Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Ohhhh Bother.. Oil Burning Again ..

CharlieFarlie

No way in Million years am I buying that Toyota BS about the fuel not good enough.... If it is destroying engines they would pass on the repair bills to the petrol companys.

What next? These engines only run on special Toyota fuel, extracted from freshly captured TOYOTA service staff BS??

Who are they trying to kid?

Service Manager I spoke to today says using 40 grade is only feasible in very hot climates where it would be suitable It could be used here and may eliminate some of the oil being burnt.... But it will over time cause other problems and as said WILL invalidate any and all warranties.. These engines were designed to use 5w30 oils. Whatever We or You choose is not right but carry on if You know more than Toyota ??

Toyota cannot pass on the bills to the oil company's because their design of the 2AD engine meant it was not good enough to tolerate the crap fuels We get here in the UK. NOT the other way round..

The Company Toyota have put up their hands and admitted that this is the case . THE ENGINES DESIGN MEANS IT CANNOT TOLERATE THE FUELS IN THE UK !

So are paying for the replacement of countless engines to remedy the fault.....

It is also a fact that My replacement engine (That is replacement NOT rebuilt engine ) is not by any means the first to fail !!

Make of that as You wish but I have had enough.... I will not simply pass knowingly this car onto an unwitting Owner as it is ! Despite this being My first thought if I'm honest .... I think that would be being very unfair to do that so I have little choice but to go through the whole darn process once again..

I am extremely disappointed in the whole situation and disillusioned with Toyota's products. But not with their service and commitment which is second to none !!

Charlie.

When any manufacturer makes a vehicle they spend a lot of time (And money) working out what lubes should be used! and there is a good reason for that weather it be engine oil/gearbox oils/brake fluids ect. So if a 5w-30 oil is specified for that engine then it should be used or quite rightly this would invalidated any warranty for that part. I think that Charlie is going about it in the correct manor by having the oil tagged and most likely a new 3/4 engine will be fitted. If he were to sell this car with a known fault then it could be open to litigation from the new owner of the car which would undoubtedly become protracted and costly.

If the issue is with the "Poor quality" (And I'm not saying that it is or not) of our UK derv and Toyota are replacing the engine there is no guarantee this issue will not happen again to the next owner of the car as Toyota can not demand that all 2AD owners MUST use a premium fuels such as Shell and BP! I have always run my oil burner soley on V-Power diesel as I know that this has far more additives than "Normal" fuels and I get greater mpg and the cost (When you get money back vouchers ect) is as close to regular diesel as you can get.

Toyota will have to step upto the plate and get this issue resolved (Whatever it is) as I cant see them replacing engines indefinately to have them fail over and over again within such a short space of time.What the hell they will do if it is the quality of the fuel, God only knows!...

Watch every documentry on Africa, India, the Australian outback, every so called third world country, What is the most common car you will see? answer TOYOTA, but they will not run properly on UK fuel :unsure: I THINK NOT!!!

YODA, I enjoy your posts and your sense of humour, In Australia there is an underground mine, they run Landcruisers down their as transport, due to conditions they are Knackered after 6 mths, they tried landrovers, they didn't get to the end of the first day :yes: The Aussies have a saying,"if you want to go into the bush take a landrover" but if you want to come back again take a Toyota.. :D :D :D

Charlie calm down.

Your engine has not suddenly started to use oil because it has failed. There is a reason.

I have been in the garage and dug out an empty tub (saved for waste oil) that Guy bought off Toyota for his T180. The spec is on the tub. It is a semi synthetic 5W/30 and not even C2 for DPF. It is just plain old B1/B2 the same as the Morris's I use.

You know from the many posts that we have on here that not everybody in a dealer knows what they are talking about and I can tell you from experience that an engine will consume fully synthetic oil more than semi-synthetic. I can also tell you it will settle down but it may take some considerable time especially if you are using semi-synthetic as it reduces the very friction needed to bed the engine.

Do me a favour and just humour me. Drop the oil out and refil with a good quality semi-synthtic (genuine Toyota if you like). Run it for a bit and see what happens. It will cost you far less than trailing down south and going through all the trouble of having the engine changed.

If I wanted advice on a bike or roofing I would trust every word you said implicitly so just trust me and try - it will stand you at £30 or so.

That poor T180 of yours will be a nervous wreck. Every time a panel rattles or a door hinge squeaks it gets threatened with the bin.

I have several mates down here that have new engines and none of them use oil but none of them have fully synthetic oil in them.

Give it a chance Charlie before it goes to death row!!!

I don't accept that you must run a RAV on high grade diesel - only that you will do it good by avoiding supermarket diesel. You will do good by running an engine that uses oil on high grade diesel. You will do better by running a perfect engine on high grade diesel if you want to keep it clean internally, improve the life of the egr, dpf and cat. It will sound quieter and may provide extra miles to offset the cost. A RAV is no different than most other cars, if you put junk in you get junk out.

The 2AD is not universally bad. The post 2009 models with the 150 engines are trouble free and so is a reworked 3/4 engine as it is virtually the same thing.

Anchorman is talking great sense. Follow his lead Charlie and give your Rav time, it'll come good.

When did you do your oil change, was it around 4.5k miles?

Yes Mate and I understand fully where You are going here... But the oil I have used is the correct grade and meets or exceeds the specifications set out by Toyota.

Reading all the thread again it does seem to be a hell of a coincidence though :unsure:

Don a very good point Re semi and fully synthetic and one that has not been considered by Me or pointed out by either the Dealer or Toyota GB....

I did explain carefully though the sequence of events IE I changed the oil at around the time it started to burn oil once again.............

My mind is made up now though and new car will be on the drive within the next couple of months or so.. And it wont be wearing a Toyota Badge.... I will be sticking around the Forum though as I have made some Friends here..... :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Charlie.

No Jedi, don,t think Charlies going down the Landrover route!!!!

Regards Clare

Doing this very quickly in my break- this thread is soooo good I want to know the outcome

BMW maybe? ;-)

Yeah they`re troublefree :lol:

Whatever it is I just hope it wont throw up as many problems as the Rav has done since I bought it less than 10 months ago...

Perhaps I have just been lucky with My previous vehicles ? I have had a huge amount of cars over the Years and this car has had more issues than any of them. This is a real shame because I do like the car but just cant be bothered with constantly wondering what's next ?

The other small complaint I have with the Rav is the amount of squeaks and rattles from the interior trim. As fast as I find one and cure it another develops somewhere else..

I usually buy My cars almost new and drop them at 3 years before the warranty ends.. That is likely what I will do this time around......

The reason I wont be going for a new or nearly new Rav are that I cannot get everything included in the specs that are available.. Plus Confidence in the brand is low . Plus if I'm spending 30K or thereabouts I don't want rattles and !Removed! squeaks !!

Despite all this I do like the Rav4 as a car.. Its versatile does most if not all the things I've asked it to. Has very decent running costs and is good to drive over long distances...

But enough is enough.....

Plus if I'm spending 30K or thereabouts I don't want rattles and !Removed! squeaks

Ha your going for a posh Tiguan = an Audi Q5 ? :)

Owt but an X3 :yawn:

This Evoque is for sale on detailing World, you`d look well in that :D

Evoque 2.2sd4 Dynamic Lux Auto - Sumatra Black / Ebony leather

Privacy

Adaptive xenons

Space saver wheel

Style 7 ( chrome alloys)

750miles only

£45k (list price)

56e53154eabc749340c623f5eb4c3b95.jpg?ref=nf

I was looking at the basic Evoque but the waiting list and the legendary Land Rover reliability :lol:

Owt but an X3 :yawn:

This Evoque is for sale on Detailing World, you`d look well in that :D

Evoque 2.2sd4 Dynamic Lux Auto - Sumatra Black / Ebony leather

Privacy

Adaptive xenons

Space saver wheel

Style 7 ( chrome alloys)

750miles only

£45k (list price)

56e53154eabc749340c623f5eb4c3b95.jpg?ref=nf

I was looking at the basic Evoque but the waiting list and the lengendary Land Rover reliability :lol:

So low at the front it looks like it would have trouble with a speed hump :rolleyes:

Dont buy a Q5. A friend of mine ditched his after 6months ownership due to the nunber of faults.

Watch every documentry on Africa, India, the Australian outback, every so called third world country, What is the most common car you will see? answer TOYOTA, but they will not run properly on UK fuel :unsure: I THINK NOT!!!

YODA, I enjoy your posts and your sense of humour, In Australia there is an underground mine, they run Landcruisers down their as transport, due to conditions they are Knackered after 6 mths, they tried landrovers, they didn't get to the end of the first day :yes: The Aussies have a saying,"if you want to go into the bush take a landrover" but if you want to come back again take a Toyota.. :D :D :D

Did You stop to consider that this is all about the 2AD engines that were/are supplied for the European IE British market ??

We are after all not talking about any other Toyota engine.. So Daktari in His Hi lux ect are likely OK ? And even if they are not do You suppose they are going to stop filming to tell Us all how many of them are on Their second or third engine ?? :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Toyota themselves are saying that due to a DESIGN FAULT THE 2AD ENGINE WILL NOT TOLERATE THE FUEL WE HAVE IN THE UK.. All other engines are not affected just THE 2AD ENGINES.

This is why they are replacing so many engines.. It is a design fault...

Dont buy a Q5. A friend of mine ditched his after 6months ownership due to the nunber of faults.

Sounds a bit like Me and the Rav then ??

Every car in existence will have some niggles or faults that's just the way it is... But as I've said this car I have here has had more niggles and faults than any I've had before.. In fact it still has !! The steering has a clicking noise that is there and has been since I bought the car.. I also know what it is and it is a common problem that will get no worse and cause no issues whatsoever BUT it is still there and I hear it most every time I drive the car.. So its still a fault.......

It doesn't matter what car I buy next or propose to buy next as It will be condemned out of hand... (Which is why I wont say what it is) But I just hope its less trouble than this one !!

Charlie

Anything will be better than what you have charles....the least you would want is for the engine to reach 10k.....

Even a travant can do that. :-)

There is one very large question here though.....

IF as Don says above.. And I for one partially agree.. That the 2AD engine may burn fully synthetic oil... But may not burn Semi synthetic oil...... How many engines have been oil consumption tested that have Fully synthetic oil in the sumps and then condemned ??

Where if they had had Semi synthetic in the sump they may not have burned oil and would have been deemed just fine and still been running in the cars to this day ??

Makes You wonder Eh ??

Charlie.

Go on, tell us. Everyone has opinions on motors. They are a very personal thing. If its a Landy or a Fiat, so what. Will keep this thread entertaining anyway :-)

Thanks for your reply Charlie Re the engines :thumbsup:

I suppose a petrol Rav is out the question with the amount of miles you cover??