Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Ohhhh Bother.. Oil Burning Again ..

CharlieFarlie

There is one very large question here though.....

IF as Don says above.. And I for one partially agree.. That the 2AD engine may burn fully synthetic oil... But may not burn Semi synthetic oil...... How many engines have been oil consumption tested that have Fully synthetic oil in the sumps and then condemned ??

Where if they had had Semi synthetic in the sump they may not have burned oil and would have been deemed just fine and still been running in the cars to this day ??

Makes You wonder Eh ??

Charlie.

Semi oil will be thicker and Will lube better than synth...my thicker oil theory again. :-)

There is one very large question here though.....

IF as Don says above.. And I for one partially agree.. That the 2AD engine may burn fully synthetic oil... But may not burn Semi synthetic oil...... How many engines have been oil consumption tested that have Fully synthetic oil in the sumps and then condemned ??

Where if they had had Semi synthetic in the sump they may not have burned oil and would have been deemed just fine and still been running in the cars to this day ??

Makes You wonder Eh ??

Charlie.

My 1st engine rebuild (From the dealer) had a semi synth oil put in it as befor I bought the car, I called and asked them what oil they used and told me a "Semi-synth Sir" this was also confirmed by Toyota UK when I called them to ask about all the warranty work that had been done to date, including the engine rebuild. But as alot of you know that engine lasted less than 8k and the 2nd engine was replaced (Different dealer rebuild and full synth oil) which I dropped at 1000miles in favor of Mobil 1 ESP (5w-30) C2 spec.

Mine has suffered from some oil use but I'm going to stick with it (9,500miles since rebuild at dealer) as the "Sniff test" (Snap On) came back negative, so I will be changing the oil (ESP) this weekend and all filters plus check the EGR and clean as I still have months of warranty left on the engine. I dont want to sell the car just yet untill I've given it a chance, as I feel she could not run in. Gotta give the old girl a chance to prove herself! or I will be hot on the heels of Charlie and getting rid! going back to Audi or something that will last...

Dont buy a Q5. A friend of mine ditched his after 6months ownership due to the nunber of faults.

Sounds a bit like Me and the Rav then ??

Every car in existence will have some niggles or faults that's just the way it is... But as I've said this car I have here has had more niggles and faults than any I've had before.. In fact it still has !! The steering has a clicking noise that is there and has been since I bought the car.. I also know what it is and it is a common problem that will get no worse and cause no issues whatsoever BUT it is still there and I hear it most every time I drive the car.. So its still a fault.......

It doesn't matter what car I buy next or propose to buy next as It will be condemned out of hand... (Which is why I wont say what it is) But I just hope its less trouble than this one !!

Charlie

Sorry to hear you are burning oil again in your T180. I can understand why you are fed up but a real shame as I am sure the T180 RAV would be great to drive especially with the Kingo chip. But who wants extra hassle with their cars? I would also chop my car in if it was using oil like that - especially on a second engine - but I do like the size of the RAV as it is not too cumbersome and so handles well, as well as looking good IMO.

How about a Lexus RX as a replacement - should be able to make a good saving on a nearly new one and also have good reliability and backup from the dealer?

David

Thanks for your reply Charlie Re the engines :thumbsup:

I suppose a petrol Rav is out the question with the amount of miles you cover??

It is.. The other reason is I just don't like the way the petrol cars deliver the power.. I like low down torque not chasing the revs for the powerband.. But the MPG is the killer .... :thumbsup:

Dont buy a Q5. A friend of mine ditched his after 6months ownership due to the nunber of faults.

Sounds a bit like Me and the Rav then ??

Every car in existence will have some niggles or faults that's just the way it is... But as I've said this car I have here has had more niggles and faults than any I've had before.. In fact it still has !! The steering has a clicking noise that is there and has been since I bought the car.. I also know what it is and it is a common problem that will get no worse and cause no issues whatsoever BUT it is still there and I hear it most every time I drive the car.. So its still a fault.......

It doesn't matter what car I buy next or propose to buy next as It will be condemned out of hand... (Which is why I wont say what it is) But I just hope its less trouble than this one !!

Charlie

Sorry to hear you are burning oil again in your T180. I can understand why you are fed up but a real shame as I am sure the T180 RAV would be great to drive especially with the Kingo chip. But who wants extra hassle with their cars? I would also chop my car in if it was using oil like that - especially on a second engine - but I do like the size of the RAV as it is not too cumbersome and so handles well, as well as looking good IMO.

How about a Lexus RX as a replacement - should be able to make a good saving on a nearly new one and also have good reliability and backup from the dealer?

David

RX are petrol only or some Hybrid tosh ................... :thumbsup:

I wonder if your T180 Kingo Chip will work in the latest D-Cat 150BHP Engines? :D B) ;)  

No Mate it wont... It will work on any 180BHP 2 AD engine though and that's about it .......

Been reading this and waiting for the right time to chip in so to speak.

I too have had a new engine (3/4 block) or whatever they are called. I asked Mr T when I had my new engine if I could use Mobil 1 ESP 5w-30 fully synthetic and I was told yes no problem - so that oil went in to my new engine as my choice as I have read that this is supposed to be the best oil for these engines.

Anyway, no oil used up to 3,500 miles and when I checked it I have had to put 0.5 litres in to it. The wife has put a good few miles on again since so will check it this weekend to gauge how much, if any has been used in say 1,000 miles or so.

As Don says, the motor is likely to use some fully synthetic until it beds in properly so I am going to give it a bit more time before going back to Mr T as it is running sweet but obviously as Charlie has stated I am not prepared to put up with a motor that is using oil should this still be the case once it passes say 10k on the new motor.

Been reading this and waiting for the right time to chip in so to speak.

I too have had a new engine (3/4 block) or whatever they are called. I asked Mr T when I had my new engine if I could use Mobil 1 ESP 5w-30 fully synthetic and I was told yes no problem - so that oil went in to my new engine as my choice as I have read that this is supposed to be the best oil for these engines.

Anyway, no oil used up to 3,500 miles and when I checked it I have had to put 0.5 litres in to it. The wife has put a good few miles on again since so will check it this weekend to gauge how much, if any has been used in say 1,000 miles or so.

As Don says, the motor is likely to use some fully synthetic until it beds in properly so I am going to give it a bit more time before going back to Mr T as it is running sweet but obviously as Charlie has stated I am not prepared to put up with a motor that is using oil should this still be the case once it passes say 10k on the new motor.

Martin. I spent the best part of an hour and a half on the phone Yesterday to the Dealers and Toyota GB. Both said the engine should not be burning oil.. whether fully or semi synthetic..

I will check the oil on Saturday morning & if it has used more again I will go down to Lindops - I can't get there before Saturday whatever way it goes

One thing that is on My side is how much T180s Are advertised for !! Cheapest one within 200 miles of My postcode was one with 53K miles. No steps or appearance pack. No roof rails ect £12.500 !!!!!!! I was thinking 8 or 9 grand !!!!!!

Watch every documentry on Africa, India, the Australian outback, every so called third world country, What is the most common car you will see? answer TOYOTA, but they will not run properly on UK fuel :unsure: I THINK NOT!!!

YODA, I enjoy your posts and your sense of humour, In Australia there is an underground mine, they run Landcruisers down their as transport, due to conditions they are Knackered after 6 mths, they tried landrovers, they didn't get to the end of the first day :yes: The Aussies have a saying,"if you want to go into the bush take a landrover" but if you want to come back again take a Toyota.. :D :D :D

Did You stop to consider that this is all about the 2AD engines that were/are supplied for the European IE British market ??

We are after all not talking about any other Toyota engine.. So Daktari in His Hi lux ect are likely OK ? And even if they are not do You suppose they are going to stop filming to tell Us all how many of them are on Their second or third engine ?? :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Toyota themselves are saying that due to a DESIGN FAULT THE 2AD ENGINE WILL NOT TOLERATE THE FUEL WE HAVE IN THE UK.. All other engines are not affected just THE 2AD ENGINES.

This is why they are replacing so many engines.. It is a design fault...

You miss the point Charlie, Toyotas are popular in countries where they have to have the most reliable cars, No other make has ever been driven to the North Pole for example, And when everyone else was cleaning their EGRs, I was one of the only ones telling everyone on here TWO YEARS AGO that if EGRs were clogging up there was a design fault which was causing the problem, I am not clever enough to know what the problem was, but i knew cleaning them every 10,000 was not the answer.. I also cannot believe that TOYOTA themselves (who at Toyota?) are saying they have designed an engine for the european market, which cannot be run on UK fuel, whether its V Power or weasel Pee, it just Beggars belief :thumbsup: Stew

Most marques of cars have problems with EGR valves :censor: ing up. You only have to look at the likes of Mazda (Acetip told me about this issue) and VW to see that. Its strange that Toyota has problems with there EGR valves it means that the whole engine is :censor: and other car just either need a new valve or a clean. I agree that with what you've been saying (And pointing out over 2 years) that there must be a design floor somewhere. I've spent most of the day trying to find out more on the fuels that we NOW have here compaired to the rest of the World and I cant seem to find anything about our diesel being sh@t and the rest have a better standard!!!...

Choose well Charlie. I thought it made economic sense to move to a Kia and although it did everything I expected it to, I simply didn't enjoy it as much as a RAV. This 2010 RAV gives me all the comfort and features I want, uses no oil (like the last 2010 model I had) and I am not aware of another manufacturer that will go to such lengths to look after an owner.

It was an expensive mistake.

Good luck.

Most marques of cars have problems with EGR valves :censor: ing up. You only have to look at the likes of Mazda and VW to see that. Its strange that Toyota has problems with there EGR valves it means that the whole engine is :censor: and other car just either need a new valve or a clean. I agree that with what you've been saying (And pointing out over 2 years) that there must be a design floor somewhere. I've spent most of the day trying to find out more on the fuels that we NOW have here compaired to the rest of the World and I cant seem to find anything about our diesel being sh@t and the rest have a better standard!!!...

Hi old mate,cant undrestand why our fuels should be inferior to any other countries.It meets the spec that recommened in the handbooks.Does not say you should use higher grades like V power etc.

Dont know about diesel in the USA & Canada but their unleaded is only 90 octane compared to our 95.

I understood that vehicle engines have different spec to allow for conditions and the quality of fuel to which ever country they are supplied to.Are the fuels so bad in this country that Toyota cant supply these engine to run without needing major repairs after running a few thousand miles.

You cant tell me me our the fuels in this country are inferior to those in third world countries.

Its just a load of cr##.

Most marques of cars have problems with EGR valves :censor: ing up. You only have to look at the likes of Mazda and VW to see that. Its strange that Toyota has problems with there EGR valves it means that the whole engine is :censor: and other car just either need a new valve or a clean. I agree that with what you've been saying (And pointing out over 2 years) that there must be a design floor somewhere. I've spent most of the day trying to find out more on the fuels that we NOW have here compaired to the rest of the World and I cant seem to find anything about our diesel being sh@t and the rest have a better standard!!!...

Hi old mate,cant undrestand why our fuels should be inferior to any other countries.It meets the spec that recommened in the handbooks.Does not say you should use higher grades like V power etc.

Dont know about diesel in the USA & Canada but their unleaded is only 90 octane compared to our 95.

I understood that vehicle engines have different spec to allow for conditions and the quality of fuel to which ever country they are supplied to.Are the fuels so bad in this country that Toyota cant supply these engine to run without needing major repairs after running a few thousand miles.

You cant tell me me our the fuels in this country are inferior to those in third world countries.

Its just a load of cr##.

Eh up best mate :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

From all the tinterneting I've been doing I cant find anything that suggests that there is out wrong with our fuels!!! I know that years ago when I built my house that Viessemen technical said that the boiler I wanted with the blue angle burner couldn't work in this country because the grade of red diesel wasn't upto the standard they required, but I bet that that boiler is now avaliable in the UK with it! Thats my next search!!!...

I spent 6 months in the States working (Pro musician) and saw that there octane wasn't as high as ours, which I found really strange as they are petrol heads with muscle cars! Well in LA there was anyway :wacko::lol:

So the issues with this engine sounds to me thats its something else rather than a fuel one! My search continues...:thumbsup:

What about bio-diesel content?

They're having problems because of it in offshore installations.

And every time I fill up the Disco with BP Ultimate it says "Contains up to 7% bio-diesel" but my owner's manual says not to use anything with more than 5%.

There is nothing wrong with our fuel and 2AD engines will run OK on anything available. However, supermarket fuel doesn't have the additives that branded fuel has. High grade fuel will help keep the inside of the fuel system and engine clean.

I'm getting fed up with this debate.

There is nothing wrong with our fuel and 2AD engines will run OK on anything available. However, supermarket fuel doesn't have the additives that branded fuel has. High grade fuel will help keep the inside of the fuel system and engine clean.

There was Me thinking debate was what Forums were about ? In fact I talk about completely unrelated things here sometimes just to keep things going ??

Last comment on this fuel thing...

The Dealers AND Toyota GB are both now saying that due to a design fault the 2AD Series Engine is not tolerating the lower quality fuels HERE IN THE UK. This does not indicate Daktaris car or the one Clarkson took to the north pole or any other Toyota Diesel engine......

It is what I have been told nothing more nothing less It is not My opinion it is what I have been told and in the absence of any other explanation I have little else to go on.....

One thing is for sure though.. Something is very wrong..

Don. I thought I had chosen well with the Rav.. Legendary reliability ? Err No sorry its actually the very worst car I have ever owned and I genuinely have had well over 100 cars..

Charlie.

You are not alone.

Perhaps it is the fuel, but I really can't take that seriously. It's convenient for Toyota to blame that, it deflects attention a bit.

Do you seriously believe that car makers don't test their engines during development with a whole range of different quality fuels? No. In fact there is usually a whole range of internal fuel specs they have, that they test to. That will probably include anything far worse that our so called "rubbish UK fuels". Engines sit on dynos, running for weeks at a time on this stuff (glowing red exhaust manifolds).

The engine may well have performed faultlessly during development.

More likely, it's something that once the engine is into production, some component has gone slightly out of process tolerance or a process in the assembly procedure introduces microscopic undetected damage. For the sake of argument (and only the sake of argument) oil control rings.

Now the Japs are usually second to none at keeping component parameters slap bang down the middle of the acceptable limits, but who's to say they are sourcing everything in Japan? For example, it's not unknown for components to be sourced out of the UK for use in Japan on Jap vehicles.

I suspect they are trying hard to contain whatever it is that is causing the problem and often you can need several attempts to find the root cause, because it can be masked by other variables changing at the same time (statistics and a sensible series of tests can help overcome that, but it's not a quick or simple process).

High volume manufacturing with single digit parts per million (or even parts per billion) failure or scrap rates is far from easy and while we have mathematical tools to try and detect process variation before it gets out of hand, that isn't easy either. Try doing it sometime.

I suspect they messed up a bit in production. With the best will in the world it happens. I can't scream "Toyota are rubbish" because most stuff works. There are other makes where a whole range of things go wrong on lots of vehicles. That makes you start to question their ability.

I suspect they messed up a bit in production. With the best will in the world it happens. I can't scream "Toyota are rubbish" because most stuff works. There are other makes where a whole range of things go wrong on lots of vehicles. That makes you start to question their ability.

I agree they`ve had far more success than failure but its not much comfort to owners of problematic examples. :)