Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Diesel 2Ad Engine - Doom And Gloom

crustyclam

OK so when i bought my Diesel RAV4 i was quite excited and thought i was buying a robust and reliable vehicle that would see me good for a number of years.

However since making my first post here i have had a good read through a number of threads listing a multitude of issue. Now i am not so sure i made the right choice. My main concern is the oil burning / coolant issue.

Like myself many other people i will generally only post when have an issue, these are many of the posts i see when i look around this site.

So what I'd like to know is how many have (or had) a Diesel RAV4 with the 2AD engine that has high milage and not really suffered any drastic engine problems. Are the odd few just unlucky?

As my vehicle is 2006 (registered june / july) i guess i have untill 2013 for the engine to be covered under the 7 year extended warranty. By then i will likely be hitting around 74k. It is crossing my mind to sell on before this point.

• Replies 241
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• jedi134

• CharlieFarlie

• crustyclam

• Mistermena

I can only apologise for My postings about My experiences with My T180.. Don has rightly pulled Me up on another thread for the negativity that has arisen from My postings..

BUT...

I'm damned if I do and I'm damned if I don't post..

I post what has happened and what is happening.. I do not post to hack People off. If I say something bad its a negative and some may not be happy.. If I don't and some else has the problem and I then say I had that then I've failed to warn...

The Rav is a brilliant all-round package and IMHO in T180 guise a truly cracking car.. But sadly it does have inescapable issues..

It seems to Me that most engines that are going to fail do so around the 50,000 mile mark. So perhaps and hopefully Your one is past that window !!

You do of course still have that warranty in place,,,

I can only apologise for emphasiseing Charlies negativity....and jumping on the oil burning band wagon.....

But............

I canni help myself :help:

Yoda

Charlie is big and he has a gun.

Crusty.

You have nothing to worry about. If you like I will arrange for your car to be checked to see if it qualifies for a new engine (at Macclesfield). If it qualifies you will get the latest spec engine FOC.

And your at the moment on an advert for Vodaphone!!!!!!!

Regards Clare

Well mines done just over the 60,000 mile mark and not having had it for a long time its hard to judge if i have this potential issue.

Its just had a service so oil is fully topped up. I will be keeping an eye on it. No puffs of smoke, even if i put my foot to the floor.

Looking at the service history i can see why the last chap may have considered trading it in .....the total bill came to a whopping £1751.

That was for a 50,000 service, aircon regass, sundries like filters / bulbs. Brake fluid change. Converter manifold. New Particulate filter. New EGR. One new run flat.

Hopefully that work will save me a few pounds.

I agree though its a Fab vehicle, a total joy to drive.

I can only apologise for My postings about My experiences with My T180.. Don has rightly pulled Me up on another thread for the negativity that has arisen from My postings.. BUT... I'm damned if I do and I'm damned if I don't post.. I post what has happened and what is happening.. I do not post to hack People off. If I say something bad its a negative and some may not be happy.. If I don't and some else has the problem and I then say I had that then I've failed to warn... The Rav is a brilliant all-round package and IMHO in T180 guise a truly cracking car.. But sadly it does have inescapable issues.. It seems to Me that most engines that are going to fail do so around the 50,000 mile mark. So perhaps and hopefully Your one is past that window !! You do of course still have that warranty in place,,,

No apologie needed, without these posts i wouldn't be aware of the problems. Every post about a problem is likely helping someone else. I can now keep my eyes open knowing the potential issues....it will get me into the habit of checking my oil.

Yoda

Charlie is big and he has a gun.

Crusty.

You have nothing to worry about. If you like I will arrange for your car to be checked to see if it qualifies for a new engine (at Macclesfield). If it qualifies you will get the latest spec engine FOC.

Very kind offer. I shall be keeping an eye on my oil first...fingers crossed all ok.

Will still be good to hear from other users of higher milage 2AD engines

Well mines done just over the 60,000 mile mark and not having had it for a long time its hard to judge if i have this potential issue.

Its just had a service so oil is fully topped up. I will be keeping an eye on it. No puffs of smoke, even if i put my foot to the floor.

Looking at the service history i can see why the last chap may have considered trading it in .....the total bill came to a whopping £1751.

That was for a 50,000 service, aircon regass, sundries like filters / bulbs. Brake fluid change. Converter manifold. New Particulate filter. New EGR. One new run flat.

Lee,

Converter manifold / Paticulate Filter DPF / EGR : is there any mention in the paperwork you have re these 3 being done under warranty, or did the last poor bgr have to pay the full whack of that bill....? All of these being replaced would almost certainly point to a build up of carbon, and we all by this time know what that normally points to......deffo keep an eye on oil level as discussed and Anchs' offer will hopefully be unnecessary.

Big Kev

..............and if you are using supermarket fuel stop or there will be all the same work to do again.

To answer the original question, I love my RAV 07 plate, 67k miles), think it's the most practical, sensible, capable vehicle around. But it has had to have new injectors, new brake discs plus several skims, and I too have oil and coolant worries, although oil consumption is below the maximum given in the owner's manual (1 litre per 1000 km which seems excessive to me). Oil consumption seems to occur in big gulps rather than gradually - strange. The coolant level has recently dropped to just above the min level. I took the car to my local dealer last week and I am doing the '1000 mile' test.

My mother's car, identical to mine, gulps oil in the same way, to the point where the warning light came on very soon after a service.

Lee,

Converter manifold / Paticulate Filter DPF / EGR : is there any mention in the paperwork you have re these 3 being done under warranty, or did the last poor bgr have to pay the full whack of that bill....? All of these being replaced would almost certainly point to a build up of carbon, and we all by this time know what that normally points to......deffo keep an eye on oil level as discussed and Anchs' offer will hopefully be unnecessary.

Big Kev

Nope it was payed for, it had the mastercard reciept stapled to the invoice. That is one big ouch.

Lee,

Big Kev

Nope it was payed for, it had the mastercard reciept stapled to the invoice. That is one big ouch.

To answer the original question, I love my RAV 07 plate, 67k miles), think it's the most practical, sensible, capable vehicle around. But it has had to have new injectors, new brake discs plus several skims, and I too have oil and coolant worries, although oil consumption is below the maximum given in the owner's manual (1 litre per 1000 km which seems excessive to me). Oil consumption seems to occur in big gulps rather than gradually - strange. The coolant level has recently dropped to just above the min level. I took the car to my local dealer last week and I am doing the '1000 mile' test.

My mother's car, identical to mine, gulps oil in the same way, to the point where the warning light came on very soon after a service.

Thats interesting about the fact it gulps, prehaps diffeerent driving styles contrbute to how its used.

..............and if you are using supermarket fuel stop or there will be all the same work to do again.

My first tank of fuel was supermarket, but after reading posts on here i have changed to using fuel from BP which is the closest non supermarket garage.

I'll try and top up at Shell if i can as thats right next to a tesco garage so prices are the same , and slightly cheaper than my local BP.

One benefit as someone else mentioned on a previous post is the queues are smaller.

Regards Clare

That is quite right young Clare, Even seasoned jedi like myself are feeling the pain of the economic downturn, we have to grab what works comes our way.

I was lucky in getting this cameo roll for Vodaphone........Only because Han Solo rang in sick.........We were in that bar again and thats were I left him :meet: :drunk:

I was the worse for wear when we did that shoot as you may well tell.............But I troopered on.......After all a jedi`s work is never done :nono:

Maybe you would like to join me and learn the jedi ways...........Together we can leave Rav world, and go forth into the Toyota universe........fighting for peace and justice against the evils of the darkside. :wub:

No apologie needed, without these posts i wouldn't be aware of the problems. Every post about a problem is likely helping someone else. I can now keep my eyes open knowing the potential issues....it will get me into the habit of checking my oil.

Does that mean I can go forth and spread the Evils of this engine and its potentionaly Home losing effects of some poor unsuspecting sole?

Will still be good to hear from other users of higher milage 2AD engines

I belive the words "Like Rocking Horse !Removed!" are needed here :D

Regards Clare

That is quite right young Clare, Even seasoned jedi like myself are feeling the pain of the economic downturn, we have to grab what works comes our way.

I was lucky in getting this cameo roll for Vodaphone........Only because Han Solo rang in sick.........We were in that bar again and thats were I left him :meet: :drunk:

I was the worse for wear when we did that shoot as you may well tell.............But I troopered on.......After all a jedi`s work is never done :nono:

Maybe you would like to join me and learn the jedi ways...........Together we can leave Rav world, and go forth into the Toyota universe........fighting for peace and justice against the evils of the darkside. :wub:

Lol!... I've now turned to the "Dark side of the force" as its far more fun! :ph34r: :lol2:

I am slowy finding my bearings in there......Some very interesting characters.......I may get my little jedi a$$ kicked and have to retreat to the busom of rav world...................But I will endeavour and push forwards.

May the force be with you

My first tank of fuel was supermarket, but after reading posts on here i have changed to using fuel from BP which is the closest non supermarket garage.

I'll try and top up at Shell if i can as thats right next to a tesco garage so prices are the same , and slightly cheaper than my local BP.

One benefit as someone else mentioned on a previous post is the queues are smaller.

Lee Use the top grade diesel. Shell Vpower or BP Ultimate. My car goes a lot farther when filled with these posh fuels. I do a lot of longish distance driving in Mt 2006 T180 and the benefit of the extra distance the car will go on a tankful far outweighs the extra cost at the pump. Plus You know You are putting in the best fuel available...

BP Ultimate at the Forth Road bridge was £147 per litre on That is £6.61 for a gallon !!Sunday morning ... F....F......F.........Flaming hell...................

Yep Charlies engine runs great with the super fuels.............dont buy the cheap supermarket ones as your engine will start burning oil...................... :P

Charlie, we pay £1.48 per litre for ordinary Total or Manx petroleum (Shell) diesel overhere, but we don,t get V Power!!!!!!! mores the pity.

Regards Clare

So Clare..... will you be joining me in my adventure over to the Darkside of the forum ..... I feel the force is strong with you..........and with the help of your 3 legs we can run rings round them all :flowers:

Yep I noticed that today also, everywhere seems to have gone up 2p

Must have something to do with that oil refinery shutting down............just a scam to make more money probably

Fuel prices are getting crazy

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links