Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Clattering Noise Increases And Decreases With Speed.

peterc.lewis@blueyonder.co.uk

Me again, long time no look in.

I've now got a X reg 1.8 VVTI with around 74000 miles on the clock.

Because I usually drive around with the stereo on I hadn't noticed a noise till my wife pointed it out and since then I can't miss it.

At first it sounded like pinking as it was most evident (or appeared to be) when you put you foot down in a high gear and loud the engine. Change of plugs was due anyway and I put in injector cleaner and higher octane fuel to see if that made any difference.

Nope.

Checked the fluid levels (including the manual transmission level) and all is well , or as well as it could be, I seem to have a general oil leak as the bottom of the engine is wet with oil , though not flowing with the stuff.

I took my foot off the gas and pushed in the clutch. Sound remained (though less noticable , still there).

As I pulled up to stop I noticed that the frequency of the noise was speed dependant. Faster you went the quicker the sound got. It is also not rev dependant.

It sounds to me like something is clattering or clicking against something else and I was after some ideas.

Cheers,

Pete.

How often do you check ya oil ?

Sounds like the cam ?

Are you using the correct grade of oil for the car? Starting to sound like cam to me. Do these engines have a timing chain or belt? Get someone to rev the engine while you listern to the cams under the bonnet! Should be a light ticking as the cams go round...

The oil leak needs to be looked into! a lot of the time an oil leak thats at the bottom of the engine actually comes from a leaking rocker cover at the top of the lump...

Cheers for the prompt responses.

I keep an eye on the oil like a hawk, it's a vvti :)

What I forgot to mention is that the noise seems to not be engine related. I could be wrong though. I have actually switched the engine off and coasted down a long hill and you can still hear the clattering with the engine switched off (yeah I know , brakes etc :) ). I thought it was engine related until I thought it's not related to engine revs at all,but the speed the car is actually rolling at. The engine runs sweet. You are right though , I need to get that leak traced.

If the noise is not engine speed related then it likel;y to be transmission related.

Have you clearly determined which?

As best as I can tell it is more likely transmission than engine as it speeds up and slows down with the car moving. Once stationary (speed zero) there is no noise. Also the noise does not seem to be directly related to the operation of the clutch. If I rev the engine while stopped and depress the clutch (out of gear) nothing. If I drive off and lift the clutch in gear there are no unusual noises. The only clear way I can describe it is it almost sounds like there's a blt sticking out of the side of the wheel and it is hitting something, just slightly , as the wheel rotated. No wheel rotation , no noise. Thanks again for the prompt responses, appreciated.

Gearbox chatter then! I'd change the box oil if thats the case, even look at a thicker grade if possible. Forte produce this... http://www.forteuk.co.uk/product.php?id=35/Diff_and_Gear_Treatment which I've found to be very good stuff! Buy it off eBay for a tennor

The only clear way I can describe it is it almost sounds like there's a blt sticking out of the side of the wheel and it is hitting something, just slightly , as the wheel rotated. No wheel rotation , no noise. Thanks again for the prompt responses, appreciated.

CV joint ?

Does this come from the front or back of the car? Not a stone or sonething caught at the back of the disc and back plate? Or the shield hitting the disc as it rotates?

What if you 'coast' when you take a bend. Noisier turning left or right?

Not noisier going round corners. I checked for stones and stuff (for reasons that would take far too long to explain but it involves an old mate of mine in Cardiff and the way his uncle checked mechanics out before he hired them). Straight line and the noise increases and decreases with over the ground speed. Not Rev's. Got me scratching my head ....

Me again, long time no look in.

I've now got a X reg 1.8 VVTI with around 74000 miles on the clock.

Because I usually drive around with the stereo on I hadn't noticed a noise till my wife pointed it out and since then I can't miss it.

At first it sounded like pinking as it was most evident (or appeared to be) when you put you foot down in a high gear and loud the engine. Change of plugs was due anyway and I put in injector cleaner and higher octane fuel to see if that made any difference.

Nope.

Checked the fluid levels (including the manual transmission level) and all is well , or as well as it could be, I seem to have a general oil leak as the bottom of the engine is wet with oil , though not flowing with the stuff.

I took my foot off the gas and pushed in the clutch. Sound remained (though less noticable , still there).

As I pulled up to stop I noticed that the frequency of the noise was speed dependant. Faster you went the quicker the sound got. It is also not rev dependant.

It sounds to me like something is clattering or clicking against something else and I was after some ideas.

Cheers,

Pete.

You could try jacking up one of the front corners of the car . Start the engine and engage the gears - that will spin the lifted road wheel - and see if the knock is still there.

If not it could be a tyre fault. Then jack up the opposite side and repeat - if the noise starts it may be a drive shaft or disc/hub assembly. Best to have someone with you when you do this - so that you can listen outside while the 'road speed' is changed by the 'driver'. It may be possible to isolate which side the noise is coming from and what's causing it.

Good thinking! I have just had the tires changed but the noise was there beforehand. Hub or driveshaft would seem like a sensible place to look. I might take it to the local garage so he can chuck it on the rolling road. I suspect that this is one job I might be leaving to the garage if it is either of these two. Cheers

Dnt realy want to say this , but as you described , i had kind of the same noise in the front left of my car , and only yesterday brought it to the garage only to be told that its the gear box differential , so its still in the garage and i am looking for a gear box . All they done just lift the car up , and first spun one wheel with the hand then the other one , and with both wheels u could hear this cracking rubbing noise . Hoppefuly yours is just something small ,

I jacked the car up (but of course the whole front or it would have taken off across the drive with a driven wheel in contact with the ground.

I couldn't see anything so am going to get a local mechanic to have a look and take it from there.

If it is the gearbox then the car is dead, I'm not pouring a ton of cash in to a car that will no doubt die of oil consumption problems in the future.

We'll see and I will feedback as I am grateful for people taking their time out and it's a way of filling in the gaps...

Cheers folks.

Hello again everybody , just update on my prev post in this topic , i got the second hand gear box and the seller was keep telling me that the box is all grand and that was taking out the car that was driving grand ! So i got my mechanic to put it in and i took it for a spin from the garage yesterday , and my oh my ! the gear box i got making exact same noise as my old one just even worse ! And 3rd and the 5th gears are sticking ! So now i will have to get that box taking out again bring it back to that scamer to get my money back and bring my old box to get it reconditioned !!! So , from my personal experience dnt buy second hand gear box !!! Better get your old one reconditioned !!! Will cost the same but atleast you will have a bit of warranty with it , see i just wanted to get it done the faster way , and it will take now much longer before i can :driving: again :mad2:

I jacked the car up (but of course the whole front or it would have taken off across the drive with a driven wheel in contact with the ground.

I couldn't see anything so am going to get a local mechanic to have a look and take it from there.

If it is the gearbox then the car is dead, I'm not pouring a ton of cash in to a car that will no doubt die of oil consumption problems in the future.

We'll see and I will feedback as I am grateful for people taking their time out and it's a way of filling in the gaps...

Cheers folks.

You would have been fine with one wheel on the ground - that's how the differential works - if you've ever driven up hill and hit snow or ice with one wheel - you'd probably stop with one wheel stationary - the one with grip - and the other on the ice - spinning. You would have only 'taken off' in a vehicle that may have had it's diff 'locked' as in the case off an off roader. But - as you mentioned - a mechanic is probably your best port of call. Good luck!

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links