Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Diesel 2Ad Engine - Doom And Gloom

crustyclam

• Replies 241
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• jedi134

• CharlieFarlie

• crustyclam

• Mistermena

I ent going to google biguns ,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Save ya the bother... its the opposite of `littleuns`

Tell Yer what Jedi .. If Yer really want to know what's in Posh diesel pin back Yer lug oles ...............................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................,,,Ready ????????................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................... STUFF !!!!!!............................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................

If I told You any more deff would be iminant

Bang on dervdave........I asked the guy who works in petrol or what ever it is (read the thread) again thanks dervdave!

I asked what do they actually put in super fuels?

And suprise! Suprise! He went mute!............................????

Who went mute ???????????????????

Tell Yer what Jedi .. If Yer really want to know what's in Posh diesel pin back Yer lug oles ...............................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................,,,Ready ????????................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................... STUFF !!!!!!............................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................

Well, in VPower Diesel, STUFF like this:

3. COMPOSITION/INFORMATION ON INGREDIENTS

Preparation Description : Complex mixture of hydrocarbons consisting of paraffins,

cycloparaffins, aromatic and olefinic hydrocarbons with carbon

numbers predominantly in the C9 to C25 range. May also

contain several additives at <0.1% v/v each. May contain

cetane improver (Ethyl Hexyl Nitrate) at <0.2% v/v.

May contain catalytically cracked oils in which polycyclic

aromatic compounds, mainly 3-ring but some 4- to 6-ring

species are present.

Hazardous Components

Chemical Identity CAS EINECS Symbol(s) R-phrase(s) Conc.

Fuels, diesel, no.2 68476-34-6 270-676-1 Xn, N

R40; R65;

R66; R51/53

< 100,00 %

Additional Information : Dyes and markers can be used to indicate tax status and

prevent fraud.

Refer to chapter 16 for full text of EC R-phrases.

Taken from here: http://www.epc.shell...ds_00105593.PDF

I suspect that is likely to be the nearest we'll get unless we can find a mole in one of the petrochemical companies :unsure:

Well, in VPower Diesel, STUFF like this:

3. COMPOSITION/INFORMATION ON INGREDIENTS

Preparation Description : Complex mixture of hydrocarbons consisting of paraffins,

cycloparaffins, aromatic and olefinic hydrocarbons with carbon

numbers predominantly in the C9 to C25 range. May also

contain several additives at <0.1% v/v each. May contain

cetane improver (Ethyl Hexyl Nitrate) at <0.2% v/v.

May contain catalytically cracked oils in which polycyclic

aromatic compounds, mainly 3-ring but some 4- to 6-ring

species are present.

Hazardous Components

Chemical Identity CAS EINECS Symbol(s) R-phrase(s) Conc.

Fuels, diesel, no.2 68476-34-6 270-676-1 Xn, N

R40; R65;

R66; R51/53

< 100,00 %

Additional Information : Dyes and markers can be used to indicate tax status and

prevent fraud.

Refer to chapter 16 for full text of EC R-phrases.

Taken from here: http://www.epc.shell...ds_00105593.PDF

I suspect that is likely to be the nearest we'll get unless we can find a mole in one of the petrochemical companies :unsure:

All that more than likely equates to petrol and oil? Most probably some sort of 2 stroke.

I would search all of those ingtedients but im on a crap phone, and cant be a$$ed.

Why are you confused? Its quite simple, they are still fitting 3/4 engines and they may consume fully synthetic oil. Well done Crusty - looking good.
Why confused ? On another thread Don You insisted that the engines will not consume oil Toyota that's both the dealer and TGB say the engine should not burn oil. Now You say they can burn oil ...... From the other thread Using thin oil doesn't make any difference to oil consumption or protection. You cannot compress a fluid, using a lower viscosity allows you to pump it around very small spaces very quickly and reduces friction so increasing economy. Does this help to explain My confusion ??
I don't know what I've said to confuse you Charlie. The spec for these T180 engines is B2 (look in the data sheets pinned). I know for a fact that Guy was sold B2 oil for his T180 because I changed it for him (Kev has seen the bottle). It seems that some people are fitting C2 low ash oil in early models but in fact that is for post 2009 models according to the data sheets. Now I must admit that I was confused for a while with all this oil spec business and I had to do a lot of reading before I started to get the picture. However, we can summarise by saying that B2 is semi-synthetic and C2 is fully synthetic (as far as Toyota are concerned). Neither Guys T180 or any of the other 2AD engines that RRG have fitted for my mates are using (burning) B2 oil but you said that your engine started to use oil after you changed it to C2 oil. It is a fact that fully synthetic oil can make its way into the upper cylinder so given that and your account we can do no other than assume your oil consumption is down to the fully synthetic oil. Unless something failed on your engine at the same time as you changed your oil there is no other explanation as it only started to consume oil from when you put in the fully synthetic. I only know Hoovie with a post 2009 2AD that should have C2 oil in from new so until he gives us some info we don't know if this applies to the new 150 engine. Does it matter if an engine consumes oil? Well clearly it is better if it doesn't but a small amount isn't harmful and fully synthetic oil in a new engine is forgiveable but I would hope it settles after a while. I will photograph my dipstick if I get chance tomorrow and you will see that it has niether moved or changed colour in the 1100 miles it has been in. I don't know why my comment about thin oil is confusing either. It is a fact that very high performance engines go for very thin oil for the reasons stated. I know for a fact that Audi are advocates of 0W/20 oil to aid fuel economy/circulation and it is pumped around very quickly even when very cold. The thickness is irrelevant. You can no more compress water than you can 90s gear oil but you would sieze an engine if you tried to pump gear oil around it. I do feel strongly that significant oil consumption and poor fuel is a recipe for disaster. My mates 57 plate Discovery has to have 2 EGRs fitted that have been knackered by it (according to LR). I don't want to cause any confusion and I don't think I've changed my tune (I can't think what I have posted that sounds that way - can you find it?). Its a shame that you feel uncomfortable about your new engine and I will be sorry to see you change but if you feel so strongly and don't want to wait it really is up to you. I think with all the other niggles you have just lost confidence now - some people are perfectionists and some will tolerate rattles like a bag of pots. I think I am somewhere inbetween although I like everything tickety boo. I used to be manic about rattles and squeaks but driving 22 year old trains cured that.

Good answer Don

Very good answer !!

Let Me say that I have utmost respect for Don and His far far superior knowledge and I always greatly value His opinion ..

But I asked on here before putting the Castrol oil in the car and was assured it was just fine....

The Dealer and TGB also agree its fine and are prepared to fit another engine if it is burning that fully synthetic Castrol oil so who do I believe ?

My intention now is to get this issue sorted and sell the car ASAP. I will not be trading it in as the value of the car is so low now as a trade in it makes My eyes water.......

I really cant wait to get rid now. I have I think gone through enough grief with the car and just simply hate the darn thing now..

I am removing the winter wheels and tyres and all the other gear that I have fitted over the last few months ready to sell the car as none of this kit will add value to it in a private sale....

It seems there is a difference of opinion then regarding the oil and as to wether the using fully synthetic will cause oil to to be 'consumed'.

I guess you are in the perfect position to prove what is reality. If you reverted back to the semi-synthetic and the oil burning stopped, then the answer is clear.

Its obviously a complex issue regarding this oil, it would be good to have a definative answer. Would the toyota garage not be prepared to try this rather than changing components again..... would be much cheaper.

I rang the DVLA and yes you are correct it has to me who notifies about the engine, spoke to the garage again and i will be receiving a letter with the new engine number.

What are you like Jedi?

Now Dave has given you the recipe you will be in the shed making J power diesel.

Don't you go padding it out with that squashy 2 stroke oil - we want some of your 40 grade stiff stuff if you want us to buy it. You'll have Esso head hunting you next.

we want some of your 40 grade stiff stuff if you want us to buy it.

Thanks for the reminder. I was going to say that if a certain person's 4.2 engine is having to run with "thick" 40 grade, then I reckon that his engine is ****ed too and no 112k fall back warranty :P. My 4.2 ran on 5W30 and even 0W30. 60k without using a drop. :)

O its all gone quiet on this thread!

O its all gone quiet on thid thread!

O its all gone quiet!

It's all gone quiet!

It's all gone quiet on this thread!

Gasket!

Ha ha! ;-)

we want some of your 40 grade stiff stuff if you want us to buy it.

Thanks for the reminder. I was go

ing to say that if a certain person's 4.2 engine is having to run with "thick" 40 grade, then I reckon that his engine is ****ed too and no 112k fall back warranty :P. My 4.2 ran on 5W30 and even 0W30. 60k without using a drop. :)

On the contary Mr SHCM.......after changing to 5w/40 Shell helix fully synth, (anchs are you on this other oil ;-)) my rav built as a brick !Removed! house, has not had any problems in 20k miles, and has consumed 0 yes that is a big fat zero oil in that time.

SHCM fancy a who's oil will last the longest in their engine comp? Say over a 10k miles distance?

Gentelmans agreement of course no cheeting and topping up etc. If you have too you have to let us know. Do you think you can manage that distance without a topup?

Also just out of interest what brand was this 5w/30 and 0w/30 oil? You ran in the 4.2

On the contary Mr SHCM.......after changing to 5w/40

Yes, but it should and they do (mine did), run on a lower (when hot) viscosity ("thin" in your words) oil. You are not doing that, because yours "burns thin oil". So, by your own argument you too have an "oil burner". Sounds like a masked problem to me.

Also just out of interest what brand was this 5w/30 and 0w/30 oil? You ran in the 4.2

Castrol I think. It's a long time ago.

But a masked problem, with a cheap and up to now rock soild fix......20k still going strong ,no faults so far :-)

My 4.2 was burning the 0w/30 Castrol SLX oil....they don't make it any more.

As 5w/40 oil is an older spec, so it more than likely hasn't had any of the goodies taken out. Not good for the trees, but the engine will love it.

What year was your 4.2 SHCM

What are you like Jedi?

Now Dave has given you the recipe you will be in the shed making J power diesel.

Don't you go padding it out with that squashy 2 stroke oil - we want some of your 40 grade stiff stuff if you want us to buy it. You'll have Esso head hunting you next.

I have already started prospecting for oil in the garden :-)

Watch this space........jedi super fuels will be on the forecourts soon.........

"feel the force in your engine"

Why are you confused? Its quite simple, they are still fitting 3/4 engines and they may consume fully synthetic oil. Well done Crusty - looking good.
Why confused ? On another thread Don You insisted that the engines will not consume oil Toyota that's both the dealer and TGB say the engine should not burn oil. Now You say they can burn oil ...... From the other thread Using thin oil doesn't make any difference to oil consumption or protection. You cannot compress a fluid, using a lower viscosity allows you to pump it around very small spaces very quickly and reduces friction so increasing economy. Does this help to explain My confusion ??
I don't know what I've said to confuse you Charlie. The spec for these T180 engines is B2 (look in the data sheets pinned). I know for a fact that Guy was sold B2 oil for his T180 because I changed it for him (Kev has seen the bottle). It seems that some people are fitting C2 low ash oil in early models but in fact that is for post 2009 models according to the data sheets. Now I must admit that I was confused for a while with all this oil spec business and I had to do a lot of reading before I started to get the picture. However, we can summarise by saying that B2 is semi-synthetic and C2 is fully synthetic (as far as Toyota are concerned). Neither Guys T180 or any of the other 2AD engines that RRG have fitted for my mates are using (burning) B2 oil but you said that your engine started to use oil after you changed it to C2 oil. It is a fact that fully synthetic oil can make its way into the upper cylinder so given that and your account we can do no other than assume your oil consumption is down to the fully synthetic oil. Unless something failed on your engine at the same time as you changed your oil there is no other explanation as it only started to consume oil from when you put in the fully synthetic. I only know Hoovie with a post 2009 2AD that should have C2 oil in from new so until he gives us some info we don't know if this applies to the new 150 engine. Does it matter if an engine consumes oil? Well clearly it is better if it doesn't but a small amount isn't harmful and fully synthetic oil in a new engine is forgiveable but I would hope it settles after a while. I will photograph my dipstick if I get chance tomorrow and you will see that it has niether moved or changed colour in the 1100 miles it has been in. I don't know why my comment about thin oil is confusing either. It is a fact that very high performance engines go for very thin oil for the reasons stated. I know for a fact that Audi are advocates of 0W/20 oil to aid fuel economy/circulation and it is pumped around very quickly even when very cold. The thickness is irrelevant. You can no more compress water than you can 90s gear oil but you would sieze an engine if you tried to pump gear oil around it. I do feel strongly that significant oil consumption and poor fuel is a recipe for disaster. My mates 57 plate Discovery has to have 2 EGRs fitted that have been knackered by it (according to LR). I don't want to cause any confusion and I don't think I've changed my tune (I can't think what I have posted that sounds that way - can you find it?). Its a shame that you feel uncomfortable about your new engine and I will be sorry to see you change but if you feel so strongly and don't want to wait it really is up to you. I think with all the other niggles you have just lost confidence now - some people are perfectionists and some will tolerate rattles like a bag of pots. I think I am somewhere inbetween although I like everything tickety boo. I used to be manic about rattles and squeaks but driving 22 year old trains cured that.

Good answer Don

Very good answer !!

Let Me say that I have utmost respect for Don and His far far superior knowledge and I always greatly value His opinion ..

But I asked on here before putting the Castrol oil in the car and was assured it was just fine....

The Dealer and TGB also agree its fine and are prepared to fit another engine if it is burning that fully synthetic Castrol oil so who do I believe ?

My intention now is to get this issue sorted and sell the car ASAP. I will not be trading it in as the value of the car is so low now as a trade in it makes My eyes water.......

I really cant wait to get rid now. I have I think gone through enough grief with the car and just simply hate the darn thing now..

I am removing the winter wheels and tyres and all the other gear that I have fitted over the last few months ready to sell the car as none of this kit will add value to it in a private sale....

It seems there is a difference of opinion then regarding the oil and as to wether the using fully synthetic will cause oil to to be 'consumed'.

I guess you are in the perfect position to prove what is reality. If you reverted back to the semi-synthetic and the oil burning stopped, then the answer is clear.

Its obviously a complex issue regarding this oil, it would be good to have a definative answer. Would the toyota garage not be prepared to try this rather than changing components again..... would be much cheaper.

I rang the DVLA and yes you are correct it has to me who notifies about the engine, spoke to the garage again and i will be receiving a letter with the new engine number.

Re..

Would the toyota garage not be prepared to try this rather than changing components again..... would be much cheaper.

I asked and no they wont as they absolutely insist that the engine should not burn the fully synthetic oil....

So its now up to them to decide what happens next...

I think they should give you a brand new top spec rav for free.....its the least they can do.....

Yeh I will mention that ...... B)

Castrol SLX (Long life) was superseaded by Castrol SLX 2 that became Castrol EDGE!... It was the same oil but in new tins, plus a new name!... Marketing eh!!!

Long life!!!!!!! It didnt last very long in my Rav.......I pulled the plug on it and out it came............. :laughing:

I supose I could have also left the engine running......same effect. :spiteful:

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links