.

Checked the oil this morning,and its just starting to look a little dark....next service will be at my local independent though :thumbsup: no more Colchester toyota service stamps in my book :o

Hi,

Don't want to teach anyone to suck eggs but its worth remembering before you go in to deep that these engines have a very long drain down period,would suggest that parking level and checking stone cold in the morning, have known people to shout about their oil levels being low after a service and they topped it up only to find after leaving it overnight that some has now got to be drained out up to .75 ltr. just bear it in mind,

It works on the same principle as using thin oil does. We use thin oil under pressure to get around the tiny running clearance very quick. It also takes ages to run back to the sump.

640 miles to 1 lrt of oil so what they will say is your not doing too bad only using 2 lrts in 2000 miles

Hi,

Don't want to teach anyone to suck eggs but its worth remembering before you go in to deep that these engines have a very long drain down period,would suggest that parking level and checking stone cold in the morning, have known people to shout about their oil levels being low after a service and they topped it up only to find after leaving it overnight that some has now got to be drained out up to .75 ltr. just bear it in mind,

Checked it Saturday afternoon after it was stood and then left it overnight just to be sure and checked it again........ :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

640 miles to 1 lrt of oil so what they will say is your not doing too bad only using 2 lrts in 2000 miles

1 litre per 1000 miles in a new engine that burnt none for the first 4500 miles ?? How so ??? :rolleyes:

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links