Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Auris Gearbox Crunch

paintpot

Hi guys, have a 2008 2.0 d4d Auris 44k miles that crunches into 2nd gear when cold. fine when gearbox is warm. one dealer says its normal lots of auris boxes have this fault another says theyve never had any auris gearbox issues. Whos right whos telling porkys. is there a known fault with these boxes.???

Can the lingage be adjusted or am I looking at gearbox rebuild

Car covered by used car warranty who will no doubt say wear and tear. Toyota main dealer (where purchased) not accepting liability

The Auris gearbox is known to crunch difficult to engage gear in cold weather, horrible I know

I had a Fabia VRS before and the gear change was so smooth made me regret buying this but I had no choice but to stick with it...

Never had any problem with my Auris gear box, does this crunch stop when the gear oil is hot ? it may be the wrong grade of gear oil causing the synchro cones in the gear box to stick. If not could be weak syncho gear rings in the box.

only crunches when cold, fine when hot. Cant see how could be wrong grade oil full history from mr T, surely they wouldnt change gearbox oil grade?

only crunches when cold, fine when hot. Cant see how could be wrong grade oil full history from mr T, surely they wouldnt change gearbox oil grade?

My Verso has been the same since new, you`ve just got to be nice and slow with the change and give it extra time until it warms.

worried prolonged use will wreck rest of gearbox

How could mr T make such an appalling car

head gasket failure

oil consumption issues

noisey diesel engines

dimal fuel consumption

now gearbox!!!

Hope mr T watches this forum he might realise how many customers he's losing and how much damage is being done to the brand

My experience of toyota dealers is pants they dont look after customers , dont deserve any loyalty

I have the same problem, especially when cold. I try to minimise it by starting in 2nd gear, possible if you are careful.

It does improve when warm but never goes away altogether.

Its a pain, and my last car Ford Mondeo (petrol) was the same.

I have the same issue with 2nd and 3rd gear. It helps when you match engine revs while changing down (synchros related?). I had the issue shortly after I bought (10k on the clock) it and was back to Toyota for 2 days. They said new gearbox fitted. Now the problem is much worst but they say it is "normal". I doubt it is oil as it was OK for a while and oil was not changed.

I dont know if your gearbox uses the same oil as my Avensis T-180? But I had terrible problems (When cold) getting it into 1st gear and it always crunched in 2nd untill the box oil got hotter, so what I did was change the oil to Fuch's (Silkolene) Pro SRG double ester racing oil (Straight 75w grade) and now It goes into gear without any problems and the 2nd gear crunch only happens once in a blue moon! and nothing like the crunch I had before!...

i also had a problem with my 2010 sr but wouldnt go into 4th properly or crunches in at highish revs,

took it to mr t who adjusted the cables 3 time and its alot better now, they also said because they have fitted 6 gears into a box that was ment for 5 its near impossable to get a smooth box, it was a compromise between 2nd and 4th

• 2 weeks later...

I have the same problem too and I thought it was only on my car. I have trouble shifting from 1st to 2nd gear in a smooth motion.

Forum double posted and we can no longer delete out own posts...

Edited by Karma Supra

Before you set off slip it into third third, then double declutch into second, then double declutch into first. Usually makes it smoother through the gears until it warms up.

I've onlt ever had to do this in old cars or cars with clunky gearboxes made for taking serious poower... nothing as hum drum as an Auris.

Its very common on this car. Mine does it in the cold too. Its part of the charm of owning a modern car :lol:

Me too mines the same, fine once warmed up.

• 8 years later...

My is fine when cold it’s when warm 2 gear very hard to get in and some cases from first to second  dangerous as you need to change quickly 

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links