Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

4.2 D4D "power Heater" - Info, Please

Tech01

Hi,

Might have to leave this as a WIP at the mo, can't seem to find the model with these plugs I think it could be Hilux maybe being a working tool its not so important,had a good look around a 4.3 today and no plugs visable, one can only asume at this stage that anchomans explantion on this to be right.

• 11 years later...
  • Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• jedi134

• Tech01

• anchorman

• hedleyf

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

On 1/28/2012 at 5:14 PM, Tech01 said:

Hi Jedi,

Well, thanks for this. It's the first time I've seen any diagrammatic reference to the PTC. Well done, my friend!

My Toyota Repair Manual is RM777E (May 2000), and this only shows the standard heater radiator (87107 in your diagram). Don did suggest that the PTC facility appeared later on, so perhaps that's why my manual doesn't cover it. And neither does my Toyota EWD416F (May 2000) wiring diagram manual. (I bought all these manuals in early 2004, and they were then the latest available.) Which publication did you find your heater parts diagram in? And is there a wiring diagram detail as well?

So far as current consumption goes, you've come to the same question I did originally: what (if anything) might all this current drain be doing to upset other things?

My interest in the PTC was originally triggered by several folk complaining of poor cold starting, and I've had this myself the winter before last when the battery seemed able to turn the starter ok, but the engine just didn't want to fire up. I got sidetracked onto all sorts . . . glowplugs, fuel filter, fuel delivery pump, etc etc. Turned out that all it needed was a new battery (after 7 years!).

But one obvious scenario to avoid, I guess, is to get into a very cold car, and unthinkingly to wind the heater up to maximum, and then to try to start it! This would be made even worse if you'd also put the headlights etc. on too. So the moral seems to be, now we know the device is there, be wise enough to activate it only after you've got the engine running.

My Fluke-alike only goes to 10A too, so I had to dig out a 1960s-vintage Smiths dash ammeter, and use that. What I will do during the week is hook it back in, and see what happens to the current when the system warms up, and also check what happens when you do a restart at full working temperature.

Chris

Hi Tech01,

I understand i'm 11 years late to this conversation, but do you still have the RM777E manual? I am unable to find a download or a physical copy to buy anywhere online, and if by some miracle you happen to see this message, do let me know!

Thanks!!

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links