Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Thermostat Replacement

undertaker_09

Hi!

I've just picked up a new thermostat for my Carina e, but need some guidance replacing it!

Firstly- i'm having a lil trouble locating the original stat-could anyone explain where abouts it's located?!

Secondly- any chance of a brief, easy to follow guide to actually removing the old stat and installing the new one?!

And last of all-is there anything else i need to do to carry out this job?!

I'm hoping someone will be able to point me in the right direction! I will be so greatful for any help ya can give me!

Fingers crossed!

You need to drain some water from the engine before you open up the housing.

Then you remove the hoses that is connected to the house. It is just to make the house a bit more mavable when you change the thermostat.

Then you remove the house and inside you find the thermostat.

On the 1.6 and 1.8 engines it is in the end of the engine above the gearbox.

I am not sure if it is located at the same place on the 3s-fe and 3s-ge engines.

I would recomend you to buy the Haynes workshop. There are good pictures and good detailed descriptions too. I am sure you will find a good copy at e-bay.

Thanks Balikbayan, your input is very much appreciated :-)

• 2 weeks later...

To add to the posting by Magnus,If the bolts have not been shifted for a while it wont hurt to give them a dose of easing oil for a couple of days before doing the job as I have in the past had them snap on me!!

This will lessen the chance of this happening

Hope you bought the gasket too.

Del

• 6 months later...

Hi everyone, I feel like a nob asking but maybe someone can guide me finding thermostat location on avensis t3s d4d 2004, as the heating stoped working and coolant leaks really badly, I will try replacing it maybe helps a bit.

P.S. picture of thermostat location would be much appreciated, I have looked everywhere but just can figure out where it is.

thanks

• 2 weeks later...

Surely it is best fixing the leak first, that's probably why your heating isn't working. Do you know where it is leaking from? A broken hose perhaps?

• 4 weeks later...

garethpaul, I checked the hoses and they seem to be ok, there are splashes of rusted water around coolant container if that makes sense, as I understand coolant is being blown out through overflow pipe that is on the top of coolant container, thermostat stuck maybe, just the problem I cant find the ***** :) and that doesn't help me ''The thermostat is located on the coolant inlet pipe in the housing bolted onto the engine block'', Iam not very good with cars :/

Follow the big coolant hose from the top of the radiator to your engine - where it meets the engine will be a housing bolted to the engine with two bolts - the thermostat is within this housing.

A stuck thermostat is not the cause of what you are experiencing.

The "coolant container" also known as the expansion tank will under normal operation fill up with coolant when the engine is hot due to the increase in pressure. When the engine cools, it gets sucked back into the radiator.

Make sure the rubber expansion pipe that goes from your radiator to this expansion tank is fitted right down into the bottom of the expansion tank so the radiator doesn't draw in air when the engine cools.

You need to find out where it is leaking - are your footwells wet?

When your engine is cold, top up the coolant in the radiator until it won't take any more, and let the engine run up to temperature and see if you can see any leaks/drips.

thanks mate, I did managed to find thermostat and changed it, I followed bottom radiator house, very little space to work around was a painful a bit. I will drive to work tomorrow and see will there be any heating at all :) p.s. checked the hoses, filled up with coolant and run the engine to normal temp, seems all good no leaks, just that overflow pipes worries me, will check tomorrow will there be any splashes.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links