Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Rav4.2 Front Interior Courtesy Light Diy

Joylove

So those of you with a 4.2 will have noticed that your front interior lamp does not come on when you open the doors. Adiing a wire can solve this.

The one downside being that switching on the front map light switch also switches on the rear; which is no biggie for me. If fact I would call it an upside - it's like a remote for the rear lamp.

First disconnect the vehicle Battery and remove with a flat headed screwdriver both front and rear lamp covers. Remove the fixing screws.

100_0711.jpg

Two screws in the rear lamp.

100_0714.jpg

Three screws in the front lamp.

100_0707.jpg

Next working from the windscreen end of the front lamp release the clips and lower the front lamp cluster. These are the clips.

100_0688.jpg

100_0689.jpg

100_0690.jpg

Don't worry if you bend the ones closest to the seat, the three screws hold it in firmly.

Next fix a red/white wire to this point on the lamp. The solder won't take on the brass. Secure the wire with a dab of superglue for strain relief. Be carefull the connector you use cannot short to the brass fork top left of the photo.

100_0693.jpg

100_0694.jpg

100_0692.jpg

In the car, swap the wires over in the plug. Use a jewellers screwdriver to remove the plastic cover and lever at the parts behind to release the wires.

Before

100_0697.jpg

During

100_0698.jpg

After

100_0699.jpg

Add the wire to the conduit.

100_0700.jpg

With both lamps removed the headlining can be lowered and the arm can be inserted up to the forearm. Shove all your cable up there as far as you can.

100_0701.jpg

Grab it from the other side.

100_0704.jpg

100_0706.jpg

Make sure you leave enough slack for the existing cables to go back into the roof area toward the seatbelts when the lamp is refitted. I left more than this image shows in the headling area.

100_0708.jpg

Solder onto the red/white wire

100_0712.jpg

100_0713.jpg

And you are done.

Great little convenience mod. Needs to be pinned.

Have you had Veterinary training by any chance :lol:

Great little convenience mod. Needs to be pinned.

Have you had Veterinary training by any chance :lol:

Heh! I did feel a bit silly when the neighbour spotted me elbow deep in her. :donatello:

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links