Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Coolant Leaking From Expansion Tank Overflow Pipe

steve evz

Hi, I have a similar problem on my 2008 RAV XTR. It was serviced in middle of Jan and Marshalls Toyota said they thought I had a head gasket leak, but had checked it and it was ok. They then replaced my coolant and sent me on my way. After this I noted that the header tank level was dropping by 2.5cm a week and signs of coolant on top of expansion tank, I even bought a new cap as I thought the headgasket had been checked as ok. Took it back in Friday and they confirmed the head gasket was gone and quoted £3500. I said I was not happy and they suggested I speak to customer relations at Toyota UK. Car was 104000, 5 years old and fully stamped service book. All Toyota offered was 10% off the short engine and apparently said that Marshalls Toyota have to do it at warranty hourly rate. I now have been quoted £6300 less the discount down to £5300. I am going to ring them back tomorrow as totally unhappy with this. Seems they have put the quote up to cover the discounted hourly rate. My car is feb 2008, just before they admitted that the coolant reacting with the head gasket was the problem, but the new stuff they put in in Jan is the same pink colour, should it be a different colour? Anyone got any suggestions to my best line of approach now? Any advice would be great.

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Mistermena

• steve evz

• cabcurtains

• T5NELtim

Well looks like Toyota engines still have problems.

No goodwill from toyota (not surprised really)

The garage that has the car has said 15 1/2 hours labour for engine out and back. Take head off then to tell me if it's the gasket or the engine that needs replacing!

Another dealer has said they will px the car as it is against a 12 plate ex demo and similar payments to what we pay now but over 3 years.(we currently have 1 year left on the present finance)

We run a small private hire firm so we are going for this as I need a car on the road as soon as.

Gonna pick the car up tommorrow and drive it to the other garage.

The new car will be watched very carefully for any coolant issues!

Wish I had stuck with Peugeot! All my previous cars have done over 300k without any engine problems at all!

Just a quick update, my Avensis has now gone.

In it's place is a facelift 12 plate with 15k miles on it.

Many thanks to WKB Toyota in Havant for sorting this out.

They've thrown in the first service we need for free and will collect and return the car when it needs servicing in the future.

First class service.

• 2 weeks later...

Great news for me and other Toyota diesel owners, Toyota authorised Marshalls to replace the engine, so it looks like the service bulletin still holds. Got the car back Tuesday with the new 3/4 engine fitted, no paperwork though, told this will be in the post. Then blow me down it would not start at the garage, they took it back into the workshop for 30 minutes and got it started, saying it was air in the fuel system. Would not start again yesterday morning, ok for the rest of the day, but then Thursday morning would not start again. Going back in tomorrow, anyone any ideas what it is. Battery is good, turns it over well, once its started it lasts for the rest of the day, then overnight its back to not starting. If it was colder I would suspect the glowplugs, but this morning it was really mild. Hopefully they will find out tomorrow. Just to say once running it is definitely quieter and smoother than before, I was very happy for 10 minutes before it wouldn't start.

Don't worry. Give them your car, drive away in their courtesy car and leave the problem in their hands.

Got the Rav back and is starting ok now, they said the fuel filter was dirty, funny I only had it replaced middle of January, still that's sorted. I have one problem left now since the engine change (and clutch at my expense) it is extremely difficult to change from 1st to 2nd and then down from 3rd to 2nd, mentioned it to Mr Toyota but was asked to give it a bit of time to settle down before they look into it, hopefully they are right, its definitely going to affect my golf swing, never had a gb so stiff.

Other than that I am just waiting for the details of the engine to get the logbook updated.

Hi guys it's a long time since I've posted on this site,I'll keep this short for now and give you the basics.

I had a head gasket go on my 07 avensis tspirit 2.2 d,

Had new engine fitted as it was under warranty, 35k miles later looks like same problem,

I have all the usual signs water bottle empty,no heat from heater,water gushing sound coming from dash on engin start,

Gonna ring the garage tmoro where I had it fitted to see what they have to say,

I just hope they look after me as its the same problem with a supposed to be modified head.

I was just wondering if any of u have heard of this problem accruing twice and with a good result at the end,

My car was under warranty the 1st time but my question is it still under any sort of warranty with the new engine.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated, cheers lookin forward to your reply's.

Regards

Richie.

I also had my engine replaced a few weeks ago with the Optifit engine. I asked the service manager if there is anything I need to do to stop the HG going again, the reply was no, it is a modified engine and it will not happen again. I hope he is right but seeing a few on here with the replacement engine suffering the same symptoms again it does not fill me with confidence.

We really like our Verso and it is running great with the new engine but as the replacement is only covered for 12 months we are not sure if we will keep it or not.

Well I was onto Toyota uk customer relations, bottom line they don't wanna know!!

I'm very disappointed to say the least, what are my options now?, there is obviously a fault somewhere that's causing this to happen, is it the water pump or something simple that's not doing its job?,

Can a new toyota engine that's fitted by Toyota only be capable of doing 35k miles,this was one of the questions I put to customer relations, what a joke, the car is sitting in my driveway looking good as I always look after it,

A tspirit in perfect condition body wise with full leather and a dodgy ticker no one is gonna want it,

My next step is to get the engine stripped ASAP skim the head even though they don't recommend it and sell it on or trade it in for a NON TOYOYA!! Any one out there that has done this I would like to hear how the skimmed head worked out, it only costs €50 to get the head skimmed its the labour of stripping and putting it back together that's brining up the cost.

If anyone has just had a new engine fit done be very aware and have a good think about whats best in the long run, it is possible it WILL happen again just read the posts.

• 2 years later...

Hello i hope you can help, when i start my Avensis 2.2 D-4D i hear water rushing through the heater matrix, i have been losing coolant which leaks from the tank expansion pipe, i first noticed the heater started to blow cold for a few mins before returning back hot. The engine temp still sits normal after 40 mins motorway driving, recently i can top up a half a litre a day, but continues to steam/drip from expansion pipe, i'm hoping its an airlock and not a blown head gasket on my 57 reg 94k miles

Thanks

Steve

Hi Steve. Did you find you find out if it was an air block. I have the same problem with my toyota. Same model as yours but 07 plate

• 6 months later...

Hello - new to this forum and just came across this post following a google search for "toyota avensis leaking coolant from overflow", so apologies for commenting on such an old post.  

I have a 2006 Toyota Avensis D4D 2.2.  91K miles, owned from new, with full service history - the first 6 years or so being done by Toyota, the rest by my local reputable garage. It has just had its 10 year/100,000 mile service.

I have recently noticed the heater blowing cold and coolant loss.  Booked in with garage and they have replaced the radiator cap a couple of days ago.    

So……… When I got home yesterday, I checked the coolant and could see it had been dripping from the overflow.  I left a plate under the car overnight and nothing more dripped out.  So the leak is only occurring when the car is running.  

This morning, before starting the engine, I checked under the bonnet, and it was all dry.  Drove to work (only 2 miles), checked under bonnet again and sure enough, leaked coolant from the overflow all down the fan.

So, from reading this thread, am I right in assuming it is the head gasket - could it be anything else?  Am I also right in thinking we wouldn't qualify for the extended warranty which seems to be 7 years or 112,000 miles?  Very sad :(

The goodwill arrangement that Toyota used to cover the head gasket issues with the AD series engines is 7 years or 111,846 miles, whichever is reached first. 

you need to get the coolant sniff tested to confirm if it hg failure. On a car that old there are other potential causes for coolant loss e.g. water pump weeping or a problem with the radiator.

When you checked before they changed the cap had you noticed any signs of coolant loss from the overflow at that time?

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links