Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Verso - P1250 Turbocharger System Malfunction

toyota4me

hi guys,

Thank you for a wonderful forum, i'm glad i joined here. This is my first post, so please accept my apologies if i miss out any information. I have had a Toyota Avensis Verso 2.0 D-4D which has done approx 80k. This has been running fine for a good six months. However one issue I have noticed is that when i speed the vehicle, say for example to overtake or just to move quicker, it kind of goes into limp mode. If i keep my foot on the accelerator for long enough, the vehicle will try to move faster, but eventually it will trigger the EML light and the car will stall. This ONLY happens when I try to go faster.

I took it to a local mechanic who put it on his machine and it came up with P1250 Turbocharger System Malfunction. He without doing further diagnosis, said the whole turbo needs replacing which will cost a lot of money, but i'm suspicious he's just trying to scam me.

I've fallen upon hard times and don't have hundreds to spend, but other than the very basics, I don't have much knowledge when it comes to vehicles. I'm hoping someone can help me solve this problem and provide me with a step-by-step guide or photos/locations on where and how to fix this. Is it serious?

Thanks

Toyota4me

hi matey

1. check with el sensor on the turbo unit;

2. check with flexibility of the turbo vanes and respective vane axises;

3. undo suction rubber hose and manually rotate the rotor -- is it an easy to rotate?

4. Open an EGR valve cover and inspect what is under the cover. Whether holes are partly/full covered by carbon deposits?

5. Are you sure an air filter is in order??? May be turbo needs more breathing?

Cheers/Igor

Hi igormus,

Thank you for you reply. i'm sorry for not getting back earlier. I have had a few personal problems, so didn't get a chance to go online.

I'm going to be honest mate and say that i don't know where the EL sensor is or what to check with the rest of the parts.

Surely there must be a GUIDE that I can follow???????

Just today, it happened again...as i went up the hill, i only accelerated slightly more and the EML came on, causing the car to go in a limp mode. I parked the car on the side and switched off the engine for a minute and restarted again. The EML light went off and the car continued as normal.

Hi igormus,

Thank you for you reply. i'm sorry for not getting back earlier. I have had a few personal problems, so didn't get a chance to go online.

I'm going to be honest mate and say that i don't know where the EL sensor is or what to check with the rest of the parts.

Surely there must be a GUIDE that I can follow???????

Just today, it happened again...as i went up the hill, i only accelerated slightly more and the EML came on, causing the car to go in a limp mode. I parked the car on the side and switched off the engine for a minute and restarted again. The EML light went off and the car continued as normal.

Same symptoms to the ones I had in my Jag and turned out to be the Mafs (it had 2)

but how can i check and confirm this mate? Does it sound like a costly problem? How do i fix it?

but how can i check and confirm this mate? Does it sound like a costly problem? How do i fix it?

The Jag was done under warranty but sure you can clean them and theres a `how to do it` somewhere on the forum.

i wish there was a guide mate. I have found one a while ago, but i think it was for a different vehicle...i need it for my avensis verso.

5252664226_94c1aec618_z.jpg

On the Airbox top right with the yellow sticker it has a hose feeding into it, where the hose meets the box there is a multiplug connected to a small unit that says Denso on it, this is held in with 4 screws. Remove the unit and clean the sensor part (the bit that lives in the hose) with electrical contact cleaner. Do NOT touch the sensor with anything except the contact cleaner fluid.

Whilst there take the top off the airbox and see if the air filter is clean as Igor mentioned.

Try this first, the turbo pointers Igor mentions are way more complex.

If the turbo is cream crackered they need to be replaced with new or a recon unit. Its a bolt on bolt off job for a mechanic, not something most people would do at home.

Thank you very much cabcurtains. I'm sorry that i didn't get back in touch sooner. I set the "Follow Topic", but i didn't receive any emails to say i got a reply, so i thought maybe no one has replied yet. Nevermind

Unfortunately is it snowing and too cold at the moment, but i plan to look at it ASAP.

Do NOT touch the sensor with anything except the contact cleaner fluid

What contact cleaner fluid are you talking about? Where do i get it from?

Thanks!

Thank you very much cabcurtains. I'm sorry that i didn't get back in touch sooner. I set the "Follow Topic", but i didn't receive any emails to say i got a reply, so i thought maybe no one has replied yet. Nevermind Unfortunately is it snowing and too cold at the moment, but i plan to look at it ASAP.
Do NOT touch the sensor with anything except the contact cleaner fluid
What contact cleaner fluid are you talking about? Where do i get it from? Thanks!

eBay

http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p4712.m570.l1312&_nkw=electrical+contact+cleaner&_sacat=See-All-Categories

thanks very much for clarifying that dave. I believe Halfords and screwfix which are local to me sell it for about £4, so i'll grab it tomorrow. Since the weather here is very poor at the moment, i'm going to hold off, but as soon as it gets better, i'll give it a try and update you.

Once again thanks so much for your advice....its really appreciated. If you have any other suggestions, then please let me know.

Cheers!

Thats the stuff, fingers crossed for you smile.png

Hi guys,

Even though it had snowed heavy last night, i've managed to look under the bonnet (Photos below). But its a bit different from the one shown. I do have a "denso", but its in a different location. Also there is a 2nd connector (Hitachi make), which is attached on top of the air filter pipe. So which one is it?

P1020855.jpg

P1020856.jpg

P1020858.jpg

P1020861.jpg

P1020862.jpg

thanks for confirming mate. i will give it a try as soon as is possible and get back to you.

do you simply spray the cleaner on the sensor, but not rub it down with a cloth?

cheers

thanks for confirming mate. i will give it a try as soon as is possible and get back to you.

do you simply spray the cleaner on the sensor, but not rub it down with a cloth?

cheers

No don`t touch

right mate, so i simply spray?

thanks

right mate, so i simply spray? thanks

As far as I know mate, I`ve not actually done the job myself, only what I`ve heard and read.

Little vid, take it out, spray, let it dry, put it back, ignore the use of carb cleaner, its not advised. Ignore the electrical testing part for obvious reasons.

Cheers mate! Your a star! Credit to you!

I'm gonna give it a try and let you know how i get on.

Thanks so much again!

i tried to open the hitachi sensors 2 screws, but the grill is in the way...how do i remove that?

come on guys! i've been waiting for days for this answer...surely someone must know?

i tried to open the hitachi sensors 2 screws, but the grill is in the way...how do i remove that?

Its unclear what you mean, have you removed the unit for access or are you trying clean it in situ ?

Sorry mate. What i meant is that i can't even open the screws that are holding the sensor, because at the moment there the metal grill to which the wipers are attached to, is in the way. Once i can remove this, then i should have easy access to open the screws.