Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

T-Spirit 11 Plate Tyres

leetrichardson90

Hey,

I have looked around but can't find much information (maybe I haven't looked hard enough) on tyres for my Yaris. I am a bit disappointed that I am even looking for new ones as I have only covered 11k miles, but there you go.

I have had a quote from my local Toyota centre for £82/per tyre to put on the ContiPremiumContact 2 which are currently on they also mentioned they can put on Dunlop's for £71 each or Falkon/Kuhmo's for ~£45 each.

I am interested in what you guys use and if I will be able to get more than say 12-13k out of a set of tyres?

They don't need immediate replacement they had 4mm of tread left at 10k and I have now done 11k.

Any help much appreciated.

Lee

If you want long life then Michelin's are typically the best, but in tests they dont match the Conti's for grip etc. I would presume this is because the Michelins are a harder compound so they last longer but don't grip as well.

It really depends what you want, a Yaris isnt a performance car so budget range Falkon/Kuhmo's could be the best. They wont grip the best or last the longest but are a lot cheaper than premium brands.

Personally as the tyres are the only thing that connect the car to the road i won't compromise and only buy Continental's.

Agree with the post above that its often a compromise between grip and durability - also fully agree that as the tyres are the only thing holding you onto the road, its worth paying for a quality brand.

I'd suggest going onto an online tyre shop such as mytyres and putting in your tyre size. That will bring up a wide selection of tyres that fit your car all priced up - with links to tests for each.

That way you can see what sort of target price you should be aiming for at whereever you go locally to buy them and also you can research the various tests to make sure the tyres you select have decent test reviews....

I always swap mine from front to back as they wear, as the front wear out quicker on front wheel drive cars.

That way, the tyres last longer before they need changing. I realise that means that you then have to fork out for all four tyres at the same time - but I prefer to do that anyway, to make sure that all four tyres are always identical.

After all - all the handling and suspension design was done on a car where each corner of the car had the same level of grip in every circumstance.

As soon as you have a mixture of tyres - you're in a situation for cornering,and front-rear grip nbalance where the car isn't quite working as the manufacturer designed it....

Its obviously not an issue to most of the population because I'm sure that most people don't care,

But if you're cornering with different tyres from to back and you hit a slippery patch on a corner - the front or rear will break away differently than if you have both ends on the same tyres. That's can't be the best situation to be in....

Blackcircles have Conti 2's listed for a tad under £80, so the Toyota Dealer isn't too bad for price (Hodgsons?) I don't know where you are but try ringing Tyre Spot in Wideopen or NE Tyres on the Silverlink and ask them to beat the Blackcircles price. Both are fitting centres for Blackcircles and I'm sure would be happy not to have to push profit Blackcircles way

The more grip you get above 7 celcius the quicker they will need replacing. I have done hundreds of hours research and gone through many. To cut a long story short just I like the Kumho KU31's. They will not last but are cheaply replaced. You can find other people's views on: http://www.tyrerevie.../Ecsta-KU31.htm

Alternatively the Falken ZE912 as mentioned will last longer and have better grip lower than 7 Celsius than all the others above but you will sacrifice some dry summer grip.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links