Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Surf 3Rd Generation Rear Brake Bind - Help

ajstars

Does anyone have any experience of fitting Milners rear brake shoes to a 3rd gen surf? I fitted them but found there was some challenge in fitting the adjuster mechanism to the pin on the shoes due to over sized pin rifling (the grooves to stop the pin spinning in the brake shoe). Anyway eventually they went on and all adjusters were adjusted off. The wheels span normally. After about 20 miles of driving though the brakes became red hot and I could no longer turn the rear wheels. The local Toyota garage spent two hours removing the drums and refitting the shoes and all was well for about - you guessed it 20 miles. I can see no logical reason for this happening as the shoes are over adjusting themselves during use. The adjuster Is clean and all copper greased up and the handbrake is adjusted off. Could it be that the adjuster mechanism is binding on that oversized pin and as a result is constantly adjusting the brakes on? Has anyone else had a similar problem with Milners shoes? I am being told that they will replace them but won't cover the cost of any labour or damage caused - is this correct or should they be covering these costs too as it must be a faulty part?

ajstars

Take them out, chuck them in the bin and fit a set from Roughtrax.

Had the same issues....problem is the Milners shoes diameter are not a match with the drum diamater....they are a couple of mm bigger and hence only conact with the drum at either end of the shoe = overheating, rattling, etc. And for some reason the ajduster keeps on winding itself out and forcing the brakes on...dont know why it happens but it just does and you'll never cure it with these shoes....I tried for 5 weeks to sort it out myself and 2 trips to local garage..

When you get the roughtrax ones hold them up against the milners set and you'll see the problem

Roughtrax also sell the fitting kits for the new shoes if your existing bits n bobs are corroded or broken

Honestly as asoon as the roughtrax set were in then all problems GONE

cheers

Scuddy

Just in case you wondered It is a surf I'm talking about as I too have a 1996 3rd Gen as well as a 2007 Hilux

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, thanks for your reply, thats interesting, because I sent these back to Milner and have been told they sell loads and never have had a problem! Well new shoes from another source did indeed fix the problem.

Thanks

• 9 years later...

i have a Hilux mk 4 with the same issue just looked where i got my shoes from and it was Rougtrax make is Kavo so any help with why it would still be happening?

at wits end with it i love my Hilux but it is wearing me down