Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Avensis No Start

peterpointer

Hi All

I have a 2000 1.8 vvti,Avensis with 90000+ miles on the clock,ive had the car for about a year and had no problems whatsoever,until last monday morning, when I went to start it. The car ran for two to three seconds and then stopped. It was a very cold morning and I thought that this was the problem, Ive had no problem's starting the car in the past.I went to start it later that morning and it started first time, and the car ran perfect ,switched it off and the same fault occured as before. That evening I started it again and it started ok, drove the car around for a bit ,parked it up and it hasn't started since. Seem's to fire first time and then cut's out after two to three second's. I have checked the fuel pump today and it's working ok, checked over the engine and can't see anything that's obvious. There was a thread on here some time ago with a similar problem but no-one came back with an answer . I would be very grateful for anyone's thought's and feed back about the possible cause.

Regard's

John

Hi All

I have a 2000 1.8 vvti,Avensis with 90000+ miles on the clock,ive had the car for about a year and had no problems whatsoever,until last monday morning, when I went to start it. The car ran for two to three seconds and then stopped. It was a very cold morning and I thought that this was the problem, Ive had no problem's starting the car in the past.I went to start it later that morning and it started first time, and the car ran perfect ,switched it off and the same fault occured as before. That evening I started it again and it started ok, drove the car around for a bit ,parked it up and it hasn't started since. Seem's to fire first time and then cut's out after two to three second's. I have checked the fuel pump today and it's working ok, checked over the engine and can't see anything that's obvious. There was a thread on here some time ago with a similar problem but no-one came back with an answer . I would be very grateful for anyone's thought's and feed back about the possible cause.

Regard's

John

sounds like the crank sensor faulty have u had diagnostics done on the car

Thanks for getting back to me Terry,no i havent,but looks like i am going to have too,the only probem its stuck on the drive.

John

John Have u a local independent garage near by he mite call out and have a look and plug it in for u

yes Terry a garage i have used in the past isnt to far away, i may have to give them a ring if i cant sort this out,do you no where on the engine the sensor is located,ive also read that the AA diagnosed the crancshaft senser on an Avensis and it turned out to be a relay ?

Not sure on your model it usually around the bottom pulley or block . If its a relay a scan tool mite not show up a faulty relay it does sound like a crank sensor thou john

Thanks Terry, well,ive had a guy come this morning with a diagnostic machine and no fault showed up,then guess what, he turned the key and the car started first time,i drove it for a mile or so,parked it up and the no start fault is back,so whatever the cause, is corecting itself for a short time,the mechanic did say that sometimes the cranck sensor,doesnt show on diagnostic.

FIXED

I replaced the ignition swith about six months ago,i dont know why, but i decided to have a look at the ignition switch again this morning,i found the multi plug to the switch wasnt quite pushed home,after pluging it in and out half a dozen times to clean the pins,the car has been starting on the key with no problems all afternoon.Cant explain if the plug has been loose and moved, just enough to cause a bad connection,but the car has been starting intermitantly through the week.

Thanks to Terry for his help

Regards

John

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links