Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Possible Avensis Tourer Purchase But Advice Needed!

davesm

Hi All,

I would appreciate some advice on a possible Avensis Tourer purchase but I have a few queries if people can help me out. I've owned an avensis tourer before - an 06 2.2 T180 but I had a few problems with it so didn't keep it long. The main issues was that I only averaged 34-36mpg in real world driving despite the promised 40-45mpg and the auto windscreen wipers were overly sensitive and couln't be switched to manual operation and they drove me nuts.

Anyways, I'm looking to change away from my Focus 2.0 TDCi and am considering my options. I do around 15-20k a year but my daily commute is only 6 miles to work. My Focus does not have a DPF and I was wondering if the 2.0 D4D and the 2.2 150bhp have one? I am considering petrol but I prefer how a diesel drives plus am thinking 1.8 may not be powerful enough for such a big car. With the afroementioned diesels what real world economy are people achieving? I would like the T180 again but as this will be the main everyday car I must get reasonable economy and 34-36mpg for a diesel is not great; does the 150bhp perform better or am i better off with the 2.0?

On a practical note: with my 06 tourer the rear seat base folded up and then the back rests folded down so that you have a fairly flat loading area; are the new models (09 onwards) the same as I have heard rumours that the seat base does not fold up? We go camping a lot and we need as much luggage area as possible as we have bikes and dogs to transport too. Also, with the later models can the auto wipers be switched off?

Sorry for all of the questions but my nearest dealer is an hour and a half away!

Many thanks

are you looking at a new or s/h purchase?

be aware that at least for Avensis produced up until the end of February 2009 there is a potential for both 2.0 & 2.2 D4Ds to develop a head gasket problem - Toyota have extended the warranty for this to 7 years/112k miles.

Over the years they have made both D-CAT & non D-CAT versions of both the 2.0 D4D & 2.2 150bhp D4D. Looking at the 2012 price list it appears that for the UK the 2.0 D4D is non D-CAT & they offer both with & without for the 2.2 (think that the D-CAT is only on the Auto transmission version).

The 1.8 petrol produces more bhp than the 2.0 D4D & virtually the same as the 2.2 D4D but of course not as much torque.

My non D-CAT 2.2 probably averages ~45mpg over the year (certainly better than a T180).

On my facelift T25 the auto-wipers (& lights) are manually switchable as well.

Hiedfirst - if the 2012 2.0 D4D is non D-Cat - does this mean that we can rejoice in the lack of a DPF - awesome if true.

Incidentally was browsing through magazines at the newsagents the other day and it may have been diesel car but they had a small test (the sort they have for a new model introduction) of the Hyundai i20 1.4 (i think) CRDI whatever Hyundais green version is called. I was surprised to hear

mention that Hyundai have managed to get buy without a DPF

Red diesel

Hiedfirst - if the 2012 2.0 D4D is non D-Cat - does this mean that we can rejoice in the lack of a DPF - awesome if true.

afaik D-CAT=DPF so no D-CAT= no DPF.

The 2012 Toyota UK Passenger Car Price List is here

Hi thanks for the replies. Sorry, forgot to add that ideally I would be looking at around an 08-09 model depending on the spec and cost. I didn't realise that the diesel variants were offered both with and without a DPF and was unaware of the head gasket issues.

was unaware of the head gasket issues.

search this & the RAV4 forum - it's not a simple gasket replacement job.

The current fix is a new 3/4 engine which if you were paying would probably cost you ~£6k! Luckily (within the 7 years/112k miles) it's Mr T paying not customers.

Having said that it seems like all modern diesels have their problems but imo few manufacturers would respond to them as well as Toyota have for this.

• 2 weeks later...

Am I right in thinking that if I did take a punt on the diesel bought from a Toyota dealer and serviced by Toyota then if I did have a head gasket problem it would be fixed FOC by Toyota under their extended warranty scheme? Also, what would the recommendation be? A 2.0 or the 2.2 (150)? I would avoid the T180 as when i last had one the economy was v poor - ave around 34-36mpg. Also with the seats down does the new shape have as much boot space as the old model?

Thanks gain.

You will have to get an 09/09 for the new shape, boot space appears to be 1500 vs 1609 litres in the new shapes favour.

Seats do go flat.

Yes the car would currently qualify for a 3/4 engine if required provided the service history is complete up to the previously stated mileage. BUT new shape cars dont have the engine issue as far as i know.

Alink you will like http://www.ricabilit...&Measurement=cm

Hiedfirst - if the 2012 2.0 D4D is non D-Cat - does this mean that we can rejoice in the lack of a DPF

All 2012 Toyota diesels meet Euro 5 and have a DPF.

are you sure? for the UK they certainly aren't all D-CAT (which have DPF) .

D-CAT is the 5th injector DPF, the others must have a regular system as part of the cat to hit Euro 5.

Afraid so, even the Hilux gets one for the first time ever.