Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Lousy Fuel Consumption – Avensis T180 D-Cat

Kap

Hi All,

It looks like this has been on the forums before, but i am hoping I can get some current or up to date advice.

Just before Christmas I bought myself a 2007 Avensis T180 D-CAT with 43k on the clock. All in all I like the car, well put together, nice extras, roomy, and plenty of grunt (compared to my last car - VW Bora TDI). However, I am rather puzzled by the abysmal fuel consumption. I have recently added some fuel treatment to try and clear out any rubbish, but it hasn't helped.

Most of my driving is between home and work, Welwyn Garden City and Harrow via the A1(M). So I should be able to get a decent MPG. My last car I was getting minimum 42MPG. Even in winter.

I have read a lot about the EGR, but could it be anything else. If not, how easy is it to find the EGR, remove it, clean it, and refit?

Look forward to your feedback.

cheers

Kaps

what are you getting now?

The DPF uses diesel to burn off soot particles & has a noticeable effect on mpg (imo 5mpg or more down on the non-D-CAT 2.2). I presume that your Bora didn't have similar?

If your car is driving well with plenty of grunt it sounds like the EGR is OK.

If its doing early 30's then thats about the norm for a standard T180, you can find thread after thread about it on here.

EGR cleaning guide - for your engine http://www.toyotaownersclub.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=106241&view=963979

At the moment I am getting 33-34MPG. There is plenty of grunt, but there is a slight lag in power delivery. Other than that, it drives ok. I am not expecting it to feel as nippy as the Bora. The Bora is a much smaller car. The Avensis is more a cruiser.

I have had it serviced recently at a local garage, and he said that he felt the car was ok after a test drive.

There are a few things I would do to improve the mpg! But its going to be down somewhat in this cold weather anyway. Cleaning the EGR valve is a really easy thing to do and there are some fantasic guides on the forum of how to do it!... Using a K&N air filter will help the engine breath better to! these can be picked up for less than £40 and can be washed and re-used unto 1 million miles.

Using a piggy-back tuning box makes a massive difference to mpg! I've gained and extra 12mpg when driving at 70mph with cruise on. These engines should have a C2 spec oil like Mobil 1 ESP (5w-30) with a low ash content for the D-CAT system. I also changed the box oil to a straight 75w grade Silkolen Pro SRG double ester oil as these triple syncro boxes can suffer from 2nd gear crunch when cold and 1st gear is a nightmare to engage.

V-Power derv GTL (Gass To Liquid) does make a difference to the mpg and helps maintain the fuel system components! Its more expensive that normal diesel but has twice the additive package and really does work...

Thanks for the replies so far.

Cabcurtains - Thanks for the EGR instructions. I will have a go at it this weekend.

Mistermena - Pardon my motoring ignorance, but what is a piggy back tuning box, where can i get one, how does it fit, and most important of all how much does it cost??

cheers

Kaps

Thanks for the replies so far.

Cabcurtains - Thanks for the EGR instructions. I will have a go at it this weekend.

Mistermena - Pardon my motoring ignorance, but what is a piggy back tuning box, where can i get one, how does it fit, and most important of all how much does it cost??

cheers

Kaps

Hiya mate,

Because the Denso ECU can not be cracked (As yet) you can not get the car chipped as you could with most other cars like VW,Audi,BMW ect, so you have to buy a tunning box ( called a piggy back box) in order to re-map the engine. The one I have got is called a TUNIT box and it takes about 5 mins to put on the car! it just simply plugs into the fuel rail and away you go. It has 9 adjustable settings for more power and torque for towing caravans ect or eco ones for more mpg. I have left mine on factory set 6 as this does everything I want.

These boxes are not cheap new at £485 a pop! they can be picked up off eBay used for around the £150 and my one still had over 2 and a half years warranty left on it. There are lots of different makes of boxes out there but I really reserched the Tunit one and read lots of the reviews in the motoring mags (And user reviews) b4 I went for it.

There is a main dealer on here (Called Kingo) that also sell a different tuning box that some people have also. It could be worth getting hold of him to see what the deals/prices are atm...

Hope this helps mate :drunk:

Well, I cleaned out the EGR, and it has definately made a difference to the power delivery. There is no lag, and there our no slight power loss while driving. Thanks to the guide you chaps pointed me it was easy to do. Bought myself a new socket set to do the job too!!! Told the wife that I had used the money i had saved by not giving it to a garage.

Anyway, there is little or no improvement in economy. I am guessing i will have to take it for a long drive.

We shall see.

cheers

K

Take it for a blast down Rusholme and the curry mile! But dont leave the car parked up there if you fancy a take away :eat: ! :P :arrgg-matey: :ph34r::beer::2guns::boxed::batman::driving::fireman2:

Will give it till this weekend to see how it goes. I was getting 33.7mpg last night. On the way to work it went up to 33.9. If there is no significant improvement, i will take the EGR off again, and see what state it is. After that will do the usual, recheck tyre pressure, refill tank and add fuel treatment, and take for a blast on the motorway.

Getting a little worried that it may be a more serious issue. One thing I have forgot to mention is that the fuel consumption has been dropping since i got it back from service. Any ideas??

cheers

Kaps

• 1 month later...

Just an update. The motor has been running at 33-34MPG since my last post. But last weekend the MPG suddenly dropped to 26MPG, and the digital read out for average MPG was fluctuating every few minutes. In the past it would not change for 20 minutes. However, since tuesday morning the MPG is slowly creeping back up, and I have got it to 31.9MPG.

Can anybody explain the sudden dip in MPG.

cheers

Kaps

• 1 month later...

What more can i say? Did you try to bring your car to a shop? Well, fuel consumption for me is a major issue because it has a lot to do with my expenses especially now that fuel prices is going up because it's spring time.