Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Avensis Won't Rev Over 3500 Rpm

Avensis luna 03

Hi all.

I have a 1999 Avensis 1.6 petrol 4AFE engine. 140,000 miles on the clock.

In the past few weeks, when running at normal operating temperature, the engine won't rev past about 3,500 rpm. I say "about" as sometimes it could max out at 3,000 rpm, sometimes at 4,000 rpm.

The engine runs normally up to the time it reaches normal operating temp. No problem red-lining it and no misfiring.

When hot, engine speed will increase without any problem up to the 3,500 rpm or so, but then stutters just like the rev limiter is reached. On occasion, the Engine Management Light will come on momentarily but no fault code is stored, so that's no help.

The Spark plug leads and the O2 sensor were replaced about 30,000 miles ago. Car is in great shape, and runs perfectly, besides.

Any ideas? Any help would be very much appreciated and Thanks in advance.

I wonder if you have a crank sensor issue?

Another member had a different running problem and he had codes, but none pointed to the crank sensor. He checked it - he had a problem with it before. I suggested it then but he have gone through everything to eventually find the problem.

Give it a go.

I wonder if you have a crank sensor issue?

Another member had a different running problem and he had codes, but none pointed to the crank sensor. He checked it - he had a problem with it before. I suggested it then but he have gone through everything to eventually find the problem.

Give it a go.

Cheers mate. The crank sensor has come up in internet searches of the symptoms. It's an expensive piece though. I don't suppose there is any way of checking it other than replacing it?. Pity it wouldn't give the fault code!!

• 2 weeks later...

An Update for the benefit of anyone who might have the same problem. Picked up a new Crank Position Sensor today and just fitted it this evening. All sorted. Car is running perfectly again.

Special thanks to Konrad C once again for the reply and the 'spot on' diagnosis.