Do Not Sell My Personal Information

2.0 D4D Engine Howling

Weta

2.0 d4d engine howling Just watched a you tube video on this and The noise is the same as mine. They say its the fuel filter needs replaced but is it ? Anyone know if it is or not. Cant get yhe link up for video.

I belive there was a modified fuel filter cap of some sort.....................do a search for howling fuel fuilter.

Mine used to do it a lot. The info about a modified filter housing/assembly seemed a bit confusing when I looked into it as there appeared to be a modified one which was then also subsequently modified again and nobody seemed to be able to confirm that fitting (either) modification had solved the problem. Mine was almost completely sorted simply by replacing the fuel filter which I didn't appear to have been changed from new. It's worth a go as its a cheap fix if it works.

Thats my engine bay & video..........not the cleanest

However.....i did have the fuel filter ' head ' changed years ago for the ...at the time ' modified ' version.Which was supposed to stop the howling.

It worked for about 2 months........been howling ever since....worse in summer

I just put up with it :(

I had the modified fuel filter fitted about a year ago.

I think it has improved, but it certainly hasn't gone away completely.

Now......i thought i read on here somewhere another newer updated fuel filter head,superseded yet again....

I'm sure i have read about it in last few months :g:

I've had a similar howling noise coming from power steering pump..........I sprayed grease into the bearing area and its been ok so far.

I was ready for changing it but its gone quiet now....just a thought.

The howling noise is no where near the fuel filter ? So why new filter

Weta I (obviously) don't know the source of the noise on your car but in my case it was exactly the same as on the youtube clip. I simply replaced the fuel filter - nothing else got any attention or squirts of WD etc and the noise was no longer. Seems quite clear mine was related to the fuel supply in some way. Hope this helps.

I've had a similar howling noise coming from power steering pump..........I sprayed grease into the bearing area and its been ok so far.

I was ready for changing it but its gone quiet now....just a thought.

At the risk of sounding like a complete girl, and a blonde one at that ;) , does anyone have a picture of the power steering pump, and what kind of grease should I spray on the bearings?

I had the fuel filter changed at the same time as the fuel filter cap. One thing that the garage said at the time is that the filter was exceptionally dirty (asked if I had been using supermarket fuel?). They recommended that I make my next fill with super diesel, and use Redex periodically.

The idea of the power steering being something to do with the howling is sounding like a possibility to me. The noise often happens on a right turn. When I first noticed the noise (a year or two ago), I thought it was the wind/air catching the roof rails because, as I say, it was noticeable on turning.

I'm going to try this power steering possibility.

It's up top lefthand side of engine bay, I just used comma spray grease, don't not use WD40, or you'll wash out whatever grease is in there and make the problem worse.

I sprayed between the pully wheel and where it goes into the pump, I did this with engine running

I seem to remember mine got worse also on full lock.....Sorry no pics as on mobile telecomunication device :-)