Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Diesel 2Ad Engine - Doom And Gloom

crustyclam

Hi Crustyclam,I`ve had my T180 for a little over a year & a half.It`s a 56 reg & had 49K on the clock when purchased.The head gasket went after about 6 months,repaired under the 12 months warranty.In the 12 months since not a hint of a problem.(Thats probably put the mockers on it).We have only done about 10K since we bought it,we use the wifes Fiesta for local trips.I`ve taken out the 3 year extended Toyota warranty,bought a spare wheel,with TPMS installed,so hopefully all eventuallities have been covered.Breakdown automatically comes with the warranty.The T180 is great for towing,we have a 2 berth caravan & get out mainly around Shropshire/Herefordshire,beautiful countryside.Even with all this talk of oil gobbling & new engines, I have every faith in my own vehicle & if problems do occur I have every faith in Toyota & my local dealer to sort them out.

BJK

• Replies 241
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• jedi134

• CharlieFarlie

• crustyclam

• Mistermena

I have every faith in my own vehicle & if problems do occur I have every faith in Toyota & my local dealer to sort them out.

Best of luck and sure your faith won`t be misplaced Brian ;)

The recent increase in fuel is apparently linked to the EU taking sanctions against Iran. If the Iranians block the Persian Gulf and stop fuel coming out of the Oil producers there we will be paying a pretty penny for a litre!!!!!! Some guesstimate £1.90 per ltr

Regards Clare

Let them have the bomb I say......................if prices go to that price here...... we will have our own wars

Regards jedi wish i had 3 legs

If you use supermarket fuel often, then the car will start to smoke. (white-gray smoke effect). The DPNR system doesn't like these kind of fuels, just the V Power or the BP Ultimante will do. (low or ultra low sulphur diesel) I know this by experience.

Inverness BP filling station: Ultimate diesel: £1.459 per liter

There is a big problem. There isn't a BP or Shell filling station anywhere north from Inverness. :crybaby:

No apologie needed, without these posts i wouldn't be aware of the problems. Every post about a problem is likely helping someone else. I can now keep my eyes open knowing the potential issues....it will get me into the habit of checking my oil.

Does that mean I can go forth and spread the Evils of this engine and its potentionaly Home losing effects of some poor unsuspecting sole?

Will still be good to hear from other users of higher milage 2AD engines

I belive the words "Like Rocking Horse !Removed!" are needed here :D

Just remember if its a negative comment, do it twice. Apparently 2 negatives make a positive. Never understood that really, but hey ho!

Hi Crustyclam,I`ve had my T180 for a little over a year & a half.It`s a 56 reg & had 49K on the clock when purchased.The head gasket went after about 6 months,repaired under the 12 months warranty.In the 12 months since not a hint of a problem.(Thats probably put the mockers on it).We have only done about 10K since we bought it,we use the wifes Fiesta for local trips.I`ve taken out the 3 year extended Toyota warranty,bought a spare wheel,with TPMS installed,so hopefully all eventuallities have been covered.Breakdown automatically comes with the warranty.The T180 is great for towing,we have a 2 berth caravan & get out mainly around Shropshire/Herefordshire,beautiful countryside.Even with all this talk of oil gobbling & new engines, I have every faith in my own vehicle & if problems do occur I have every faith in Toyota & my local dealer to sort them out.

BJK

thanks for info, its good to build an overall picture of everyones experience and repairs.

i will definately be using premium fuel from this day forth, did a compare between BP ulltimate and Shell V Power.

From the results BP had a higher sulpher content....what relevance is this?

Sorry to hijack the thread but all this talk of not using supermarket fuel has got me thinking. Does this apply to petrol engines as well? I'm filling my 2.0 VVTi at the local Asda cos it's much cheaper but if this is a false economy due to poor quality fuel I'd like to know please :-)

Sorry to hijack the thread but all this talk of not using supermarket fuel has got me thinking. Does this apply to petrol engines as well? I'm filling my 2.0 VVTi at the local Asda cos it's much cheaper but if this is a false economy due to poor quality fuel I'd like to know please :-)

Some find theres no difference and others would never use supermarket fuels.

You pays your money and takes yor choice

I didnt notice any difference running super fuels but then the 4.2 diesel engine but this is no flying machine, Maybe it makes a difference in modern high powered engines.

I have copied and pasted the following from another thread. These are My comments Re Fuel..

Vpower diesel is about 5 pence a litre more than ordinary diesel so X say 60 litres that's 3 quid..

My regular commute from Scotlandshire to the Midlands 360 miles. Same rout taken each and every time .. Same 75 MPH on all motorway sections on cruise control. All A and B roads driven carefully changing gear nice and early keeping revs low ..

Car .. 2006 T180 with New 3/4 engine . Injectors and EGR and DPF all changed 5 to 6 thousand miles ago.. Fitted with Lindop Toyota tuning box set at default position 6.

The trip taken with tank brimmed at the Forth Road Bridge..

Then Re filled near to Jct 7 M5.

Using Vpower.. Trip complete Remaining range 135 miles and just over the quarter tank on the fuel gauge needle..

Using ASDA Diesel Same trip same conditions same driving style.. Trip complete. Remaining Range 65 miles near to empty on the fuel gauge needle....

So thats a difference of 70 miles extra using Shell Vpower Diesel... Lets say the car does 40 to a gallon on a steady long run like this and diesel is £6.50 a gallon....................... Well You do the sums

Conclusion... Well if I was told this frankly I would not believe it .. But I do this trip once a month and I have checked this both on the run down and the run back and it never varies by more than about 5% which I suppose is just traffic or no traffic.

I will openly admit to being the biggest sceptic about these posh fuels until The Toyota Chap put words to the wise...

Like Dave above I have always put posh fuel in the Jag with its twin turbo V6 engine pumping 315 BHP and 670NM of torque courtesy of a Spires Re Map I wouldn't put anything else.... But in a cooking car like the RAV I would have carried on filling wherever fuel was cheap just as I had done with the many vans I had over the Years..

Add to the above figures a cleaner burning and therefore cleaner engine why would We use anything else....

I absolutely assure You all that the above figures are true and I have tried different fuels time and time again with the same results..

You choose ........ :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Interesting Charlie but does this apply to petrol engines too? I would have thought if there was any serious evidence to support the idea that cheaper fuels cause mechanical problems Shells marketing department would be trumpeting it at every available opportunity...

If it wrecked engines it should not be sold. But it is so must not.

Performance engine may benifit but normal 100 bhp engines not to sure it will do any good

If you want your Petrol or Diesel car to run more efficiently then use a fuels like BP Optimax or Shell V-Power, as these are able to clean the fuel and combustion system far better than normal fuels due to the higher amounts of additive packages they have in them...

Interesting Charlie but does this apply to petrol engines too? I would have thought if there was any serious evidence to support the idea that cheaper fuels cause mechanical problems Shells marketing department would be trumpeting it at every available opportunity...

Well the only petrol cars I have owned in recent Years were the likes of Audi RS4 B7 V8 And RS6. Scooby WRX , and stuff like that. All were fed super unleaded so cant really comment on the petrol cars Mate..

One thing I can say though is that My Diesel Rav just drinks supermarket diesel...

I am neither, knowledgable or clever enough to put foreward a valid argument against supermarket diesel and v power, what i do know is both my cabs and the other thousand cabs in Manchester run fine on the cheapest fuel available, My rav gets super diesel or non supermarket diesel wth an additive in (Wynns OR Millers) and that runs fine as well, what i have noticed on both these additives, is that they help to lubricate, the engine and reduce the effect of ULSD (ultra low sulphur diesel) I also think that the biggest problems with modern diesels are the add ons in order to reuce emissions, EGRs Cats, particulate filters etc, we were doing fine till these things were introduced to comply with EURO 111..IV and now V...just my thoughts for what they are worth....Stew

I am neither, knowledgable or clever enough to put foreward a valid argument against supermarket diesel and v power, what i do know is both my cabs and the other thousand cabs in Manchester run fine on the cheapest fuel available, My rav gets super diesel or non supermarket diesel wth an additive in (Wynns OR Millers) and that runs fine as well, what i have noticed on both these additives, is that they help to lubricate, the engine and reduce the effect of ULSD (ultra low sulphur diesel) I also think that the biggest problems with modern diesels are the add ons in order to reuce emissions, EGRs Cats, particulate filters etc, we were doing fine till these things were introduced to comply with EURO 111..IV and now V...just my thoughts for what they are worth....Stew

Interesting and valid points Stew. I say interesting because My Dad ran a Cab firm right up to the day He died..

It was considered his cars engines did spaceship mileage for two reasons

The cars ( In those days Ford Granada diesels) had the oil changed every 5.000 miles without fail. The Old Man was an old school stickler when it came to maintenance...

Secondly because the cars were on constant or near constant use so the period that really takes it toll on an engine IE the cold start and warm up period was minimal.. Those old school diesel engines did hundreds of thousands of miles with vary little problems..

I believe the fuel acts in a similar way ?? I can appreciate the Cab drives being reluctant to filling up with Posh diesel on the pump cost alone but could this be short sighted ??

I absolutely give My word that the figures in My post above are genuine and that My Rav with its 2.2 diesel just goes so much farther on posh diesel than the less expensive stuff...

Of course in the Old Mans days Posh diesel was a thing of the future,, I remember putting half a gallon of petrol in and that's right Gallon not litres as they were also a thing of the future.to help stop the diesel from freezing in winter ... EEEEee Them were the days lol ....

I was only 20 or so.. I worked full time as a Roof tiler during the day,, A couple of evenings driving for the Old Fella ( He had both Public and private hire cars) And two nights a week as a nightclub Doorman..... 3 jobs.. Poor buggers count themselves lucky if They have one these days.........

I've used Millers diesel clean (And its many other new names) for well over 15 years in all my diesels! I must admit I've found that it really does make the car run smoother and far less smoke out of the tail pipe. But as for given more mpg (As user groups on Millers suggest) then thats a different matter!!! the lubes in there can help the fuel pump with the ULSD that we have today (sulpher was used as the lube before) and improve/clean up the spray patten of the injectors plus helps with the front and back end burn!...

I get Front and back end burn... Front when eating a good Vindaloo. Back whe..................... :D

LMAO... :lol2: I get one after 10 pints of Brains SA and a Bindaloo :blowup: :blowup:

name='CharlieFarlie' timestamp='1327605578' post='1181489']

Secondly because the cars were on constant or near constant use so the period that really takes it toll on an engine IE the cold start and warm up period was minimal.. Those old school diesel engines did hundreds of thousands of miles with vary little problems..

I was only 20 or so.. I worked full time as a Roof tiler during the day,, A couple of evenings driving for the Old Fella ( He had both Public and private hire cars) And two nights a week as a nightclub Doorman..... 3 jobs.. Poor buggers count themselves lucky if They have one these days.........

I think you have hit the nail on the head Charlie, it seems the harder you work a diesel the better they run... I am not sure about the poor buggers who are lucky if they have one job, Stop giving SOME of them £26000 a year in benefits, and they might try a bit harder to find work, If i had £26000 a year i could happily put my feet up...Stew

Stop giving SOME of them £26000 a year in benefits, and they might try a bit harder to find work, If i had £26000 a year i could happily put my feet up...Stew

SOME of the some are being given that AND they have jobs..............................

Stop giving SOME of them £26000 a year in benefits, and they might try a bit harder to find work, If i had £26000 a year i could happily put my feet up...Stew

SOME of the some are being given that AND they have jobs..............................

Now Now lads lets not get all P e r l i t i c a l .................................. B)

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links