Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Spyder Is Very Skitish On The Road!

Emma Willum-Nielsen

Hi All

I am new to this club so hello! :-)

I have recently purchased an MR2 Spyder, 1.8 2000 reg.

Whilst everything else is perfectly sound it does not handle at all as it should.....

It reacts to every little groove and bump in the road and is dangerously light on the steering at high speeds. I have had the tracking on the front wheels adjusted and tyre pressure are all spot on. There has been no obvious knocks or damage to it so the only other thing I could think of was a 4 wheel alignment check, but there is nothing at the back to adjust it with..

I want to have fun in this car but this is really holding me back :-(

Help!

Em

x

Hi Em,

Welcome to the forum! :)

I'm afraid I cannot suggest anything as you've covered the obvious, which is all my basic knowledge covers :$ The only question I would ask is are the alloys/wheels standard sizes?

Just wanted to welcome you to the club and that I hope you get it sorted so you can have some fun in your MR2. I loved mine and can honestly say that its the best handling, and easiest car I've ever driven and owned :)

Carl

Thanks Carl :-)

Yes the wheels and tyres are all standard..

It's just really weird :-/

Taking it to tyre land tomorrow to get a complete test done on it.

It's annoying as I was really looking forwards to hacking it around with it's "superb handling"... if I cant get it sorted I'll just have to put up with it.

On the plus side it really does keep me constantly focused and I am shaking when I get out of it! lol So it is fun, I just dont feel I will ever get the best out of it unless I can get it sorted.

Thanks for taking the time to reply anyway :-)

Hi Em,

Your welcome, I just wish I could be of more help. In addition to ormis note above, I know that having different tyres on each corner can affect handling, and its best to have matched tyres :)

I hope the people at tyre land managed to sort it today any way :)

Carl

• 1 month later...

I would check the chamber of the wheels as if it is a cat C it may be out also the tracking. I would also drop the pressure in the rear tyres to 30PSI as the 32 Toyota recommend is a little too high (IMO and that of a Pirelli engineer I deal with he said 28PSI)

• 4 weeks later...

I don't know if you've managed to sort this yet but maybe take a look at the condition of the drop links that are connected to the anti roll bars, both front and rear, also the anti roll bar bushes, they are a bit of a notorious MOT failure item and many owners upgrade them to more beefier items. The other think to check would be the steering track rod ends?

• 1 month later...

Hi Emma.

Your MR2 problems are identical to mine.

I have a 2002 model with low miles (45K) - a beautiful little thing.

But Gawd does she handle badly!!

Skipping over any little lump in the road and very unpredicatable at speed.

I know everyone says 'you need matching tyres front and back' but if my wife's MX5 can run circles around the MR2 with four different tyres on, then there must be something wrong.

A design fault that can't be fixed? Oh please no!

It's a real shame because the Roadster (Spyder) is a lovely looking little beast which in my opinion still looks better than many more modern cars.

The only time I enjoy driving it is when the top's down and I'm just cruising. High speed handling simply does not inspire confidence.

I can't afford to replace the tyres yet - and would'nt want to as they are all in perfect condition so I think I'll have a search around the drop links and anti- roll bars and also maybe play with pressures to try and improve the situation.

Anyone with possible solutions that don't involve replacing perfectly good tyres - please post.

Cheers

Tyres and drop links are critical on the MR2, always have been since the introduction of the model way back when!

You need to keep your eye on them too, as when they do start to wear down, you will need to change them well before the legal limit, in fact, I would be changing them at about 2.5 mm or even sooner if you can afford it. GOOD QUALITY branded tyres are a must, nothing cheap and cheerful

Kingo :thumbsup:

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links