Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Coolant Leaking From Expansion Tank Overflow Pipe

steve evz

still think that it's a minority.

& I still don't think that we've seen a complaint for an engine without the dates on the TSB (i.e. for an Avensis built 2009 or later).

No I guess they have sorted it now (hopefully) so issues will be limited to injector failure, DPF failure, DMF failure :clown:.

I expect that, due to the required mileage to cause the necessary carbon build up, there will be a peak of new cases (perhaps now) and it will tail off. Unfortunately some poor buggers are going to get this issue outside 7yrs 112k pretty soon.

I would not want to own one of these outside warranty now though...(7yrs)

I´m one of those poor buggers... My Avensis 2,0 4d4 -08 has 180k on the clock now and the engine is once repaired under warranty due to excessive oil consumption at 60k. I´m getting a little bit worried now though as my cars exhaust smells sweet like coolant when engine is cold. The coolant looks red and clean, the oil is fine and no leaks but after all these horror stories you get a little bit worried, especially with a car definitely out of all warranties. No fun at all driving a car where this headgasket and engine issue is hanging like a black cloud over you... Maybe it is just time to get rid of it before it breaks down, no idea to spend huge sums on repairing it either...

It occours to me that this headgasket issue is more common in the UK than other places, in Finland for instance. And we have a few diesel Toyotas here too I can assure you :clap: A couple of my local Toyota garages who I have talked to said they have heard of some headgasket issues on the 2.2 engine only but never repaired any themselves... maybe they modified the truth a bit here... who knows. After reading this forum I get the feeling there might be some truth in their statements after all? Or is the 2,2 engine much more popular than the 2,0 in the UK for instance? And is the excessive carbon build up the main reason for all these problems? I mean then you might as a driver have some influence on it.

Somehow I would have expected a little bit more build quality out of my car as a whole. First of all Toyota sell their cars so well because of the reputation of being reliable cars - not their driveability. All these problems you can read about certainly sheds a new light at this good reputation - it seems that the quality is quite mediocre after all.

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Mistermena

• steve evz

• cabcurtains

• T5NELtim

still think that it's a minority.

& I still don't think that we've seen a complaint for an engine without the dates on the TSB (i.e. for an Avensis built 2009 or later).

No I guess they have sorted it now (hopefully) so issues will be limited to injector failure, DPF failure, DMF failure :clown:.

I expect that, due to the required mileage to cause the necessary carbon build up, there will be a peak of new cases (perhaps now) and it will tail off. Unfortunately some poor buggers are going to get this issue outside 7yrs 112k pretty soon.

I would not want to own one of these outside warranty now though...(7yrs)

I´m one of those poor buggers... My Avensis 2,0 4d4 -08 has 180k on the clock now and the engine is once repaired under warranty due to excessive oil consumption at 60k. I´m getting a little bit worried now though as my cars exhaust smells sweet like coolant when engine is cold. The coolant looks red and clean, the oil is fine and no leaks but after all these horror stories you get a little bit worried, especially with a car definitely out of all warranties. No fun at all driving a car where this headgasket and engine issue is hanging like a black cloud over you... Maybe it is just time to get rid of it before it breaks down, no idea to spend huge sums on repairing it either...

It occours to me that this headgasket issue is more common in the UK than other places, in Finland for instance. And we have a few diesel Toyotas here too I can assure you :clap: A couple of my local Toyota garages who I have talked to said they have heard of some headgasket issues on the 2.2 engine only but never repaired any themselves... maybe they modified the truth a bit here... who knows. After reading this forum I get the feeling there might be some truth in their statements after all? Or is the 2,2 engine much more popular than the 2,0 in the UK for instance? And is the excessive carbon build up the main reason for all these problems? I mean then you might as a driver have some influence on it.

Somehow I would have expected a little bit more build quality out of my car as a whole. First of all Toyota sell their cars so well because of the reputation of being reliable cars - not their driveability. All these problems you can read about certainly sheds a new light at this good reputation - it seems that the quality is quite mediocre after all.

Ouch!!!... Yer you've well out of warranty and I would expect that Toyota wouldn't put there hands in there pocket for much (If at all) if the gasket has gone again! The problems are not indicative of just the 2.2 as there are problems with the 2.0L also! It just seems that there are a lot (Including me) of 2.2 owners who have either suffered from either the Carbon issues due to in main the EGR valve or the head gasket issue.

I've always owned diesels since 1985 and loved them, but as times goes on I'm more drawn to petrols as the fuel is sooooo much cheaper and doesn't have thw problems that thes modern oil burners have! I bought my T-180 estate because I thought that Toyota were one of the best manufactured cars in the World! how wrong was i!!! These EGR valves and Euro 5 B@@locks are killing the oil burners! If I get anymore issues with this car then its gone and I'll go back to a VAG group car like an Audi! My VW Polo TDi has over 210k on the clock and runs like a dream...

Hello kallew,

I've never owned a Toyota before, well sort of! My other half had a passion for the uk built MR2'S for yrs, for the last 3 yrs now developed a love for the SLK 350 & even mentioned the AMG over Christmas( i carried on watching Scrooge without acknowledging) proud of that!! I got made redundant last year from what i'm good at.. and always enjoyed my Audi, i needed a reliable priceable car fast and Toyota sprang to mind. Spent 5 grand on my motor with plans of years of good cheap motoring, 12 weeks later and here i am with a blown head gasket. decided to join this Forum 2 days ago as i thought i had a air lock, convinced myself its an air lock.. i can fix that myself cheap with help. Then i was advised by Mr M... top bloke.. that it was more serious.

Anyway my point.. i still think Toyota are superb reliable motors and to hold their hands up at such a massive quality issue and providing extended warranty i'm seriously impressed..

hope the above made sense.. decided to have a beer on a school night

Steve

Eh up mate! I'm with you on that one as I'm on the Vodka! Oh happy days! :P I bought my Toyota because I thought it was a very good buy and would last me for years! I went for the Avensis T-180 estate as it gave me all the toys that I was use to coming from the Audi A6 3.2 wollop machine but without the running costs of a large 32v petrol engine. The Avensis came with no less than 9 air bags! (2 being knee ones) and a 5* NCAP test result! so I thought perfect for the family and as safe as mybe a Volve.

My car had a new engine fitted 6k befor I bought it so I thought this is fantastic! Untill I joined this amazing forum and found out so much more about this and other cars that Mr T produce! I am now on my 2nd dealer built engine and like many others are very worried if either the head gasket is gonna go or the EGR is gonna fu@k up the mod pistons that have been fitted for the 2nd time! Oh... The joys of motoring in a Jap car eh!...

Garage just called to say car is ready? They have just replaced the head gasket nothing else? I asked what caused it to blow & receptionist couldn't tell me and that they worked to the flowchart which only required a gasket change

What do you think?

Well...

If they only changed the head gasket, and they do not have a 'cause' that relates to the TSB then are they making you pay for it? If they are paying I would be curious...

If it does relate to the TSB (sure someone has posted a link to the latest version) then I would want to read through that carefully and check that there are circumstances under which gasket replacement is the recommended course of action. I would then expect to see some evidence of this from the garage - e.g. measurements taken etc. and pictures of the condition of the pistons with the head off and EGR (before any cleaning!).

As far as I can tell from reading the TSB, the head gasket can fail due to carbon build up, presumably if there is no build up then they will claim that this is not the reason.

I have been told it is being covered under warranty, The car has done 94,000 miles i do 5000 miles a year & its just over 4yrs old. With that in mind this issue is still covered for the next 3 yrs, if it pops again soon it will obviously show that they cured the Symptom not the problem

Its good to get my car back in 2 days and yes i would have rather had a new engine but as mentioned i have got 3yrs

OK,

If you are happy then all is well. For sure it is good to have the car back quickly and, personally, I would rather have a Toyota engine assembled of a line than a local dealer rebuilt one. (Though of course I'd rather have a dealer rebuilt engine than a knackered factory engine...)

If the car is working, you are reassured by the dealer that you are covered against further, related issues then I suppose you should be a happy bunny.

I do wonder why the dealer seems not to have followed the TSB (as I understand it) in these circumstances though...and if, because of this, you are lacking modern redesigned components (pistons ?) that should reduce the likelihood of this happening again...anyone care to comment?

Chill for 3yrs, just have it serviced at Mr T, yes its more expensive but at least your trying to do things right, in case the worst happens!

Does seem odd though, why fix the head foc if they dont see an engine issue? I think they expect you to be out of warranty soon based on the cars annual mileage to date. Then you can pay for the engine.

Afaik... These engines can not just have a new head gasket if its failed!!! It needs a new engine if I understand what one of the forum member "Ormi" has said in the past! I think it would worth sending him a PM and ask him. He's a Toyota tech and has helped me on so many times in the past...

I would like to know what they have done and what was the cause of the failure. I'd also be sending a letter to Toyota UK and ask them what was done and the reasons why? Also what warranties and guarantee they are going to offer you should this go again, as it has done with so many other cars!... Including mind that has gone twice!!!

Got the motor back, i asked that very question and again they couldn't answer as the Technician had gone home and left no notes, i told them im calling first thing to speak to him as they have only fixed the symptom. I have 3 years to get the job done right, i'm going to take your advice and go down those steps.

Oh by the way its lovely and clean, i walked straight past it

This will be an interesting situation, please keep us all informed Steve.

I would love to know what Mr T CS will say about only doing the head. Out of interest did they skim the head?

Nice one mate... I hope it all turns out trumps for you and you find out what happened and how they remedy it :yes::thumbsup:

Hello cabcurtains, i have no idea if they skimmed it, will find out tomorrow and will keep you informed.

Thanks for your ongoing support i feel quite confident about the situation as you experienced guys advise my next move.

If anyone does go to Westlands Toyota in Bromsgrove the girl on the service desk is stunning,

Hello cabcurtains, i have no idea if they skimmed it, will find out tomorrow and will keep you informed.

Thanks for your ongoing support i feel quite confident about the situation as you experienced guys advise my next move.

If anyone does go to Westlands Toyota in Bromsgrove the girl on the service desk is stunning,

I'm glad you like me Mrs :naughty::kewlpics:

Mr M, you are one lucky guy she's hot, she must love her job too travelling 230+ miles every day to work

Mr M, you are one lucky guy she's hot, she must love her job too travelling 230+ miles every day to work

She just loves everything to do with Toyota! And thats why I let her travel all that way to work!!! :lol2:

Mr M, just called in the big guns! Ormi... just sent PM if he would mind reading this thread, i mentioned that you passed on his name

Mr M, just called in the big guns! Ormi... just sent PM if he would mind reading this thread, i mentioned that you passed on his name

He's one of the good guys on here mate! he really does know his stuff an all! We're very lucky to have him here for us mortals to call upon! :) :yes:

He wont reply now :laughing: , he's been trying to shake Taff off for ages :help2:

He wont reply now :laughing: , he's been trying to shake Taff off for ages :help2:

Eh you!!!... No body likes a smart @rse! Lol... :fishyface: :blow:

Thats not what the bird at Mr T Bromsgrove says :yahoo:

Thats not what the bird at Mr T Bromsgrove says :yahoo:

She says that to all the boys!!!... Wait till I get her home! I'll give her what for! :kisss::naughty:

Still no info from Garage, they haven't returned any calls.

Still no info from Garage, they haven't returned any calls.

Now thats not good mate! Why not pop down and have a word with the workshop manager?

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links