Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Avensis 2.2 180 White Smoke

firstfixer

looks like I’ve got a white smoke problem when accelerating only done 50.000 on a 2006 2.2 180 .coolant level ok and bright pink. oil seems ok only used a litre in the last 5000 miles only difference in symptoms to others with same problem is no white streaks on plastic cover. Could it be anything else. any advice welcome thanks

looks like I’ve got a white smoke problem when accelerating only done 50.000 on a 2006 2.2 180 .coolant level ok and bright pink. oil seems ok only used a litre in the last 5000 miles only difference in symptoms to others with same problem is no white streaks on plastic cover. Could it be anything else. any advice welcome thanks

-----------

hi matey

white smoke possible reasons:

- issue with crankshaft position sensor --- gives a wrong signal to ECU and then to each injector solenoids.

- issue with fuel filter clogging.

- issue with late injection timing (see 1st item).

- issue with ballance between air and fuel (?)

as vissible you have no issues with head gasket thanks to you have a coolant pink color yet and stable level.

Cheers/Igor

the out of warranty cover by T is for up to 111K Miles or 7 years. so you have still a moment but I would certainly go and have it checked well before. if it's going you will get a new engine free of charge...

HI Igor will having these chequed cost a packet. thanks for the answers

Steve

igmorus, when do you get the white smoke? when the engine is cold or hot?

My 2.2 180 Auris is doing this now too, 51,000miles 2007. It isn't when the engine is stone cold, and it isn't when it's fully warmed up either. Every time I accelerate a bit harder, plumes of white smoke come out? No other symptoms.

It could be that its just so cold that your seeing water vapour!?

Sounds like the D-Cat doing its thing, or simply the modern day choke. I was sat behind a TDV6 Disco this morning and when it pulled away the car disappeared.

I thought it may be water vapour, but this is after 5 miles of driving and it never used to do it?

Again i hopen its the d cat doing its thing, but it happens nearly every day...

There are many threads on the topic of the D-Cat system, as its an emission's reducing tool it will work harder in cold weather.

As long as the basic's are checked (Water,Oil, Clean EGR) and its serviced on time you cant do a lot more, assuming your not going to start driving a lot more miles the only decision to make is at the 7yr 112k point.

Unless it has a major issue but you cant legislate for that.

hi Phil my avensis dose the same every day when accelerating doesn’t do it when cold . dose it when hot even on the motorway. if i keep to a constant speed it doesn’t do it a trip to mr t methinks

Steve

mine t180 did this a couple of years ago new egr valve fitted and problem went away or so i thought but then it started to rev high on tick over. My car had always used coolent from new in the end i needed a new engine due to high oil consumption now i get just the odd puff of smoke which i put down to the d-cat regeneration has it is only every 200 miles or so

-----------

hi matey

- issue with crankshaft position sensor --- gives a wrong signal to ECU and then to each injector solenoids.

as vissible you have no issues with head gasket thanks to you have a coolant pink color yet and stable level.

Cheers/Igor

Hi Igormus, Just booked in at Toyota for a diagnostic. Should the issues above show up when this is done?

Thanx Steve

igmorus, when do you get the white smoke? when the engine is cold or hot?

My 2.2 180 Auris is doing this now too, 51,000miles 2007. It isn't when the engine is stone cold, and it isn't when it's fully warmed up either. Every time I accelerate a bit harder, plumes of white smoke come out? No other symptoms.

normally it goes when starting up in cold condition. but if you start it well then check with fuel filter; EGR and MAF sensor.

i do not believe you have injection timing issue. but usuaslly white smoke is caused in most cases by late of injection (after compression stroke) confirming the fuel is being heated but not ignited giving such white smoke

I thought it may be water vapour, but this is after 5 miles of driving and it never used to do it?

Again i hopen its the d cat doing its thing, but it happens nearly every day...

firstly you'd find out the nature of this smoke -- is that water steam or unburnt diesel? it has either respective smell

hi matey

Cheers/Igor

Hi Igormus, Just booked in at Toyota for a diagnostic. Should the issues above show up when this is done?

Thanx Steve

Steve

they normally use a code reader just in case an errors are stored in.

but sometimes ECU shoess nothing and the conclusion of the mechanic is based on personal experience to deal with diesels

cheers

Gheers igor will keep u up to date 0n this .hope its not a costly one as only had the car 6 months .

thanks steve

Hi just got my car back from Toyota garage it went in for heavy smoke when accelerating . they cleaned egr and reprogrammed ecu what a difference hardly any smoke which they said would get better in a few days. It seems a lot quieter as well only concern they had was having to top up with a litre of oil told me to bring it back after 1000 miles.Id been keeping a watch on the oil and it was always on the heist mark on dip stick . when I check it now it’s over the mark and up to the top of the twist. Is this over filled are am I worrying over nothing.

Steve

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links