Do Not Sell My Personal Information

What Rav Diesel Era Is The Best?

Molnboman

Hiya Lads and Lassies

Havinga had a wee think about it, I reckon medium to long term I will need to think about a diesel Rav. I love the simlicity of the Rav.2 petrol but I think it is a wee bit unrefined, noisey and a bit too thirsty for my pocket. Saying that, I love the low maintainence aspect compared to diesels and engines with changable cam belts!

In your opinion is the RAV.3 diesel a better option in terms of quieter cabin experience and better to drive than the RAV.2 petrol? I understand from the likes of Charlie's posting that the Rav.4 diesel appears problematic ....to say the least! Does the RAV 4.3 have a more reliable diesel engine than the RAV4.4? Sorry for all the questions but I have never driven a diesel RAV of any model type. I understood the RAV4.2 diesel ( my personal favourite looker because of the bonnet sccop....sad! ) was a noisey beast and I imagine couldn't be any quieter or refined than my petrol one!

Bottom line which Rav will take me from IKEA land to South of France in the most comfort matched with the best fuel economy / realibility!

Thanks in advance and have a great weekend.

Allan

Allan. The engine in the 4.3 is a very quiet smooth and economical engine.. When fitted with a lindop tuning box this increases the power and offers a very competent package indeed..

I think if You can go post 2009 and buy one of the 150 BHP variants it should be a very good car..

It as always is dependant on budget. and a consideration has to be the new model looming sometime soon.. So If You were to buy a very late car its residuals will take a big kicking when the new car arrives..

IMHO. The Diesel cars are just so much nicer to drive. The low down torque combined with the decent economy gives a very good package.. The Petrols are by comparison noisy and very thirsty.

Of course I cant recommend a 2AD engine simply because of the frustrating time I have spent with the one I have... Though taking its issues aside its a very good engine.. I guess its how lucky You feel ..............

Charlie.

When i first got into Rav4's i loved them,i had a 51 reg petrol,black 3dr...it looked superb.

I then went for a 3dr D4D land cruiser colorado,that lasted me about 6 weeks ! !.

I then bought my current blue 4.2,which IS very very comfy to drive indeed,the armrest in perfect height,the power & torque are indeed lovely.

It is quiet & refined,a pleasure to drive........but

I'm afraid due to DMF....,SCV,VSV,EGR valves all going wrong in the space of last 2-3 years.....i would rather a petrol.

I dont think i've ever spent as much money on maintenance as i have on this vehicle.....and as i can't afford another vehicle as the moment....i'm stuck with it.

Will be changing my signature below shortly....my rav4 is no longer ' my lovely rav4 '....sorry.

Hej Charlie

Thanks for the reply. Again, I am really sorry to hear the hassle you continue to get from your motor!....I would be looking at buying something around this buying level. You don't get too many trim levels up here...so won't be confusing. Don't know if I could push to a post 2009'er!....I was thinking aroud this age/price point. http://www.bytbil.com/bilar/toyota/rav4/dvduazag/g0QBUDIAAY8Qv0QAnhwA!

I guess the enxt move is to check one out.

I want to try and buy an oil burner without trading or selling both my current cars. I guess....I need to do my sums!

Cheers

A

When i first got into Rav4's i loved them,i had a 51 reg petrol,black 3dr...it looked superb.

I then went for a 3dr D4D land cruiser colorado,that lasted me about 6 weeks ! !.

I then bought my current blue 4.2,which IS very very comfy to drive indeed,the armrest in perfect height,the power & torque are indeed lovely.

It is quiet & refined,a pleasure to drive........but

I'm afraid due to DMF....,SCV,VSV,EGR valves all going wrong in the space of last 2-3 years.....i would rather a petrol.

I dont think i've ever spent as much money on maintenance as i have on this vehicle.....and as i can't afford another vehicle as the moment....i'm stuck with it.

Will be changing my signature below shortly....my rav4 is no longer ' my lovely rav4 '....sorry.

You see.....this is exactly why I bought a petrol in the first place!....I have honestly spent close to 4 and half grand fixing my Zafira 1.9cdti which I have owned from new.....due to all the hassle with the DMF, clutch...egr valve etc......and that really put me off buying another oil burner. However, since I bought my Rav in October.....it hasn't put a foot wrong apart from the Battery going flat which could happen to any car.....only the fuel consumption has shocked me quite a bit. It does seem a bit noisey on the road, however, that could be the studded winter tyres that are adding to the cabin volume!.....I just thought the earlier diesel engines on the 4.3 had been more reliable than the latest models.....however, if that's not the case, it will be back to the drawing board for me! :-(

Hiya Lads and Lassies

Havinga had a wee think about it, I reckon medium to long term I will need to think about a diesel Rav. I love the simlicity of the Rav.2 petrol but I think it is a wee bit unrefined, noisey and a bit too thirsty for my pocket. Saying that, I love the low maintainence aspect compared to diesels and engines with changable cam belts!

In your opinion is the RAV.3 diesel a better option in terms of quieter cabin experience and better to drive than the RAV.2 petrol? I understand from the likes of Charlie's posting that the Rav.4 diesel appears problematic ....to say the least! Does the RAV 4.3 have a more reliable diesel engine than the RAV4.4? Sorry for all the questions but I have never driven a diesel RAV of any model type. I understood the RAV4.2 diesel ( my personal favourite looker because of the bonnet sccop....sad! ) was a noisey beast and I imagine couldn't be any quieter or refined than my petrol one!

Bottom line which Rav will take me from IKEA land to South of France in the most comfort matched with the best fuel economy / realibility!

Thanks in advance and have a great weekend.

Allan

Hi Allan,

I had a 55-reg 4.2 D4D Granite in Astral Black for about 6 months and 12K miles. I bought it used frrm Mr.T with about 25K miles up. Never had any issues with it. Mostly m-way commuting, about 100 miles a day all together plus SDP stuff at w/e's. It was comfy, reliable & economical. Traded it in for a new LC4.

Currently we have two petrol RAV's, one is 02-reg and owned from new - bought it as a parallel from a French Toyota dealer when we moved back from Paris. Apart from a total *****-up by a TGB dealer a couple of years ago, it had to have a new cat and it broke the aux drive belt about a year ago. However, apart from these two items, it has been totally reliable & has only needed servicing & consumables. The other 54-reg is a 3-dr approved used from Mr.T last May with only 27K miles up and it has covered 12K since then, again only with servicing. Boths are autos and consequently the fuel consumption isn't brilliant but I find that the lack of other costs such as Rambler has mentioned above on his diesel rather makes up for the fuel costs. Also I find the engine & auto box combination on these cars is excellent; they're certainly more relaxing to drive than the diesel was.

I can't comment on the 4.3's as I have intentionally avoided them because I think their styling is cr*p compared to the 4.2. Yes, I know that they have a bit more interior space and the 4WD is cleverer but I couldn't look at one every morning in the drive. Just a personal thing.

In summary then the 4.2 VVTi auto is our choice. Hopefully the 4.4, when it finally arrives, will demonstrate a return to the RAV's 4x4 roots, styling-wise, at least.

Allan.. So long as You as Im sure You do. Go into buying a Rav as in Your link with Your eyes well and truly open and can accept that problems are likely to occur then go for it !!

I on the other hand would advise against it in all honesty.......

The petrol is and never will be a prospect for Me.. In honesty the noisy and un economical drive makes one an absolute non starter,

The 4.3 with its current engine excepting the 150 BHP engine is a gamble.. Its a case of whether You are prepared to take that gamble.. As time goes by and the extended warranty period elapses that gamble becomes Well more of a gamble . And clued up buyers will think twice about buying a car with that shrinking warranty period ..

Charlie.

Wow so many opinions.....and thanks for all the views.....Pffff do you remember when buying a car used to be fun!.....It's starting to depress me and I haven't been to a showroom yet! hahahahaa

Of course it is a gamble wether it's barand new car off the showroom forecourt or second hand buy from a punter!.....Cars are such a pricey hobby up here....I want to try and get it right. In terms of my petrol 4.2.....I still have 9 months warranty on it from the dealer and they appear to hold their price really well....even though I have a strong feeling it's wee bit of hype.....in any case I can't afford to buy new until 2013 latest....so no peace of mind in that regard....but it would be nice to get a half decent second car the ticks all the boxes for Team Molnboman! ...Cheers

I would say 4.2 Rav 2004/2005 mines been bullet proof and has been through the wars..................but then I have no experience of the others.....................It will take you too the moon and back, a tad noisy, but quiten downs when warm.................Fuel economy not too bad for a 4x4 115BHP but then the 4.3 T180 returns the same....and you got more power......

O and you can run a 4.2 on the crapest fuel available and it wont throw its dummy out of the pram....

Well i may be unique on here, in that I've had a 4.1 petrol (no diesel option then) kept it almost 5yrs not ONE single fault' bought 4.2 diesel kept it nearly 5yrs not ONE sinlgle fault, (my brother owns it now, and is to be passed on to his daughter, the car is just 10 yrs old and has had a dmf + scv,s replaced and a Battery, My current 4.3 xt4 diesel is 4 yrs old and has not had one single fault, (flat Battery once) and yes its had a new engine fitted, but more of a precaution than anything else, so in a total of 13yrs of rav ownership i have never broke down, never replaced so much as a lightbulb (apart from upgrading headlight bulbs) and they have not cost me a single penny above servicing costs and chosen accessories, and i know Charlie is on a downer with his currently, but has it actually let him down, and has it cost him anything other than things he chose to do hiself, (like replace clutch) and runflats, So maybe they are not too bad after all..

and my choice would be the 4.2 Diesel, possibly chipped for a tad more power. :thumbsup: Stew

Well i may be unique on here, in that I've had a 4.1 petrol (no diesel option then) kept it almost 5yrs not ONE single fault' bought 4.2 diesel kept it nearly 5yrs not ONE sinlgle fault, (my brother owns it now, and is to be passed on to his daughter, the car is just 10 yrs old and has had a dmf + scv,s replaced and a Battery, My current 4.3 xt4 diesel is 4 yrs old and has not had one single fault, (flat Battery once) and yes its had a new engine fitted, but more of a precaution than anything else, so in a total of 13yrs of rav ownership i have never broke down, never replaced so much as a lightbulb (apart from upgrading headlight bulbs) and they have not cost me a single penny above servicing costs and chosen accessories, and i know Charlie is on a downer with his currently, but has it actually let him down, and has it cost him anything other than things he chose to do hiself, (like replace clutch) and runflats, So maybe they are not too bad after all..

and my choice would be the 4.2 Diesel, possibly chipped for a tad more power. :thumbsup: Stew

AND I HAVE NO IDEA WHY THIS HAS DOUBLE POSTED