Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Sr180 37Mpg!

RichC

I should finish my hijacking of this thread by posting my honest opinions of the SR180.

Mine has been 100% reliable. It starts everytime and drives as it should, and although MPG figures have been lower than expected, it is a 2.2 engine with 177 bhp and 400nm of torque, so its a capable car.

The tyres from the factory are noisy and poor on grip, but wear very well (my rears are still going strong with 33k on the clock). The CD/Radio is poor. It works well, but it has poor volume output and needs to be turned up very high to be heard over the tyres.

Its no sports car, but in a straight line it will surprise some bigger cars, and often show them up from a rolling start.

Its spacious and comfortable, and although the interior isn't to everyones taste, its reasonably well equipped.

I don't regret buying mine, and I will be sad to see it go (if I do change it) but it's proving costly to run now i have a family to support, and providing for them will always come before my choice of car.

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Daveyonthemove

• Auris sr 180

• Mistermena

• cabcurtains

Currently negotiating a deal on a Fabia vRS again. When I owned one 2 years ago, it was reliable, quick and excellent on fuel. My wife is looking to sell her car and wants to share mine. I'm not convinced my Auris is going to be cheap enough to use for her daily commute across town, so we want something more frugal, cheaper to own and tuneable. Experience tells me that the Fabia is a very good car for the money, and meets all of our needs.

The Fabia vRS are only petrol now aren`t they ?

Funny, my mate has a new one, really rates it 7 speed DSG fast with 40MPG, only the minor issue of 2 new engines in 20k, now putting a litre of oil every 1000 miles in engine 3, got compo for wrecking the block paving on the drive after engine 2. Not a unique case.

The old and soot and surge cars are better, only the emissions police taking the fun away stopped it.

Thats worse than the Toyota 2.2 engine!!

I wasn't aware that they are that unreliable, I will let my mate know as I found out today that he bought one this weekend (by chance he parked next to me at the supermarket and we bumped into each other).

I prefer a derv engine anyway... Torque is what you want when you need to get somewhere swiftly ;)

Worse than a Toyota 2.2. How do you work that one out.

2 new engines in under 20k! I've read many posts on here regarding an engine replacement on the 2.2, but never heard of one being changed before 20k, let alone 2 being changed on the same car in that time.

I would say that is worse.

Its probably the biggest let down on this car IMO, and the main reason I am negotiating a trade in on my current SR180.

I'm going to miss the car, but I will be happier in the replacement (if I get a good deal).

Good luck Dave but when we traded in the T180 we struggled to get a decent price as all the dealers said the same thing as we do (people don't want them because of the poor MPG) and in the end we managed to get an half decent price but still lost £3k for 2 years ownership were as on the CRZ we lost £700 for 9months ownership and both cars where bought and traded in at main dealers.

The deal is off.

Looks like it has lost £3-3.5k in 14 months,which is shocking, so there is zero equity to negotiate with, and the bank balance is bare.

Looks like i'm stuck with it for a bit longer :(

The deal is off.

Looks like it has lost £3-3.5k in 14 months,which is shocking, so there is zero equity to negotiate with, and the bank balance is bare.

Looks like i'm stuck with it for a bit longer :(

Shop around Dave, when we traded the CRZ in one Honda dealer wanted us to give them the CRZ and £2k to pay the finance off where as another Honda dealer paid the finance off and gave us £1k back. If the car is on finance (not bank loan) you always have the VT option which it did look like we would have to use on the T180 due to prices being offered and when we did trade this in the price we got was nearly 3K more than some garages offered for it. We did loose a lot on the T180 but to be fair we was happy with what we got in the end and was more than happy with what we lost on the CRZ as to be honest all cars depreciate with age and mileage.

To be honest, I'm going overseas in June for a 4 month spell, so I can look to sort it when I get back and have a bit of spare cash under the matress.

As much as I would like to change, the Auris isn't that bad and I can live with it for a bit longer, plus I just had a very good deal on a Tunit box, so hopefully the MPG will improve again.

The biggest cost of running a car thats under 6yrs old is still depreciation, you just dont feel the pain in the same way as buying fuel as you dont see the cash leaving your pocket. The £1500+ you loose driving off the pitch requires a long time to get back by having a more economical car. There are exceptions and sell private buy private is best value, but not everyone can do this, and no vehicle is immune from depreciation.

12,000 miles at 30MPG - 400 Gallons@ £6 = £2400

12,000 miles at 35MPG - 350 Gallons@ £6 = £2100

12,000 miles at 40MPG - 300 Gallons@ £6 = £1800

SR180 PX Values on Parkers

£6475 - 08 - Retail £8200

- Auris is loosing £1200 per year in depreciation

£7640 - 09 - Retail £9400

Good post Cabcurtains.

We all know that cars depreciate, but I was shocked how much mine has lost, especially considering its condition.

I still enjoy the car, and i'm sure I will enjoy it even more if the Tunit box is as good as Mistermena tells me :)

Good post Cabcurtains.

We all know that cars depreciate, but I was shocked how much mine has lost, especially considering its condition.

I still enjoy the car, and i'm sure I will enjoy it even more if the Tunit box is as good as Mistermena tells me :)

If you like it keep it, its very easy to get paranoid with all the forum negativity :)

Don't worry, I have no problem with forum paranoia.

If my HG goes, he engine gets replaced free of charge. To me that is nothing to worry about. I hardly use my car as it is, so its not an inconvenience to me. If it wasn't for the MPG I wouldn't be thinking of changing it.

The MPG has dropped dramatically since I sold my Kingo tuning box, so I hope to see an improvement again with a Tunit fitted, and things will be rosie again.

• 3 weeks later...

HI there

Final update:

I've had the car for just over 6 weeks now. Driving to work (90% motorway speeds) is giving me about 47mpg, although the onboard computer only shows 43mpg as an average!

Result!

Thats good news. These engines can achieve mid 40's or more, but only if the journeys are quite long. Any town driving will make it plummet.

Good post Cabcurtains.

How's that Tunit box going mate? Have you seen any results from it yet?... I've been reading a lot about 2T in the derv and bought that one you suggested from Wilko's! £2.88 is a right bargin in my eyes. Going to put some in when I next fill the car and also try it in my Polo TDi... Looking forward to a smoother engine and maybe more mpg :eat::drunk:

Tunit box wasn't suitable, so I relisted it on eBay and doubled my money.

Not found an alternative yet. Engine is running well on 2 stroke right now, so i'm happy for the time being.

:D Good that you managed to double your money! You seen anymore Tunit's for sale? I'll have to take a look see now on Fleabay as my mate wants one now that he's driven my car with it bolted on :eat::fireman:

No, not looked since I sold that one on. I'm tempted with one of the italian digital boxes as they have 100% feedback and are reasonably cheap, but the sensible side of me knows that you get what you pay for, but the stingy side of me doesn't want to part with much cash.

After much reading of forum info, web research & listening to other people's experiences I've plumped for a tuning box from TDI-tuning in Essex. It has a 3 yr warranty, a 14 day money-back guarantee offer & has adjustbility built in. Although it suggests power & torque improvements, it's really the extra MPG potential I'm after. From the weekday commute, I'll happily have it set to the 'eco' setting & maybe try the extra shove occasionally at the w/end. So I shouldn't have to worry about trashing the DMF or the DPF - especially as it's designed to work with them. If I can achieve a real world improvement of say 4-5 MPG better than w/out it, then that's job done.

I should get it in the post tomorrow & be able to fit it soon after. I'll take it to a dyno tester just to see what the figs come out at & report back here with the results (including the MPG after a week or two).

Hoorah mines today (01/03) gone back to the finance company. Excerised my right to voluntary terminate my agreement never been so happy too see the back of this car it was everything Toyota said it wasn't. Absolutely terrible and by far my worst decision I've ever made.

Going to run a shed for the next 12 months and consider a Scirocco DSG/335d.

Good luck with VAG, I'm sure their track record of DPF failures won't affect you.

Sell £18k Auris, look at £25k+ Scirroco, or even a £40k+ 335d, why stop there, Audi Q7 V12 is only £100k laugh.pngwink.png

Picked up a Altea 2.0tdi for taking mrs and kid out 140bhp version wow real drive ability cracking engine 54mpg..

That's VAG TDI's for you - just watch out for the failed oil pump routine . . . . . .