Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Ohhhh Bother.. Oil Burning Again ..

CharlieFarlie

Also been on some of the VW forums and Mobil 1 Turbo diesel oil (505 00 spec) has caused the cams to wear out! even though its the correct grade (Not for long drain, 507 00) for cars like Polo's ect!!!...

Its a !Removed! nighmare with some of these sodding oils!!!!!!!!....

They were the Diesel Pump Duse or PD engines VW did two types PD and Non PD (TDi and TDi) That little red i specified the more powerful PD engine, the oil specs you mention are for non PD engines The oil spec oil for PD engines are wait for it................505.01 and the newer one 507.01 That 0.1 made the difference between knackered cams and working ones, The non PD oil would shear with the presure of pushing down the PD injector as PD engines injectors were dirven of the cam an not electric. PD oil had a higher shear rate.

pd_injector_unit.gif

Even VW did not know this??????????????? they did`nt know what oil to use in their own brand.....................Beggers belife.......Hence my dislike for dealerships..............Dumb as I dont know what. :D

I think some clever independant/enthuisiast finaly caught on to this...........it then quickly spread through the VW dealerships................Too late as Cams were half worn already...

I belive the wrong oil is still being put in to this day.....

Still the dealership knows better................... :ermm:

I think you've done the right thing and told the guy the truth! You know that your going to get another new 3/4 engine and can then sell the car with a clear conscience! and move back to the Audi's that I love...

I think its the only way to do it Tim... Whilst not being a happy bunny at least I wont be stripping some poor bugger up..

The Dealer said on the last phone call that the engines are now sealed up while the consumption test is taking place which of course is fine by Me so long as they don't moan if it blows up..

Charlie.

Cant you stich a dealership up with it by means of a part exchange?

UPDATE..

I have been very carefully monitoring the oil usage since I posted this thread, The oil I have been putting in has been measured using the very accurate measuring vessels that I have left over from My Kart racing days and My calculations show 1.175 litres of oil per 1000 miles travelled.

So I have a choice.. I can lie to those enquiring about the car.. Or go through the whole process again...

Looks like another engine some time soon then......

Charlie.

Please deny or agree with the fact that on the dip-stick, between the mark on the bottom and on the top, it is a litre?

Jozsef

I haven't been letting it go that low.. Just topping up and making a record of how much oil used to take it to bang on the top mark...From memory on the last consumption test I would say its more than a litre between the two marks.. But not sure..

Charlie.

UPDATE..

I have been very carefully monitoring the oil usage since I posted this thread, The oil I have been putting in has been measured using the very accurate measuring vessels that I have left over from My Kart racing days and My calculations show 1.175 litres of oil per 1000 miles travelled.

So I have a choice.. I can lie to those enquiring about the car.. Or go through the whole process again...

Looks like another engine some time soon then......

Charlie.

Please deny or agree with the fact that on the dip-stick, between the mark on the bottom and on the top, it is a litre?

Jozsef

I haven't been letting it go that low.. Just topping up and making a record of how much oil used to take it to bang on the top mark...From memory on the last consumption test I would say its more than a litre between the two marks.. But not sure..

Charlie.

I think you've done the right thing and told the guy the truth! You know that your going to get another new 3/4 engine and can then sell the car with a clear conscience! and move back to the Audi's that I love...

I think its the only way to do it Tim... Whilst not being a happy bunny at least I wont be stripping some poor bugger up..

The Dealer said on the last phone call that the engines are now sealed up while the consumption test is taking place which of course is fine by Me so long as they don't moan if it blows up..

Charlie.

Charlie.

2 reasons why not...

Firstly I always try to sell My cars rather than PX as it just works better on the overall swap round..

Also the Dealer will sell it on and the next Person buys a lemon... OK its a lemon with 18 months of the 7 Year extended warranty left to run.. And the remainder of warranty on all the new parts fitted. But its still a lemon..

These cars are selling for between 12 and 15K ... The PX price ??? Well lets just say it a huge amount less than that !!!

Also been on some of the VW forums and Mobil 1 Turbo diesel oil (505 00 spec) has caused the cams to wear out! even though its the correct grade (Not for long drain, 507 00) for cars like Polo's ect!!!...

Its a !Removed! nighmare with some of these sodding oils!!!!!!!!....

They were the Diesel Pump Duse or PD engines VW did two types PD and Non PD (TDi and TDi) That little red i specified the more powerful PD engine, the oil specs you mention are for non PD engines The oil spec oil for PD engines are wait for it................505.01 and the newer one 507.01 That 0.1 made the difference between knackered cams and working ones, The non PD oil would shear with the presure of pushing down the PD injector as PD engines injectors were dirven of the cam an not electric. PD oil had a higher shear rate.

pd_injector_unit.gif

Even VW did not know this??????????????? they did`nt know what oil to use in their own brand.....................Beggers belife.......Hence my dislike for dealerships..............Dumb as I dont know what. :D

I think some clever independant/enthuisiast finaly caught on to this...........it then quickly spread through the VW dealerships................Too late as Cams were half worn already...

Still the dealership knows better................... :ermm:

The long life oil for my PD (1.4 AMF engine code) engine was 507 00 spec and the normal interval drains were either the 505 or 501? I cant remember as I've use Castrol EDGE (5w-30) or now Motul 300V double ester oils. I heard that they were bringing out a new 507 01 spec but didn't know that was now here. But Motul 300V batters those specs afaik!

I understand why you dont like dealers mate! As some of the ones I've spoken to (And that VW as well as Mr T) dont know what the specs are!!! I called my dealer to ask what gear oil I needed for the T180 and they told me... A 75-90 grade!!! Which is a load of bull !Removed!! as it needs a straight 75w grade! Don told me this when I meet him in. So I put in Silkolen Pro SRG double ester racing box oil... It has to be a straight 75w as this is triple syncro box...

2 reasons why not... Firstly I always try to sell My cars rather than PX as it just works better on the overall swap round.. Also the Dealer will sell it on and the next Person buys a lemon... OK its a lemon with 18 months of the 7 Year extended warranty left to run.. And the remainder of warranty on all the new parts fitted. But its still a lemon.. These cars are selling for between 12 and 15K ... The PX price ??? Well lets just say it a huge amount less than that !!!

Yes ...good conclusion ....

http://www.parkers.co.uk/cars/prices/used/toyota/rav4/estate-2006/33666/?yearplate=81

2 reasons why not... Firstly I always try to sell My cars rather than PX as it just works better on the overall swap round.. Also the Dealer will sell it on and the next Person buys a lemon... OK its a lemon with 18 months of the 7 Year extended warranty left to run.. And the remainder of warranty on all the new parts fitted. But its still a lemon.. These cars are selling for between 12 and 15K ... The PX price ??? Well lets just say it a huge amount less than that !!!

Yes ...good conclusion ....

http://www.parkers.co.uk/cars/prices/used/toyota/rav4/estate-2006/33666/?yearplate=81

Do they get a share of oil profits or something, because when you think about it....that amount of oil equates to 10L of oil every 10K miles.??

Don't know about the manufacturers but judgiing by the price the dealers charge for the stuff compared to what you can buy it for from Halfrauds, I'd say that they're quite happy.

The long life oil for my PD (1.4 AMF engine code) engine was 507 00 spec and the normal interval drains were either the 505 or 501? I cant remember as I've use Castrol EDGE (5w-30) or now Motul 300V double ester oils. I heard that they were bringing out a new 507 01 spec but didn't know that was now here. But Motul 300V batters those specs afaik!

Hmmmm its seems the 507 00 spec is suitable for PD engines also, It used to be the case that for the PD engines, you needed the special PD oil which looked the same, in the same container and viscocity but had the .01 on it.

Im sure there is a 507.01 but not listed on the link. maybe not as the 507.00 does it all?

Maybe its to stop confusion, this 1 oil does all...

http://www.oilspecif.../volkswagen.php

"As this has been asked on several occasions I thought it would be wise to explain the background to the VW 505.01 oil and why it's so important to use it in a PD engine.

It is vitally important to use a PD oil in the PD engine due to the pump.

The VW pd engines are very severe on the oil, the mechanical fuel pump delivers fuel at approx. 25,000 psi !!!!! to enable a very precise injector spray pattern which, in turn, gives excellent driving characteristics.

The very high loads on the fuel pump will lead to VI improver shear down and oil viscosity loss if the engine is operated on lesser oils.

The surest way to shorten the life of your engine is to ignore this advice."

Hmmmm its seems the 507 00 spec is suitable for PD engines also, It used to be the case that for the PD engines, you needed the special PD oil which looked the same, in the same container and viscocity but had the .01 on it.

Im sure there is a 507.01 but not listed on the link. maybe not as the 507.00 does it all?

Maybe its to stop confusion, this 1 oil does all...

http://www.oilspecif.../volkswagen.php

"As this has been asked on several occasions I thought it would be wise to explain the background to the VW 505.01 oil and why it's so important to use it in a PD engine.

It is vitally important to use a PD oil in the PD engine due to the pump.

The VW pd engines are very severe on the oil, the mechanical fuel pump delivers fuel at approx. 25,000 psi !!!!! to enable a very precise injector spray pattern which, in turn, gives excellent driving characteristics.

The very high loads on the fuel pump will lead to VI improver shear down and oil viscosity loss if the engine is operated on lesser oils.

The surest way to shorten the life of your engine is to ignore this advice."

Afaik... The 507 00 spec is the top grade of oil for some of the VW cars. Some have to have different oils like the R8 and 4x4 but VW were working on a new 507 01 spec that superceeded the 507 00. As you've said mate the Pd engines have a very high pressure injectors so the oils had to have a high viscosity index due to this! far to many specs on these oils! its a nighmare sometimes to get the correct ones for your motor!... :eat:

VW 505.00

Passenger car diesel engine oil specification, minimum performance level CCMC PD-2. Lists viscosities SAE 5W-50, 10W-50/60, 15W-40/50, 20W-40/50 requiring 13% max. evaporation loss and SAE 5W-30/40, 10W-30/40 requiring 15% max. evaporation loss.

I wonder what the evaporation loss means on this oil spec?

were previous spec oils evaporating???

VW 505.00

Passenger car diesel engine oil specification, minimum performance level CCMC PD-2. Lists viscosities SAE 5W-50, 10W-50/60, 15W-40/50, 20W-40/50 requiring 13% max. evaporation loss and SAE 5W-30/40, 10W-30/40 requiring 15% max. evaporation loss.

I wonder what the evaporation loss means on this oil spec?

were previous spec oils evaporating???

Dunno mate! Must be to do when the oil vapour throught the breather with crank shaft gasses???