Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Miles Per Tank

Nightstalker

Hello all...

I'm sure this must have been asked before... but me being non technically minded am unable to find it...

I'm toying with the idea to trade my vensis in for a new shaped prius, sofar when I've looked into mpg and miles per tank I've never got anywhere near what I've heard.

I know its to do with the kind of driving, ie through town on motorway, am I heavy footed etc..

my driving style is melow, I dont speed away so take it easy on my right foot, I do a 16ish mile round trip to work each day, of which most are through town.

Out of my Avensis estate I get a range of about 250 miles (55ltr tank) before the fuel light comes on... engine size is 2ltr auto CVT box...

So my question is, realisticly what milage I can expect to get out of a prius before I need to go and fill up, based on town driving with a little of dual carriage way thrown in.

Also whats it like on a long haul motorway drive...

I will have to get a roof box for it as we are a family of 5 and the boot space is pretty small, however these trips are once perhaps twice a year...

Anywho, before I waffle on more, any advice from you fine people out there is greatly appreciated.

Regards

Rob

in short, my Gen 2 has never done less than 400 mile on a tank and more commonly hovers around 450 per tank.

The Prius is MUCH better than any other car in town. On a run I think my Prius is ace. I was regularly doing business trips north of Newcastle and it flew up the motorway at 80 to 90 MPH and still averaged 54mpg.

You will find much the same response to mine. I doubt you'll regret buying a Prius.

Hi I normally run to 420 miles (2 bars left) then fill to top and put in 35 ltr so 10 ltr left having just reached 14000 miles the computer shows 59.3 to the gallon which in the real world is 56 to the gallon average,in the summer I get 64 to 68 to the gallon in the winter 56 to 59

My 2.5 mile trip to work gets me 45mpg minimum in winter so your longer trip of 8 miles each way should be better.

The tank holds 45 Litres and the low Fuel light (last bar on fuel gauge) flashes when there is still 10 litres left in mine, that would give me another 100 miles.

So I get at least 350 miles before the fuel light comes on, which equates to 450 miles per tank minimum.

Your longer journey will do better because the engine wil have warmed up.

Remember that is in Winter, heater on, lights on sometimes etc. In Summer it will be a lot better.

Worst case scenario, you're going to get 100 miles more than the Avensis, from a 10 litre less tank.

28mpg from your family wagon is poor to say the least. i have a gen 2 also and it regularly manages 48mpg+ (400 miles to a tank+) and that's under cold weather conditions and a heavy right foot. this will improve as we get warmer. before you start thinking why is this guy on about the gen 2 when i want the gen 3?! well the gen 3 is even more advanced and more frugal. i can safely say you won't get less than 50mpg in the prius you wish to get.

I'm toying with the idea to trade my vensis in for a new shaped prius, sofar when I've looked into mpg and miles per tank I've never got anywhere near what I've heard.

I know its to do with the kind of driving, ie through town on motorway, am I heavy footed etc..

my driving style is melow, I dont speed away so take it easy on my right foot, I do a 16ish mile round trip to work each day, of which most are through town.

Out of my Avensis estate I get a range of about 250 miles (55ltr tank) before the fuel light comes on... engine size is 2ltr auto CVT box...

So my question is, realisticly what milage I can expect to get out of a prius before I need to go and fill up, based on town driving with a little of dual carriage way thrown in.

I will have to get a roof box for it as we are a family of 5 and the boot space is pretty small, however these trips are once perhaps twice a year...

Hey Rob

You'd be a prime candidate for a Prius as a colleague at work has a petrol Avensis auto and he gets about half the mpg's I get.

I'll give you a couple of rough ideas of what mpg's you can expect out of a Prius as follows;

10 hour day of town taxi use; 48-52 mpg

Drive from Yorkshire to Bordeaux on motorways (80 mph in France) and French country lanes taking it a steady 55 mph; 62 mpg entire trip (included lots of town use).

Drive from Yorkshire to central London (Chelsea), queuing 1 hour into London, park up and 1.5 hours to getting out, - foot down all way home; 54 mpg

Drive from Harrogate to Lake District, drive around lakes enjoying the weekend, return home; 66 mpg

Drive from Harrogate to York at 50 mph taking it steady; 65 - 75 mpg - flat A road.

Crusing at 50 mph in motorway construction zones with average speed camera's; unlikely to be less than 75 mpg! seriously

Best trip I ever managed was 91 mpg over 11 miles but that is exceptional and you'd die of boredom or get shot in a road rage attack!?!

With a Prius tyre pressures make the difference, so always ensure they're spot on. Tyres also make a difference so always replace them with low rolling resistance as found on them at new. They do actually make a difference - seriously, and don't cost much extra.

My one concern would be you getting a roof box as that will destroy your mpg's I'm sure.

Hope this helps.

Might vary slightly with the version of Prius. My driving is mostly town, like yours. I fill up when the fuel indicator first beeps.

In the gen 2, I'd to be disappointed if I got less than 450 miles and regularly got over 500 miles.

In the gen 3, however, while accepting its still new and temperatures low, I'm struggling to get over 450. Searches on the web suggest that this is because the indicator beeps when there is about 8 litres left in the tank. That's a little earlier than the gen 2.

Have a rummage over at fuelly.com. Loads of prii there.

http://www.fuelly.com/car/toyota/prius

You can home in on a particular year to get gen2 or gen 3 data.

2009 was the changeover year (so 2009 contains both).

I can get 500 miles from a tank no problem. My record is 600.

If you do the maths (10 gallon tank [44 ltr] , av 55mpg) you could average 550 miles per tank.

Age of vehicle, temperature, driving style, tyre psi, load carried all affect the mpg so YMMV but you will easily better your current mpg.

I switched from a Verso 2-2 D4D automatic and was getting about 33 mpg !! With the Prius gen 3 I find the colder weather really effects fuel figurers and are now averaging about 50 mpg when in October admittedly doing runs of 120 miles each day and the weather was warmer was getting in the low 60s mpg .

The point is if you want an automatic car and the fact it a petrol automatic which is about 8-10 pence a litre cheaper on fuel there is little to touch it in my opinion. The nearest thing in automatics is the VW DSG and Ford power shift diesels which will match these consumption figurers

I wonder if the op has read any of these comments and advice? :ermm:

My '07 T-Spirit uses a tank of juice a week, running to work. 50 miles there, and 50 miles back (give or take a couple of hundred yards.

Normally, I would be about 5 - 10 miles away from my usual filling station when the fuel indicator drops to the last bar.

While I'm here, I have a question for those more knowledgable.

As I said, when I fill up the fuel indicator has just dropped to it's last bar on the dashboard. When filling I can usually put in 40 litres of fuel; which means that the last bar is indicating 5 litres left in the tank. That works out at 500 miles for 40 litres. Not too bad for winter driving.

Now I've never driven more than around 10 miles on the last bar, but I've heard that the last bar will start flashing when the tank is almost empty.

How empty, is almost empty? 2 litres left? 3 litres? Does anyone know?

I think it varies. I've had one bar flash and beep at me, though that's on the gen3.

How empty, is almost empty? 2 litres left? 3 litres? Does anyone know?

In my old '08 T-spirit I always used to wait till the last pip beeped and start flashing before looking to refuel. Often I'd go a further 25 miles, and typically putting in 42 - 43 litres.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links