Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Toyota's Stop/start System

Adam C

As the title & description state, I am wondering how long usually does the Stop/Start switch the engine off for? I've always wanted to drive a Yaris with the 1.33 engine (mk 2 as the mk 3 doesn't have Stop/Start) but cannot part company with my current 1.3, I love it too much.

Another reason for my query; I've been in a friend's Audi A1 TDI which has Stop/Start. In that car, the system kills the engine for just one minute . . surely it should be longer? I don't know. I usually turn my engine off when I know I'm gonna be stationery for a fair while - often either side of a minute, though for short pauses, no doubt Stop/Start will step in on a 1.33.

What are your thoughts peeps? And on the above Audi, the air-con was off.

As the title & description state, I am wondering how long usually does the Stop/Start switch the engine off for? I've always wanted to drive a Yaris with the 1.33 engine (mk 2 as the mk 3 doesn't have Stop/Start) but cannot part company with my current 1.3, I love it too much.

Another reason for my query; I've been in a friend's Audi A1 TDI which has Stop/Start. In that car, the system kills the engine for just one minute . . surely it should be longer? I don't know. I usually turn my engine off when I know I'm gonna be stationery for a fair while - often either side of a minute, though for short pauses, no doubt Stop/Start will step in on a 1.33.

What are your thoughts peeps? And on the above Audi, the air-con was off.

When I had a Yaris (From main dealer as my T-180 was in for work) the stop/start system works when you are stopped say at trafic lights ect! When you put your foot on the clutch it starts again as far as I remember! So it depends on how long you are waiting! I hated it tbh.... Just wonder how many starter motors/ring and batteries its gonna get through 5 years down the line :angry:

It depends on a number of factors, aircon on , charge in the Battery, engine temp etc etc. Never actually tested the maximum time I have had it off ( excuse the expression) but definitely longer than a minute.

Hi The stop start on my 60 plate /1.33 TR works intermiantly some times even when it should be switching off !! I have had it stopped for well over 5 minutes at roadworks and motorway hold-ups. The starter-motor & Battery are heavy duty so I dont think that should be a problem plus it has a 5 year warrenty

I persoally like the stop/start facilly on my even if it is a little unpredctable

Hi I have stop start on my 1.33 t spirit.I have had the car for a year now and I am about to book a first service.My problem is that the stop start is extremely unpredictable .It can go on holiday for a month at a time and then just when I have forgotten that the car even has stop start it will start working again for a few days before going into hibernation again.The problem is I have no idea if this is normal or not.I do a lot of short journeys but even after a long journey of say 50 miles there is still no guarantee it will work.The stop start has even worked on occasions at temperatures of 1 or 2 degrees.Can anybody share their experiences with this system please as I am not sure wether to mention it to the dealer or not

I don't see any harm in mentioning it to the dealer Jetset. I drive the same journey a couple of times a week. It's about 5 miles city then 40 miles dual carriageway the 5 miles city again, then back again the next day, then the car will have been unused for a few days before the next trip. I can pretty much predict that it'll not stop/start for the first mile or two then it'll mostly do it from then on. If you're on trips of less than a few miles then maybe it's not getting a chance to heat up or charge up or whatever it does... Or maybe they can do a healthcheck on the Battery.

It's rare to get a chance to test how long it'll stop for except in a real jam situation but I'm sure on the motorway I've had it for upwards of 5 mins. I think I'd be surprised if mine managed 10 mins.

One thing I've noticed with mine is if you're creeping forward, say at a roundabout, and you haven't fully lifted off the clutch and driven a few metres off the clutch while creeping forward it'll not stop regardless of whether it's capable of doing so or not.

I know there's lots of conditions involved in the computer working out whether it's going to stop or not and I don't know what they all are so I just put my trust in mine and it seems to work. I wouldn't lose too much sleep if mine stopped stopping, what really scares me is if it stops starting!

I've also seen mine stop/start with the ouside temp guage reading -1. I'm presuming if there is a condition about minimum temprature then it's using a different thermometer to the one supplying the dashboard.

Mine's coming up to 3 years old now and I keep meaning to check the "total time time switched off" reading. Last time I did that though, when it a few months old, I zeroed it by accident and I was gutted, so I tend not to mess any more. Must check.

Hope this helps,

Mick

... Just wonder how many starter motors/ring and batteries its gonna get through 5 years down the line :angry:

It is not like a conventional starter system, the starter is running on the ring gear full time, so when it stops, the starter does not have to "engage" like a traditional starter. There are many factors to it working correctly, it does not work if the climate is too cold, A/C is on, or if (as in most people who say it doesnt work) ever so slightly touch the clutch pedal when stationary. I have not seen any excessive problems with the system

Kingo :thumbsup:

Apologies to Adam c for hijacking your original post.Thanks for advice .I have booked in car at dealer next week for 1st service and to look at stop start system so it will be interesting to hear what they say about it

I have found the stop start very good. Its all about not thinking about it and letting it sort itself out. Obviously it depends on the state of the Battery charge, the gas temp in the cooler pack and how many times it has stopped. Opening the car drivers door or bonnet also disables the next auto start for safety reasons.

If you cant get the hang of it just press the" eco off" button,

Yaris had 1st service today at Romford Toyota.Technician said there was a problem with the Battery and they have replaced it under warranty along with a voltage sensor so hopefully stop/start will improve now

... Just wonder how many starter motors/ring and batteries its gonna get through 5 years down the line :angry:

It is not like a conventional starter system, the starter is running on the ring gear full time, so when it stops, the starter does not have to "engage" like a traditional starter. There are many factors to it working correctly, it does not work if the climate is too cold, A/C is on, or if (as in most people who say it doesnt work) ever so slightly touch the clutch pedal when stationary. I have not seen any excessive problems with the system

Kingo :thumbsup:

Nice one mate! Thanks for clearing that point up for me :) :)

No harm done there jetsetjunta, if the info is there, it's always worthwhile. Makes me feel better that my query has answered others'. And thank you to everyone here for your feedback.

Hopefully in the coming months I will be able to run a Yaris 1.33 alongside my current 1.3 as I look to complete my driving instructor training, with a Yaris number one choice of wheels. My instructor mate who I'll be working with runs a Suzuki Swift which has a similar layout of many of the controls and the buttons all look similar in style and function, though I'd much prefer the Yaris.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links