Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Droning Noise At 1500-1700 Revs 2.2 Litre

thaiad24

Hi

A little help would be great.

Ive noticed a droaning sound mainly in 2nd and 3rd gear (sometimes 4th) when the engine is slowing down in gear and reaches 1500 - 1700 revs.

It doesnt happen when im accelerating through 1500-1700 revs but it will happen if I rest my foot on the accelerator and keep the revs constantly at 1500-1700

any ideas?

thanks

probably the inlet pipe into the air filter box. There's an ill fitting foam ring that stops the pipe vibrating where it clips into the box but doesnt do a very good job of it. that plus i think the pipe contracts a little in the cold weather becoming a loose fit. I just sealed mine up with some silicon sealer, bobs your auntie!

probably the inlet pipe into the air filter box. There's an ill fitting foam ring that stops the pipe vibrating where it clips into the box but doesnt do a very good job of it. that plus i think the pipe contracts a little in the cold weather becoming a loose fit. I just sealed mine up with some silicon sealer, bobs your auntie!

Cheers for the advice, ill have a look when i get home from work, could you please tell me where to find the air filter box (sorry ive no idea where things are)

As you look at the engine on the right hand side a large black box with a big hose coming off heading towards the rear of engine bay, has 3 or four metal clips holding the top onto the body. Its behind the Battery.

I've got exactly the same noise/symptoms and this makes sense.

The inlet pipe to the airbox seems secure enough - would it feel 'loose' for this noise to happen as a result?

Basically, before I unscrew the clip to have a look!

Thanks.

Cheers for the advise and this was the case! the noise has stopped.

I took the filter out of the filter box and the inlet pipe was a little loose but nothing major, i didnt have any sealent so i connected 2 tie wraps together and wrapped it underneath the inlet pipe and around the top of the filter box, this made the inlet pipe much more sturdy.

Im guessing if this forum didnt exist I may have been stung for a good few quid at the local garage for basically what was an easy fix for an problem that sounded worse than it was

cheers guys

Adam

I love this forum! I was just about to post the same question when I saw this thread. I recently had the engine changed under the extended warranty and just a couple of weeks later I noticed the engine growling whenever I decelerate (engine braking). I'll take a look at the filter box later.

Forums like this are great for help. I'd like to thank Adam for getting in touch with me to tell me how he fixed it. Weather permitting, I'll be having a look at my air box/inlet pipe in the next few days.

It certainly sounds very plausible as the reason behind the noise I'm hearing - it's close to an induction roar type of noise / resonance.

the movement is minimal but this whats making your noise, is goes away during the warm months as the plastic expands, i had this for 3 years before i joined this forum and found the answer and yes it sounds just like induction roar.

As a new member, I have just read this.

Guess what, I had identical symtoms for 18 months before I could finally trace the vibration noise.

It drove me mad. In My case, all I did was cut a very small piece of cotton cloth and with the aid of a small flat bladed screwdriver shuved it into the gap on the outside of the air filter box where the trunk enters the box. Result ~ serenity and being able to turn the radio down.

• 10 months later...

I also suffered from this until today, took the airbox off, removed the original spongy seal and replace it with double sided sticky tape. Fixed and no costly garages, well done Pault38!!

Hi Folks,

Now this sounds very much like the problem I have with a 2007 T3X (D4D 2.0) I am a true mechanical numpty and with an earlier D4D engine had to have the dmf replaced at mega cost. I was rather frightened this light rumbling like sound was the start of the same!

The noise occurs mainly in second gear, approx 1500-1800 revs as I lift my foot off the accelerator.

Any further thoughts or comments?

Now a real plea..... any chance of a photo to help me identify exactly where I need to seal?

With best regards, Richard

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links