Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Bulge In Roof Strip On Nrg

Antiquary

On our Rav4 NRG a bulge has developed in the plastic strip that runs back from the top corner of the windscreen to the roof bar mount.

I asked for advice from local dealer and they suggested badly fitted windscreen.

The windscreen was replaced more than 5 years ago but the bulge has only developed recently. I am unable to see how to push the plastic back (have tried a good thump with hand) in or how it is secured in the first place.

Do any of you experienced owners have any suggestions?

Many thanks.

I shall get my camera out and include. Can't think why I didn't put a photo in before :ermm:

Thank you for your speedy reply!

Here is a dreadful picture, sorry. Funny enough instead of trying to push it back in I gave it a genltle pull and the whole thing came out in my hand.

It looks as if a small black adhesive pad at the front end has lost its stickyness and the strip has distorted.

post-96721-0-93028000-1327413933_thumb.j

Have you checked under the roof rail mount to see if it will slide back a bit?

Is this a 4.2 rav? if so I did the exact same thing.........It is suposed to clip in, but for some reason would not, I think a little bit of plastic was broken, plus me pulling at it bent it upwards a little so would not fit flush.

I pulled it out from windscreen side a little just to clean out the glue and squeezed some Tiger seal in.I sealed/glued it down with Tiger Seal and held it down with parcel tape for 24hrs....and now is as good as new.

It seemed to have been glued with this stuff origionaly............or like you say a sticky pad

Thank you all.

I shall havea go with some glue. I'm a great fan of Fernox LS-X for sticking things. It sets quickly, is thick and you can pull it apart later if you need to.

I wish this RAV was like my 18 year old one, it only ever blotts its record when the engine floods and it takes ages to get going again, especially if parked facing upward on a slope. It has only done this 3 times though.

Not sure about Fernox LS-X???? it has to be very adhesive/waterproof/and flexiable. Like silicon bathroom sealant but with extra stickyness?

LS-X is meant for sealing wet leaks in plumbing or as a jointing compound. Good for those little weeps that old rediators develop. But I use it for all sorts of things. If you need a quick pad of rubbery substance it's very handy.

Thanks again for your replies.

Thought I would give the rubber strip a wash before refitting so into the kitchen sink it went, interesting to note that even in hand hot water it becomes as pliable as a jelly fish. There is a thin steel rod that runs along the length embedded in the strip and this maintains some stiffness :dontgetit: I think while it is hot I can get the bulge out before refitting. I wonder what happens in a car wash?

Mines been ok since I glued it, Forgot all about it until your post. I`ve been through a few sainsbuys car washes also and its still there.

Dont loose the bit as I imagine it would cost a fortune from Toyota.............You`d probably have to buy the roof with it :D