Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Ohhhh Bother.. Oil Burning Again ..

CharlieFarlie

I see Kingo popped in for a while on the thread! and then popped out again! Guess he's not gonna be drawn on this subject :crybaby:

Reading some of the negativity he's probably heading outside to check the brand above the door.

Prob have a !Removed! when he's out there an all! :lol::thumbsup:

Just google "toyota engine failures" to see what problems they are having over there.....Lexus too.

Sludge

Burning oil

Valve springs

the list is endless

To be fair in this case its Toyota petrol engines

I belive in the US a lot of manufacturers run 0w20 oil :eek: This wee thin oil going through the extremely hot Turbo is just asking for trouble :help:

But still if manufacturers pay less C02 tax who cares about the consumer and their engines :D

I see Kingo popped in for a while on the thread! and then popped out again! Guess he's not gonna be drawn on this subject :crybaby:

Reading some of the negativity he's probably heading outside to check the brand above the door.

Please trust Me when I say I am not trying to create negativity here !!

I will repeat My self again.. I do really really like this car !! Judging by price of the cars for sale on Autotrader I begged My one so even if I sell it for 2K less than the cheapest high miles one I'm still in for a healthy profit....

Toyota have been outstanding in every way in dealing with My problems with the car. I could not and would not have expected anything like this from any other Manufacturer that I have ever dealt with..

This is the first car in the last ten Years that I have bought that is more than a few months old. Every car I have bought has been either new or a month or two old. Usually Pre registered vehicles.. I am making allowances for the fact that My Rav is now almost exactly 5 1/2 Years old so I expect the odd squeaky and rattle and things to fail like batteries exhausts brakes ect ect

What I did not expect from a modern vehicle of under say 75K miles ( My car was at 40K when I bought it and is at 52.800 today) was major component failure IE Engine failure or engine needing replacement..

I absolutely applaud Toyota for Their back up and response I could not and never had received such fantastic Customer service....

BUT....

Will My next car be a Toyota ? Err Almost certainly not.. Mostly because there is currently not a car in the Rav range that has everything I need ..Or should I say want and expect at a price of course..

I will be buying an almost new car once again as its always paid Me to do this in the past so that's the way forward I think.

The SR is the only one I would go for but its lack of spare wheel carrier and no option of full leather or sunroof means it just fall short of what I want for My figure of around 30K

Sorry You don't like the thread Don and seemingly are irritated by it but I'm guilty of giving My opinion Warts and all..

We could argue forever and a day over the cause of these engine problems and still never agree but one thing is for sure.. There is a problem and despite Toyota s best efforts I'm not so sure They have found a solution.... Sadly !................... :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Charlie.

Or putting on his riot gear ;)

!! FIGHT!! :boxing::fear: :crutchy: :afro: Lol :lol:

Cant see Toyota doing any great mods to cure this problem such as producing improved parts to fit to these engines as they only have pacify (if possible) present owners at most for the seven years extended warranty, cos they are switching over to the BMW supplied engines.the 3/4 engines blocks etc they are supplying wont have been specialy designed but what they will have plenty in stock already.but they are at least they are admiting there is a problem.

Cant see Toyota doing any great mods to cure this problem such as producing improved parts to fit to these engines as they only have pacify (if possible) present owners at most for the seven years extended warranty, cos they are switching over to the BMW supplied engines.the 3/4 engines blocks etc they are supplying wont have been specialy designed but what they will have plenty in stock already.but they are at least they are admiting there is a problem.

Jumping out of the pan into the fire ? Bmw diesels are well know for their problems

low_sulphur.jpg

Can you get ULSD (ultra low sulphur diesel) or LSD (low sulphur diesel) at Tesco, ASDA, Morrisons, Gleaner, Scottish Fuel etc... or just at Shell, BP, AGIP, ESSO etc... which are good brands?

Jozsef

Sainsburys City Diesel :thumbsup:

"In 2004 Sainsbury’s struck a deal with BP and it is believed they now supply all of Sainsbury’s fuel.

Sainsbury’s are committed to offering cleaner fuel. In 1998 they started selling City Petrol, a cleaner, low-emission unleaded-petrol with a reward points incentive to customers who purchased it. In 2001 Sainsbury’s started a partnership with British Gas to provide LPG on supermarket forecourts. AutoGas is both a cleaner and cheaper alternative to petrol or diesel as a road fuel."

I will be buying an almost new car once again as its always paid Me to do this in the past so that's the way forward I think.

The SR is the only one I would go for but its lack of spare wheel carrier and no option of full leather or sunroof means it just fall short of what I want for My figure of around 30K

I have to agree with you that going for Nearly New (to me, that means under a year old) and then selling once the Warranty period is nearly up is a sensible way to go and this is what I personally have done for the last few cars.

With regards to the SR and the missing features, I would make these comments:

1) No Spare Wheel - If there was the option of the spare wheel - mounted on the rear door or even under the floor, then I would opt for that, but the fact there is not does not worry me too much as the chance of having a puncture nowadays is actually pretty rare I reckon. I last had one in 2002 and before some time in the mid 1980's when I used to have to buy used tyres to save running costs :!Removed!:. If I were regularly driving in remote areas, or had the Toyota BSR System where the ability to get a flat fixed was so random, then I may well think differently, I would say.

2) No Full Leather - Obviously a personal preference, but I have to say I like the Leather/Alcantra Seats in the SR and prefer them to the Full Leather I had in my Qashqai. Just suggesting don't discount them before you try them (and if you have already tried them, fair enough :yes: )

3) No Sunroof - Now, again a personal thing, but .... a Sunroof that OPENS is, IMO, an anathema nowadays in a car with Climate Control and I see no point personally. A Fixed Glass Roof that lets in light ... Now that is a whole different Barrel of Monkeys :thumbsup:. When I changed from the Qashqai with a full length glass roof to the RAV4 with its quite dark cabin, I did (and do) miss the sense of openess that the glass roof gave. Being able to look up when driving through the mountain roads and valleys of Austria and Switzerland and see the full sights and scenery was fantastic and the nearest thing to driving a convertible.

What car to replace the T180 with? well, who knows, but make sure it is a car that you like and enjoy and remember a major part of the car is the after-sales service. As you said yourself, the service from Toyota has been second to none and if (when?) you get a problem with your new choice, will you be able to be sure of the same quality of care?

Going back to the first thing, as I mentioned, I like you have tended to go nearly new and sell when Warranty is nearly up - My RAV4.2 I bought at 11 months and sold just before 5 years old (and expiry of the Extended Warranty); I replaced it with a Nissan Qashqai Tekna which was nearly new (3 days old and 14 miles on the clock) and intended to keep until just shy of 5 years again, but sold after 18 months and 20,000 miles; and not because there was anything wrong with the car itself - I never had any problems (the only issue I ever had was the radio lost its code when in Italy and a text to the dealer got me sorted out the next day) and I drove it on a pan-European roadtrip, doing 4,000 miles in 10 days in comfort and with economy. No, the reason I sold the car was that it just did not excite and interest me in the way that I want a car to and because of that the limitations it had (lack of power and so-so road dynamics) started to become more and more of an issue purely because I let them as I was bored with what was a totally competent vehicle - tens of thousands of Qashqai owners love their cars but I guess they want something they can get in at A, drive to B, get out and forgot how they got there!

So after 18 months, back in a RAV4 as I enjoyed the old one so much and am accepting things like the lack of a glass roof as I know the choice of any car is bound to be a compromise in some areas, and I know from previous experience of being a RAV4 and a Celica GT4 owner what to expect from Toyota products and Toyota Service.

And a nearly new RAV4 SR would give you the after-sales you have applauded - and may find lacking in another marque possibly - and a car that you find you do like, though with some limitations you identified that if you think about it are maybe not so limiting after all compared to other factors to consider? Of course, if they ARE really significant limitations, then it is best to stay away as you will end up being dissatisfied early on - like me with my Qashqai and I think Don with his KIA .

The Merecdes ML would be a cracking alternative, but getting the right spec nearly new for £30k :wacko:

Mate for Me none of the things Ive picked out would be the absolute deal breaker on a car but all of them ??

Sunroof.. I just like them . Are the necessary ? No but I think it opens up the cabin and gives the car a nice airy feel Its not a case of trying to cool the cabin in hot weather more just the feel of having the roof open. On a 30K car I feel the option should at least be available..

Full Leather.. Again no major issue but again something I really like .. Nothing wrong with alcantara But I would like the choice ..

Spare wheel.. Sorry but not at least having a space saver is simply not on.. We that is the Wife and I often leave home at 5am in order to get past that Edinburgh and beyond before the traffic builds.. If I were to have a puncture half way across the A701 Early doors with a disabled Wife sat in the car I'm in serious trouble.. I do of course carry a spare wheel in the car but this means having the rear seats full of bags and kit which is not something I prefer to do. I like all the gear out of sight in the boot which of course is occupied by the spare wheel...

Fussy ? Well when I bought the Rav it was a bit of a compromise and I was offered the car at a real knock down price and in honesty never really expected to keep it for long anyway..

But now I'm looking at spending a heap more dollar Circa 32K for a car that Im away to see on Friday. So it must have everything I want in a car and fill Me with confidence.. I have had several of these cars in past Years and never had any issues..

Your car is in My opinion the nicest Rav on the Forum.. And if it had everything I want I might take a punt on the squeaks and rattles issue ( I would be returning the car till they got it right anyway) But they don't so I wont..

Charlie.

Charlie, fully respect where you are coming from :thumbsup:

And we clearly know the basic RAV4 design WILL support a rear mounted Spare Wheel and WILL support a Sunroof IF Toyota wanted to keep them as at least an option, so it IS frustrating for sure.

Good luck on your viewing. I'll be interested to see what you are looking at once you have decided on the right chariot :yes:

Sunroofs to far back Mate.... And it wont be a BMW.. I have had several of them mind and never had any problems whatsoever... :thumbsup:

Sunroofs to far back Mate.... And it wont be a BMW.. I have had several of them mind and never had any problems whatsoever... :thumbsup:

I thought you would appreciate the optional roof mount ;)

I'm hopeless with secrets .....

http://www.autotrade...age/4?logcode=p

Looks nice :yes:. Give you the security of the AWD system on the roads and I would think also do just about everything your Jag will do as well :thumbsup:

I did read one review ..."The one area that I would say is a weakness is that it does have a tendency to need regular oil top-ups" ;)

Very nice.

Check it for comfort though. Those low profile tyres and the position of the pedals are known to be a pain to some drivers.

If it feels good, then go for it.

I did miss the more upright sitting position when I moved from the T180 to the BMW. See if that's an issue.

What you doing with the Jag?

Very nice.

Check it for comfort though. Those low profile tyres and the position of the pedals are known to be a pain to some drivers.

If it feels good, then go for it.

I did miss the more upright sitting position when I moved from the T180 to the BMW. See if that's an issue.

What you doing with the Jag?

I've had four A6s 2 SEs and two S lines one a LeMans.. I preferred the S line ride to the SE which is a bot wallowy..

Dunno about the Jag just yet. My Nieces Husband wants it but wants it for nothing ... If the Jag was 4WD it would be perfect and in light of the Wife no longer driving would be the only car on the drive....

Seating position and height is not that dissimilar to the Jag and I expect it to feel just like the last one I had so no real surprises there I guess .. We have to discuss the trade in price of the Rav in the morning but unless its really stupid I will be off Friday to take a close look...

Charlie.

I thought you would appreciate the optional roof mount ;)

Yeh Its very nice Mate !! Be great for when I go shooting !! The ultimate shooting accessory ?? :unsure: :unsure: :unsure:

Vag group car, can't go wrong with them, if the dealer can't fix it. There are some very good indis around. AMD is one no doubt you will be visiting them at some point.

As for hoovies comment on the oil topups, most cars using 5w/30 oils burn it. Well documented on vw forums, most up the grade to solve problem.

Blame the goverment lol!

A6 it is then Charlie, Simply Stunning in white. Was watching a German motoring programme the other day and it did a feature on the A6 Hybrid (which of course is the TSI + electric) the interior was sumptious (?). Anyway if you like it get it!!! but make sure you don,t leave the Forum and go on these Audi sites.

Regards, an envious Clare

A6 it is then Charlie, Simply Stunning in white. Was watching a German motoring programme the other day and it did a feature on the A6 Hybrid (which of course is the TSI + electric) the interior was sumptious (?). Anyway if you like it get it!!! but make sure you don,t leave the Forum and go on these Audi sites.

Regards, an envious Clare

Clare I used to be Member on a few of the Audi sites. Well still am but they are a different breed to this Forum.. But as here they are a great place to get and give info .. I like this Forum so will stick around. It really is a shame to be parting with the Rav but I think its time to move on and to be honest I cant be ar$ed going through the whole process again especially as there is no guarantee it will work if I do..

Charlie.

Stunning car Charlie :drool: and enuff toys to keep you occupied for quite a while, Good Luck whatever you decide to do :thumbsup: Stew

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links