Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Effect Of Cold Temperature?

phantom2

Does anyone driving an Auris HSD also experienced the following when the car stayed out at night during freezing temperatures?

When starting the car (and during the first km's), the onboard computer display almost refuses to change when pressing the "display" button on the stearing wheel (which means it is changing very slowly).

Also, the update of the "instant consumption" seems to be much slower than normaly.

Strange that temperature has such an effect on the operation of a computer (or is it due to the "screen" displaying the information maybe?)

Greetz

No issues here, mine has lived outside in all weathers for the last 13 months with no problems.

Not really sure what to suggest apart from a quick call to your local dealer.

Set off pre-dawn this morning after a very cold night in Spain - ice on the roof was melting for the first 50km. Didn't notice any issues with displays, but fuel consumption was high till things warmed up!

Well, its not actualy a big issue or problem since it keeps on working, but I just wonder why it happens.

I'll ask my dealer in about 2 months when my first maintenance is sheduled, maybe he might give an answer (as long as it doesn't become worse of course and stops working!)

Does anyone driving an Auris HSD also experienced the following when the car stayed out at night during freezing temperatures?

Greetz

YUP !!

Had that for the first time the beginning of last week.

Have been running my Auris HSD since Sept. 2010 through last years [uK’s] quite severe winter with no occurrence.

Had a UK frosty start @ 0ºC [according to onboard ‘display’] last week.

Out of idle interest hit the ‘Average Consumption’ display just to see what was going on after about a mile or so, and to my surprise it indicated 58mpg.

This was obviously rubbish, cycled through the other parameters which seemed OK and decided to let it develop.

To my mind the stats displayed on the onboard display are advisory and for entertainment only at that particular time, and will eventually be corroborated by a Fuelly input or basic old tankfill to tankfill - miles done arithmetic calculation.

Subsequent trips from - 2ºC this week have produced reasonable results.

My advice = ignore indications - as long as your Fuelly or basic MPG sums are OK forget it.

TerryB

When starting the car (and during the first km's), the onboard computer display almost refuses to change when pressing the "display" button on the stearing wheel (which means it is changing very slowly).

Also, the update of the "instant consumption" seems to be much slower than normaly.

Strange that temperature has such an effect on the operation of a computer (or is it due to the "screen" displaying the information maybe?)

Greetz

Yes I've noticed the same thing in my Auris - I notice a sort of ghosting as the display updates. I've put it down to the initial cold cabin temp and whichever display technology being used in the dashboard displays (e.g. LCD - I'm not sure what it is actually) not liking the cold. Once the heating has warmed the cabin up, its refresh rate appears to go back to normal.

I've never worried about it.

Greetz

Yes I've noticed the same thing in my Auris - I notice a sort of ghosting as the display updates. I've put it down to the initial cold cabin temp and whichever display technology being used in the dashboard displays (e.g. LCD - I'm not sure what it is actually) not liking the cold. Once the heating has warmed the cabin up, its refresh rate appears to go back to normal.

I've never worried about it.

It was minus 4 degrees when I went to work this morning in my new Auris HSD and I experienced the same thing as Gaz, just like an LCD calculator in the cold - once the car had warmed up the display was back to normal!

Hi there

Had my Auris Hybrid since July2011 been out all the time and never had that problem.

Cold weather has had an effect in that I am now getting average 50 mpg instaed of the 65 mpg I got in summer.

Toyaota dealers told me this is the norm - pity they didn't tell me that BEFORE I bought it!

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links