Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Spotting Its A 2Wd 4.3 - Without Looking Underneath?

cabcurtains

Hello Ravers,

As per the title are they badged in any way? Or is it a look underneath or get the V5 out to be sure?

Not that i dont trust a stealer's ad of course... :o a RAV2 just doesnt have the same ring about it.

If you are looking at an advert and trying to determine from there, forget it. When I was looking at ads and phoning up to check details, I found nearly all ads just listed every option and spec item as if they were all were fitted.

If you are looking at post face-lift cars (early 2011 onwards) then SRs are all 4WD, and if it has Leather/Electric/Heated seats it is a 4WD (the connection? in an marketing mans head).

Before that, no idea.

Look for a 4WD LOCK button on the dash. If it's a 2WD it may have an AUTO LSD button or just a blank in that spot.

Our Main Dealer has one for sale, and as I recollect there is no badging on it to say it,s 2wd.I do know that he,s had it on the forecourt for nearly 18 months (2010 model same refreshed model as Hoovies) and he cannot sell it. The colour is Black and he wants £22000 for it!!!!! With the greatest respect, if you wanted a Rav4 why would you buy this model? 2wd no thanks. Stunning looker with the new chrome grille

Regards Clare

I would have a look underneath any way...............only takes 2 seconds, or buy an inspection mirror. :)

Looking underneath is a must when buying a MK1 freelander, as there are a lot of them with the prop shaft removed..........I went to look at one once at a car dealership, he said it was a cracker!!!!!!!!!!!!......I looked underneath and said "your the cracker mate" you bought a 4x4 in with no prop shaft LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D

He was devistated............I made a sharp exit :bye:

So the moral of the story is............never take anyones word for anything, always best to check yourself, using your own mince pies, even touch the part with your hands to make sure your are not seeing things :ermm:

If you are looking at an advert and trying to determine from there, forget it. When I was looking at ads and phoning up to check details, I found nearly all ads just listed every option and spec item as if they were all were fitted.

Before that, no idea.

I thought you might say that, i dont think some of the dealer salesman would have a clue what they were looking at or selling, the ads hardly inspire confidence. There must be a marker on the VIN or somewhere :unsure: I really dont get the 2WD SUV thing, it makes no sense to me.

Jedi if its an approved Toyota and some clown has nicked the prop of a 4x4 car, i'll chuck the towel in :lol:

Do the 4.3 4x4's have the LOCK button Junebug mentions?

It has the diff-lock for low ratio.

Regards Clare

Before that, no idea.

I thought you might say that, i dont think some of the dealer salesman would have a clue what they were looking at or selling, the ads hardly inspire confidence. There must be a marker on the VIN or somewhere :unsure: I really dont get the 2WD SUV thing, it makes no sense to me.

Jedi if its an approved Toyota and some clown has nicked the prop of a 4x4 car, i'll chuck the towel in :lol:

Do the 4.3 4x4's have the LOCK button Junebug mentions?

Landrover Dealership!!! :D

You can check what spec the car is via VIN number, but need dealership software............which is available on certain sites :dontgetit:

So does anyone have a 4.3 without the diff lock button?

Or

Does anyone have a RAV2 and think they have a RAV4? And wishes to confess.....that they have a blank switch and have always wondered why....

I wouldn't buy a car without looking underneath, especially when it's so easy on a RAV.

I drive a 2WD RAV4 because:

1. It almost never snows here on the Gulf Coast.

2. Our terrain is flat.

3. The 4WD is more expensive, requires more maintenance and has more bits that can go wrong.

4. The 2WD uses less fuel.

5. The Toyota dealers here don't stock the 4wd for the reasons listed above.

So its a RAV2 then, it aint no Recreational Activity Vehicle, 4-wheel drive is it :P

I think the 2WDs are fairly uncommon in the UK.

On the RAV4.2 is was nice and easy for UK specs .... only one base vehicle with the 1.8 was 2WD - rest were all 4WD.

On the RAV4.3, the 2WD option is quite recent as well (maybe even only option available on facelift version in fact?), so the earlier 4.3s will be all 4WD (this is my understanding anyway)

Correct Dave, only brought in on the very latest facelift. (like yours). Me thinks it was a pure marketing ploy, hardly any difference between them on Mpg.

Regards Clare

Sorry Clare, but it starts with the 2010 single grill bar cars that are both, they are the ones splattered all over Autotrader as XTR's some marked as 2WD and then 4x4 in the details. Others are low priced non 2WD's that are probably incorrectly written ad's and are actually 2WD's.

As it stands at present it will be a look underneath or a place to go test the system. I still think there will be a way to tell though without checking the "system" at the Mr T.

As I said earlier, just look for this button. If it's not there, it's not 4WD:

4wd_lock.jpg

stand a few feet behind the car and crouch down.......you'll see the diff

That is a bit tricky to do when you are looking at an advert!!

I think JuneBugs idea is possibly the best way to give the best idea if there are photos of the interior (assuming they are not library images, of course!!)

Upgrade to 4WD also gives automatic upgrade to Leather (on latest facelift version) so that is another possible way from photos, but it *may* be possible to select Leather without choosing 4WD?

So to conclude i will have to physically see the car and inspect it myself to be sure, as Hoovie mentions thats the issue, the ad's are unreliable.

If i travel 100's of miles to buy a car and the seller is a chump as they haven't looked properly, there's going to be a murder!

Thanks for the help folks :thumbsup:

Total long shot Dale,I know,perhaps the previous owner is a member on here.

If you know the reg maybe a general appeal ??

Clutching at straws,or what!!!!!

Del

Total long shot Dale,I know,perhaps the previous owner is a member on here.

If you know the reg maybe a general appeal ??

Clutching at straws,or what!!!!!

Del

Its just a general question right now, i will be taking action about replacing the Van in the near future, once the winter prices weaken that is....snow flakes have been spotted again though, dam it!

I was hoping they would be badged or something else external oh well.

Get the seller to take a photo from under the rear and of the dash and send it to you if it's not clear ?

If they're keen to sell it shouldn't be a problem.

Get the seller to take a photo from under the rear and of the dash and send it to you if it's not clear ?

If they're keen to sell it shouldn't be a problem.

You beat me to it.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links