Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Diesel 2Ad Engine - Doom And Gloom

crustyclam

DPF arn't that cheap! On my invoice for my car they are £688.63 and I believe that without VAT or fitting!... My mate Acetip is correct...

Just reread and it actually says NEW PARTICULAR FILTER - £179, prehaps thats something different

• Replies 241
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• jedi134

• CharlieFarlie

• crustyclam

• Mistermena

No idea mate!... All i can say is what mine says!... Could be very different prices for parts? Who knows

Crusty

Are you saying a Jaguar dealership rebuilt a Toyota engine and billed Toyota?

Like Kev, I would want to know exactly what was done and by whom.

Crusty Are you saying a Jaguar dealership rebuilt a Toyota engine and billed Toyota? Like Kev, I would want to know exactly what was done and by whom.

No i bought my car from a Jag dealer, part of the Jardine Group. They came and picked by car up from where i work and took it to a Toyota dealer in Durham, which is also part of the Jardine Group.

The car was then dropped off to me after coming straight from the Toyota Dealer. I asked the driver what was done and he told me to ring the service manager at Jag. I did he wasn't there so i left a message to find out what was replaced.

I got a call this morning from someone in the service department at Jaguar to tell me what was done. I guess i should asked if it was specifically a change of the top part, or a strip down.

I guess i was so happy i didn't care.

I will ring the service department and find out for sure.

Crusty Are you saying a Jaguar dealership rebuilt a Toyota engine and billed Toyota? Like Kev, I would want to know exactly what was done and by whom.

No i bought my car from a Jag dealer, part of the Jardine Group. They came and picked by car up from where i work and took it to a Toyota dealer in Durham, which is also part of the Jardine Group.

The car was then dropped off to me after coming straight from the Toyota Dealer. I asked the driver what was done and he told me to ring the service manager at Jag. I did he wasn't there so i left a message to find out what was replaced.

I got a call this morning from someone in the service department at Jaguar to tell me what was done. I guess i should asked if it was specifically a change of the top part, or a strip down.

Your Jaguar garage AND Toyota Dealership are to be commended on this Lee, but IMHO it is imperative that you personally (not the Jag dealer...) have a paper chain copy of exactly what has been done to your car. Finding out details even of the (possible STILL TO BE CONFIMED...?) FIRST engine rebuild should also be merely a case of politely asking this thus far exemplary Toyota Dealer to print it off for you.

Godz forbid you have any further problems down the line, but any subsequent warranty claims on what may be two major intrusions on your engine better be documented at BOTH sides,,,que?

All done like Kenny Everett...in the best possible taste (and intentions),

Big Kev

Your Jaguar garage AND Toyota Dealership are to be commended on this Lee, but IMHO it is imperative that you personally (not the Jag dealer...) have a paper chain copy of exactly what has been done to your car. Finding out details even of the (possible STILL TO BE CONFIMED...?) FIRST engine rebuild should also be merely a case of politely asking this thus far exemplary Toyota Dealer to print it off for you.

Godz forbid you have any further problems down the line, but any subsequent warranty claims on what may be two major intrusions on your engine better be documented at BOTH sides,,,que?

All done like Kenny Everett...in the best possible taste (and intentions),

Big Kev

I agree it does make sense in what you say. If they won't provide (which i am sure they will as they have been very helpful) Quoting Kenny again if they don't "put em in a field and bomb the b*******".

What a great show that was

My call was returned this morning by a very helpful chap.

The short block has been replaced. When they checked my vehicle over it had very low coolant. They carried out further investigations around the coolant loss and it was deemd that this work was required.

They are sending the paperwork out to me.

Anyway all i can say once again i am very pleased wit the level of service and backup i have received.

I take it by Short block You mean 3/4 engine ? Which in Toyota speak means a complete engine from the rocker cover down to the sump ??

A short engine block suggests just that ? The short engine block would be the engine from the cylinder head down and would not include pistons and crank ect..

Have You been given a new engine number ? If not why not as its Your duty to inform DVLA of any changes is this department .....

Sorry but this thread is just getting increasingly confusing ...

I take it by Short block You mean 3/4 engine ? Which in Toyota speak means a complete engine from the rocker cover down to the sump ??

A short engine block suggests just that ? The short engine block would be the engine from the cylinder head down and would not include pistons and crank ect..

Have You been given a new engine number ? If not why not as its Your duty to inform DVLA of any changes is this department .....

Sorry but this thread is just getting increasingly confusing ...

I'll be getting the paperwork within a few days so i can list of what its says.

I checked regarding the engine number and they said it will have changed but they notify DVLA.

A short engine in the trade consists of the block complete with crank, rods and pistons ready built.

A 3/4 engine in Toyota speak is the above plus the cylinder head but no injectors or ancillarys etc.

I am led to believe that Toyota are now rebuilding warranty 2ad engines again at the dealerships.

Pete.

A short engine in the trade consists of the block complete with crank, rods and pistons ready built.

A 3/4 engine in Toyota speak is the above plus the cylinder head but no injectors or ancillarys etc.

I am led to believe that Toyota are now rebuilding warranty 2ad engines again at the dealerships.

Pete.

....not good tidings, Pedro.....hopefully not the case, but you're normally pretty accurate on yer informistics....

Big Kev

Pete.

....not good tidings, Pedro.....hopefully not the case, but you're normally pretty accurate on yer informistics....

Big Kev

Aaah much clearer now. ( Don't know much about engines) , I assume the issues with coolant leaking and oil burning revolve around the short engine workings then, so does it really matter if only that bits replaced. Whilst i guess it would be nice to have all new...not really necessary?

Pete.

Totally agree Pete but Short block was mentioned,,, Not short engine.

The Dealer will not change the the engine numbers with DVLA as they are not allowed to do it. It has to be done by the Owner / Registered Keeper Who has the responsibility to do it. The new number along with a declaration and Reg doc has to be sent in as well..

If You choose not to do this then be sure to keep a note of that new engine number in case ( In My case) the engine fails again as trying to read the number off the block is impossible as there is so much stuff in the way...

If You are not sure what's been done then lift the bonnet and have a look ? If the engine has been replaced it will look brand new.. Or pull out the dipstick and if the oil is crystal clear then its a new motor..

A short engine in the trade consists of the block complete with crank, rods and pistons ready built. A 3/4 engine in Toyota speak is the above plus the cylinder head but no injectors or ancillarys etc. I am led to believe that Toyota are now rebuilding warranty 2ad engines again at the dealerships. Pete.
Totally agree Pete but Short block was mentioned,,, Not short engine. The Dealer will not change the the engine numbers with DVLA as they are not allowed to do it. It has to be done by the Owner / Registered Keeper Who has the responsibility to do it. The new number along with a declaration and Reg doc has to be sent in as well.. If You choose not to do this then be sure to keep a note of that new engine number in case ( In My case) the engine fails again as trying to read the number off the block is impossible as there is so much stuff in the way... If You are not sure what's been done then lift the bonnet and have a look ? If the engine has been replaced it will look brand new.. Or pull out the dipstick and if the oil is crystal clear then its a new motor..

Could have sworn he said short block, but I wouldn't testify to that.

I checked the oil yesterday and really struggled to see it, i had to check and redip a few times just to be sure, it was very clear.

I tried to locate engine number but as you say, its impossible to see

Not sure why the service department told me they would notify DVLA. I'll wait till the paperwork arrives and see if its listed on that.

If not I'll get back on to them and request it. Very strange.

The engine number is on the right hand side of the block just above the sump.. Even with inspection mirrors I still cannot see enough of it to read it...

If Your oil is as clean as said then the engine has to have been replaced or stripped completely.. The outside of the engine will be a dead give away though Mate as it will look .. Errr Well brand new. If duller looking or looks like its been there for a while then it may have been rebuilt.

There is much confusion whether the Dealers are rebuilding again rather than replacing the unit with one that has arrived crated from Japan..

The plastic cover on top of Your engine simply pulls upwards to remove. Why not pull it off and have a look ? It really is a doddle to remove and pop back on again..

The engine number is on the right hand side of the block just above the sump.. Even with inspection mirrors I still cannot see enough of it to read it... If Your oil is as clean as said then the engine has to have been replaced or stripped completely.. The outside of the engine will be a dead give away though Mate as it will look .. Errr Well brand new. If duller looking or looks like its been there for a while then it may have been rebuilt. There is much confusion whether the Dealers are rebuilding again rather than replacing the unit with one that has arrived crated from Japan.. The plastic cover on top of Your engine simply pulls upwards to remove. Why not pull it off and have a look ? It really is a doddle to remove and pop back on again..

I'll pull it off tomorrow and see how the engine looks.

Thanks for your advice.

Pete.

Big Kev

Well good tidings to you Big Kev!

The info came from reliable Toyota Tech friend of the family but ....... what he didn't make clear, is it just previously dealer rebuilt engines being done for the second time will be done there again? I will ask again but I assume our friend Ormi would also know the answer.

Regards .... Pete.

The engine number is on the right hand side of the block just above the sump.. Even with inspection mirrors I still cannot see enough of it to read it... If Your oil is as clean as said then the engine has to have been replaced or stripped completely.. The outside of the engine will be a dead give away though Mate as it will look .. Errr Well brand new. If duller looking or looks like its been there for a while then it may have been rebuilt. There is much confusion whether the Dealers are rebuilding again rather than replacing the unit with one that has arrived crated from Japan.. The plastic cover on top of Your engine simply pulls upwards to remove. Why not pull it off and have a look ? It really is a doddle to remove and pop back on again..

I'll pull it off tomorrow and see how the engine looks.

Thanks for your advice.

99% Certain it will be the 3/4 engine and all will be just spot on !! I don't know why they call it 3/4 engine... To all intents and purposes it is a full engine less the ancillary s like Turbo ,Alternator and all the other bolt on parts..

There has been quite quite a bit of speculation over whether or not Toyota have reverted to the original way of dealing with the engine issue.. Originally and up to mid 2011 engines were stripped and rebuilt at the Dealers.. On economic grounds after mid 11 engines were re manufactured or sometimes new engines were shipped over from Japan on crates ready to fit.

No rumour and speculation says that after some of these Japan supplied engines are having issues.. And that it is possible that it will now be dealt with in the old way IE Pre 2011.......

I have spoken at length with the Dealers and TGB to try and work out exactly what the situation is as My replacement engine is burning more oil than the old one..........

Ok, it looks brand spanking new on the short engine block, the very top part 'cylinder head or what ever its called' looks to be old.

shortengineblock.jpg

Lee Your right it does indeed look like Toyota have fitted a short block....

This leads Me to believe that as I have been told (Unconfirmed and I best not say by whom) that Toyota are in most cases reverting back to Dealer rebuilds as quite a few Japan engines are failing ........

Yep!... That looks like a new block and they've re-used the cams and rocker cover I suspect!...

Yep!... That looks like a new block and they've re-used the cams and rocker cover I suspect!...

Whoooaaaaaa!!

Stop jumping to conclusions chaps!

3/4 engines are still being fitted, nothing has reverted back

Some 3/4 engines come with cam covers that look used, probably been recycled by the factory, the 3/4 engine still comes built etc etc, it is not a short block even though the covers look used

We do not know what was fitted in this vehicle yet (do we?) I have missed a bit of the thread through being out of the office

Kingo :thumbsup:

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links