• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Mistermena

• steve evz

• cabcurtains

• T5NELtim

HHHHEEEELLLOOOOOO ive replyed to your pm but heres the thing

NO NO NO NO NO NO they shouldnt have done the headgasket and they defo shouldnt have skimmed anything you cant!!! the carbon issue is caused by the piston rings............and the headgasket issue is caused by the gasket shuffling between the head and the block....we(my dealers)havent done a rebuild since the bullitin came out saying not too...........we dont even strip them no more....

ill dig out the bullitin mate so you can see for yourself....

but if it was me i wouldnt be happy....the reason the engines are getting replaced is the rebuild isnt working

Thanks Ormi,

Should i call Toyota GB with all the info, or visit the Garage? I get the impression Bromsgrove Toyota will fob me off, i checked my paperwork and there is no mention of the work carried out only an inspection report saying there's no gas in my air con.

Steve

to do the head the engine is ment to come out for the enging to come out you drain the a/c gas....their for you refill the gas

you try and find out what they did and i'll look out the bullitin on the engine then ill advise you what to do next...if they have done the repair wrong i would go right back and insist they correct it.

Well there you have it mate. I thought these engines couldn't be skimmed! Ormi has posted lots of pics in the past on here of engines that show the shuffle from rebuilds that he's done at the dealer. I recon the dealer who you went to is pulling a right big fast one on you by the sounds of it!... Ormi will guide you from here mate. Nice one Ormi :)

Thamks guys, im going to try and get a report of what work they've actually done, will keep you posted

I wonder if they have done anything, no paperwork to mention the small matter of a head gasket, WTF is that all about!

Don't understand why the dealer didn't follow the TSB

Do the dealers make much money on this work?

I just wonder if they have, say, a full workshop of retail custom, do you think they would refuse warranty work as it pays less well than a £349 full+service ???

Other alternative perhaps they did not have a sufficiently trained mech available to do the work???

Just thoughts but basically I agree with the WTF above!

Tim

The labour rate paid by Mr T UK will be a lot less than retail, but that should make no difference to the customer's. They could push it to the back of the queue, thats their call.

This is all to do with what Mr T has authorised the dealer to do, the whole story is getting really strange though! We really need to know what Mr T UK says they authorised.

I'm very interested to know how this one pan's out and how this situation is going to be rectified! I have no idea what so ever why the dealer didn't follow the TSB??!!!... And with the absence of any works invoice (For the work that they've done) and the dealer not returning any calls I think that anyone would want to know exactly what happened to there car whilst at the main dealer!...

I hope that this situation gets sorted for you mate! And we are all here to try and lend a hand if we can :) :yes:

Latest, I managed to get hold of the Workshop Manager, he advised the below

The warranty guy only attaends Bromsgrove on Tuesday, he will fill out my paperwork tomorrow and post it to me with the work carried out. He looked at the invoice and he could see i have had a new water pump, seals gasket, oil etc. He couldn't send me that info as it has prices etc only relevant to Toyota.

He mentioned that he worked strictly to the guide lines and the Carbon build up was not excessive so therefore the engine had a clean up which should not cause any further problems

He also mentioned that they were doing Engine replacements more frequent in the past but now they have more strict guidelines

Ummmmm!... I think I'd be more inclinded to go with Ormi and what he said on here about this situation. I'd be drafting a letter to the manager of customer services Toyota Uk, so as soon as I had the responce from the dealer its ready to send recorded delivery. They could be correct in what they've told you!.... But I doult it!!!!

Hello Mr M,

I feel this is the end of the road, the technician in his proffesional opinion has carried the sufficient work out to rectify this issue. The engine has been put back together so how can we challenge this? This is where i'm at.... with 17,000 + miles to go (3 yrs) i can have peace of mind, if it blows it goes back in, if not i will part ex it with 4 weeks of warranty left. I'm still in a comfortable position. it drives much better and picked up to 90 mph quite nicely today on the M5..

What would have all that work cost? Grand + ???

Sounds like a reasonable explanation, just keep it serviced and watch the oil and water levels. :thumbsup:

I still find it interesting that the work was FOC when the car is so far out of warranty, i can only assume its some how connected to the TSB regarding the carbon issues and the pistons were not scorched enough or whatever other issues they look for to replace the block.

Hello Cabcurtains,

In my limited experienced opinion i agree that it is well linked with the TSB and yes the obvious point is why did they do that work if it is not linked?? One minute i was talking about dropping my mrs off at work and her catching the bus back for a week(**** me, should have seen her face) then i get a call to say its fixed all of a sudden?

Mixed thoughts, my Mrs is pleased though

Hello Cabcurtains,

In my limited experienced opinion i agree that it is well linked with the TSB and yes the obvious point is why did they do that work if it is not linked?? One minute i was talking about dropping my mrs off at work and her catching the bus back for a week(**** me, should have seen her face) then i get a call to say its fixed all of a sudden?

Mixed thoughts, my Mrs is pleased though

To clarify, i said i needed to borrow her car so i could get to work...

your all missing the point he wasnt in for a carbon build up related fault..........

carbon build up....lack of power a lot of smoke

gasket shuffle/failure.......coolant all over the place and water loss

keep a very close eye on levels and performance i was busy today but i'll look over the bullitin and give you the info

your all missing the point he wasnt in for a carbon build up related fault..........

keep a very close eye on levels and performance i was busy today but i'll look over the bullitin and give you the info

I think one of the things that we are finding confusing is why Toyota have fixed this FoC if it is an unrelated fault. I mean if it was a plain simple HG failure (and they do happen) then I would have thought Toyota would want paying...

I think one of the things that we are finding confusing is why Toyota have fixed this FoC if it is an unrelated fault. I mean if it was a plain simple HG failure (and they do happen) then I would have thought Toyota would want paying...

Thats exactly it, why FOC?

Driving to work this morning a little bit ambitiously (got up late putting foot down) i had to brake quite hard as another motorist must have had dirty wing mirrors as he nearly had 1.5 tons of silver avensis in his boot. Anyway there was a loud clunk, engine mount clunk? I accelerated hard off the lights a few mins later and the same clunk which i felt through the pedals again happened.

Now thinking Mr T Bromsgrove have not tightened something, i know it's hard to comment on me saying clunk but what's the chances?

As you say difficult to comment.

BUT cars which have engine mount problems exhibit this sort of behaviour. Could be related...That can feel like quite a bang as either the torque of the engine or the force of heavy braking moves the engine and somewhere along the line you get metal on metal.

Alternatively just some loose ancillaries.

Get it checked ASAP though - and try and get a loaner - it is quite likely their fault!

It's starting to sound like this dealer doesn't know what they are doing with cars, if the lack of following the TSB is anything to go by!!! :ph34r::giljotiini::crybaby:

• 3 weeks later...

Just to throw my hat in the ring - my daughter bought a 2008 Avensis D4D 2.0l 3 weeks ago. No problems on the test drive or for the the following 2 weeks, but suddenly last week it started dumping coolant from the header bottle vent pipe.

Topped up, it dies the same thing when driven again. No loss of heating, no bubbles in the coolant when the engine is running, no loss of power or rough running. So no obvious signs of HG failure.

Parked up overnight and remove the cap whilst still cold, there's a decent amount of pressure still in the system - so no obvious leaks. Not sure what pressure should be in the system normally, but I can still squeeze the pipes when it's running at full temp, so doesn't seem to be over pressurised.

Could it be early HG failure signs? Are the coolant reservoir caps subject to failure - i.e. could it be letting go when hot?

Todays update.

Our local mechaninc looked at the problem and then had a word with a Toyota MD service manager. The problem is only just appearing in Ireland, but only happens on UK imported vehicles.

Bad news: Toyota Ireland won't cover it under warranty or the TSB because it's a grey import :-(

Good news: Toyota UK will honour the TSB, the car is being shipped to Swindon on Monday aso hopefully it will be resolved PDQ :-)

Thanks to all for this and he other related threads and especially for posting the TSB - without it, even the Toyota MD's didn't know where to start looking!